Mental Game is killing me

My problem is that I played other sports and excelled at them. This golf thing keeps getting worse. I know I can hit the shots but I have performance failure. I’m not talking about drawing a 6 iron into a tight pin shots, just normal fairways and middle of the green shots. I really enjoy the guys I play with and the scenery but I always seem to screw up the basic shots. It’s just really frustrating. For example, the first hole at my club is a 385 yard par 4 with a creek about 100 yards in front of the tee that continues down the left side of the hole for approx. 200 yards. Approximately 75% of the time I hit my opening tee shot into that creek. It’s unbelievable. I’ve taken many lessons and seem to be regressing.

Golf isn't other sports. You have to learn a whole new set of skills, both mentally and physically.

If you hit 6-iron off that first tee, do you think you'd be in the creek 75% of the time?

My problem is that I played other sports and excelled at them. This golf thing keeps getting worse. I know I can hit the shots but I have performance failure.

I know this feeling well. Played baseball for 9 years and competed at a pretty high level (NOT pro, but no fear in any opponent) in bowling for over 15. It's been hard to shut the brain down when I know that my brain can command my muscles to do what ever is necessary to excel at golf.

This is one of the major reason I DON'T keep score when I go out. I just play the game, play being the operative word. And on days when I'm only on the range, I will play virtual holes. I'll tell myself something along the lines of "this is a long par 4", attack it. Out comes the driver, then iron, then wedge. I've found that for myself, transitioning from range to course where my brain craps itself. When I have to change clubs from shot to shot and make it count, bad habits and thoughts creep in.

I golf so that I can make fun of my own game and call myself a dummy about 50 times a round. Between that and seeing how many trees I can hit in a round (current PB is 15), it's fun enough.

Throw in the chance that I can invent new swear words and occasionally having my 13 year old turn in a better score than me and there is NOTHING I'd rather do. :)

I have no kids, and my regular group is made up of college buddies or family, so they are all free game. Unless, of course, one of them is really having a meltdown, then I will stay silent or try to be encouraging. Most of the time, I just while away the round telling them incorrect swing advice or making fun of they physique. And before anyone flames, I get it in return. In spades. Lol.

My problem is that I played other sports and excelled at them.

Fortunately, "mediocre" has always been my benchmark for sports, so I've never had to contend with this dilemma.

I can't remember what song it is, but I once heard Andy Johnson (from the Fried Egg Podcast) say that he sings a song to himself as a part of his process, which to me makes some sense.. He's taking any real focus on what could happen and allowing his subconcious to handle the rest by focusing some on the lyrics of the song.

I've never tried it because I can't seem to track down the right lyrics that flow for me, but it is an interesting thought.

Do you struggle with stuff like that outside of golf? get all in your head, focus in negative outcomes, etc?

Look up and practice mindfulness.. and sometimes a little counseling can help (if you experience that outside of golf)..

And If you do lessons, see if they do on course lessons as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes I’m more a negative outcome type of person in all walks of life. It’s tough to not be for me. You mentioned mindfulness for both golf and life. Any suggestions of good places to start such as a website, book, etc.? Also I am taking an on course lesson on Tuesdaywith our head pro. He is as frustrated as I am with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes I’m more a negative outcome type of person in all walks of life. It’s tough to not be for me. You mentioned mindfulness for both golf and life. Any suggestions of good places to start such as a website, book, etc.? Also I am taking an on course lesson on Tuesdaywith our head pro. He is as frustrated as I am with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
"The inner game of golf" by Tim gallwey is still one of my fav books ever

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

He's a super beginner guide for some at home techniques: https://www.pocketmindfulness.com/6-mindfulness-exercises-you-can-try-today/

When I get home I'll look at what hold it audio I have or have used

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

greekelite were you able to find anything else? Thank you so much for your help on this.

I’ve posted on here before about my lack of a mental game. At the risk of being called out for doing it before, I thought I’d try again. I’ve tried reading the suggested books and it doesn’t seem to be helping. I’m a mental midget on the course. I go to the range and hit it great and can very rarely bring it to the course. My concentration level is very low and I seem to always press. I just can’t seem to relax and yet focus. I know I can hit the shots but rarely seem to pull them off. They say to focus on good shots but in the back of my mind I’m always expecting the disaster. And most of the time I’m right. Anyone else had this problem and if so do you have any suggestions on what to do? I’m at my wit’s end. I know it’s a process but I’m looking to do something over the winter to help. Thank you!!!!!!! And I’m sorry if I am offending anyone by asking for this again.

There is a good book called "The Inner Game of Golf" that helped me to focus. When I can't re-create ball striking on the course I do this: I choose a green on the range 100 yards or less, and hit wedge shots until I can hit 10 in a row within 10 feet from the pin. It may take an hour, but after this exercise I find that my tempo becomes very repeatable and gives me a boost in confidence. This makes a huge difference for me. I have learned that I can hit a ball just as solidly with eyes closed as with eyes open. This eliminates my performance phobia's. Good luck.

Back