Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Anyone else from #StaffProto care to weigh in on 'bottom groove' shots with the C200's?
Nothing is going to save a shot that you hit on the equator because you pulled up before making contact *guilty as charged*, but as someone who consistently hits towards the bottom of the club face, I have seen increased height on my shots. When I did my fitting with Duffy, I started with the steel shafts. Was seeing a nice ball flight. He then swapped the steel out for the graphite and I hit a towering flight the likes of which I had never hit before. Couldn't believe it. He said "What do you think?" I was so stunned I could only simply say "Can I hit another?" After the next shot, with similar results, I turned to him and said "Freaking amazing." Now maybe I caught those flush, but I do tend to hit lower on the club face, and the trend has been to a higher ball flight. The C200 + Aldila Rogue graphite shafts are a match made in heaven. Very excited that W/S is the first to come to market with these shafts.

I need to read more of this thread, but from what I have read (nice reviews by the way from what I have read), these sound like pretty good clubs and if I hadn't bought new irons this year I could well have been hunting them out to try

I think the looks are fine, and even topline doesn't put me off with the 'holes', so if I get the chance to hit these I would love to see how they compare to my Z545's

I continue to see an elevated ball flight with these irons, regardless of whether I hit them low on the face or not. Pure struck shots achieve a nice ball flight and if landing on the green, see minimal roll out. Lately I've been playing the W/S 50 Elite which is their bargain ball, and I've actually spun this ball back a bit (6-12") with my 9i. In my last round, I hit 7 GIR and all with between my 7i and GW. I usually just point for the center of the green and let it rip, and none of them hit and rolled so far away as to leave me a really poor two putt position.

This is music to my ears. Thank you!

These are some very nice looking irons. Love the fact that they're not too NASCARish. Cool little W/S badge on the back. Not too over the top.

These are some very nice looking irons. Love the fact that they're not too NASCARish. Cool little W/S badge on the back. Not too over the top.

They are when I swing 'em! :alien:

I'm really looking forward to getting some swings with these someday. It sounds like everyone that had hit these really are liking the results.

Last edited:
Wilson has been creeping up my ponder list the last year. These look sweet.

I'm really looking forward to getting some swings with these someday. It sounds like everyone that had hit these really are looking the results.
I agree completely. I occasionally think back to that darn rack at my home course with the C200 label but no irons. I want to hit these.

I think these things look awesome, I've been following the whole #staffproto trip with super jealousy. I love the reduced offset and thinner topline (than most GI irons) in a "crossover" club aimed more to high side of the mid-cap than to the low side. Would love to see what a set looks like in lefty, if I'm lucky enough to win!

Popped by my local Golfsmith to see when these would be ready to demo. A fitter looked them up and saw no info on them coming into my local store.

He shot an email off to see what he could find out, at the very least he's going to try and get 2 irons (steel and graphite) to have on hand even if they end up not carrying them at that particular location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popped by my local Golfsmith to see when these would be ready to demo. A fitter looked them up and saw no info on them coming into my local store.

He shot an email off to see what he could find out, at the very least he's going to try and get 2 irons (steel and graphite) to have on hand even if they end up not carrying them at that particular location.

Well they're tweeting about it so hopefully they get them there. Tim Clarke mentioned Golfsmith/Golftown and they difficulties they've had with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know someone was asking about hitting bottom grooves on the club and let me tell you since I occasionally do this from time to time and when you know you have bottomed grooved it when you swing, it amazes me the control you have still in trajectory and distance. Now bottom grooving it is not my thing but at least I know if I do it by chance, I'm not going to be penalized after I hit the ball

The C200 sounds like it is just what the Golf Doctor ordered. Would be so sweet!

Got to say, the more I play with these irons, the more I fall in love with them. I guess it certainly helps that the last time I went out with them I shot a PB :silly:

I continue to see an elevated ball flight with these irons, regardless of whether I hit them low on the face or not. Pure struck shots achieve a nice ball flight and if landing on the green, see minimal roll out. Lately I've been playing the W/S 50 Elite which is their bargain ball, and I've actually spun this ball back a bit (6-12") with my 9i. In my last round, I hit 7 GIR and all with between my 7i and GW. I usually just point for the center of the green and let it rip, and none of them hit and rolled so far away as to leave me a really poor two putt position.

Someone's handicap is going to steadily drop this year. :D

Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

I think at least 9 handicaps are going to drop this year. #staffproto.

I think at least 9 handicaps are going to drop this year. #sraffproto.

Hey I want to lower mine can I join you guys?

That sucks to hear, Golfsmith is the only thing semi close. (28 miles) I really want to try these out, so far I am sold.

Would love to give these irons a try; I've never hit graphite shafted irons before. Definitely a look all their own. Great reviews by the original testers as well!

Good call, RC, and properly corrected. Wouldn't that be a cool marketing campaign...

"After 6 months of gaming the C200s, these 9 guys lowered their handicaps a total of 50 strokes as a group." Boom, sales go up!

After my last round, I'm due to go from a 25.1 to 24.4. At this rate I should be under 20 before #THPRegionalRivalry.

Sweet!
After my last round, I'm due to go from a 25.1 to 24.4. At this rate I should be under 20 before #THPRegionalRivalry.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I remember my first set of irons, 1961 Wilson Staff, Fluid Feel, Dynapower - 2 thru 9. Although these don't have the "old" classic look of the W/S irons of the 60's, the appearance is pleasing, and I'm sure they perform!

Deuce, your handicap number is where I live. So glad to see someone like me used and likes these irons. What did you game before C200?

I'm down a full digit so far. And yeah it was the clubs.

Back