PING G Fairway Woods Preview

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The following is a press release:

PHOENIX (January 11, 2016) – Developing knowledge and drawing inspiration from sources as diverse as dragonfly wings and 18-wheelers, PING today launched its new G series of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, again advancing speed, distance and forgiveness to unprecedented levels without sacrificing other performance attributes. This year PING went one step further, creating a new club category with the G Crossover, combining the best of hybrid and iron technology.

The new products, which are all custom fit and built to precise specifications, can be pre-ordered beginning today at PING-authorized golf shops around the world.

“It’s a credit to the imagination and the disciplined approach of our engineering, design and research teams that we’ve elevated performance across every category in new and exciting ways, innovation that will make the game easier for golfers of every ability level,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Our design process is different, as we gather information from the world around us, study new materials, and test rigorously to make sure our products give golfers meaningful results. The process leads to breakthroughs like Dragonfly Technology and Vortec Technology, found in the G drivers. We’ve also created a specialized heat-treatment process and COR-Eye Technology to make the G irons longer, higher-launching and more forgiving, a combination that’s very difficult to achieve. And with the new Crossover product line, an entirely new category, there’s a lot to be excited about.”

G Fairway Woods (Standard, SF Tec, Stretch)
Nearly all golfers struggle getting the ball in the air easily with fairway woods. To solve that, the G fairway woods have a lower lead edge that yields 12% higher face impact, relative to the G30 series. “The face sits lower so it’s much easier to hit the ball high in the air,” Solheim said. “Contact occurs higher on the face, which makes this club perform beautifully off the ground and tee.” High-strength Carpenter 455[SUP]®[/SUP] steel allows for a thinner, precision-machined, variable-thickness face. The cascading sole design engages more of the structure in face flexing, resulting in faster ball speeds and higher launch. Our thinnest crown ever in a fairway wood means discretionary weight has been used to move the CG lower and farther back, making it easier to get the ball airborne. A unique process adds friction to the face for reduced spin. Crown turbulators provide a captured appearance and help with aim and alignment. Golfers can optimize launch conditions prior to a round by adjusting loft up to [SUP]+[/SUP]/[SUB]-[/SUB] 1º with five settings utilizing a lightweight, aerodynamically efficient and high-strength 7075 aluminum hosel sleeve.

The G SF Tec fairway woods have weight closer to the heel, a lighter swing weight, and higher lofts to produce right-to-left shot bend for players whose typical miss is to the right.

The G Stretch 3 is custom-engineered to stretch a player’s distance off the tee and on shots into the green with its larger head, slightly forward CG, 13º loft, and reduced spin.

- Lofts 3W (14.5°), 5W (17.5°) & 7W (20.5°) in standard head, 3W (16°) & 5W (19°) in SF Tec head and 3W (13°) in Stretch 3. Lofts adjustable [SUP]+[/SUP]/[SUB]-[/SUB] 0.6° or 1°.
- Stock graphite shaft: PING Alta 65 (SR, R, S, X); Optional PING shafts ($30 upcharge): Tour 65 & Tour 80 (R, S, X)
- U.S. MSRP $287.50

G_Fairway_AdImage_Sole-XL.png

Of these, I could see going GStretch3 and G 5W in the bag. That seems like it would be a pretty fun combo. The G series fairways have always been so easy to hit, I don't know why I've never had one in the bag.

I like what I'm reading about a lower leading edge here as that should really increases the level of versatility if it works. Also, it's interesting that they've added friction to the face a la Bridgestone in an effort to lower spin.

Great to see Ping tackle something i've always struggled with, getting the ball off the ground with a fairway wood. Interesting to see how the lower face produces results in the full review.

This is the 1st Ping FW Wood in awhile that when reading about it, and learning about the tech, gives me genuine interest. Im excited to put a few swings on it soon.

That 13* option sounds like a blast if it is also easy to hit off deck.

The lower leading edge intrigues me. I know that's something Callaway did with the XR, and it made a huge difference over the X2Hot. I thought the G30 fairway was pretty easy to hit off the deck, and that makes me really interested in trying this one.

The lower leading edge intrigues me. I know that's something Callaway did with the XR, and it made a huge difference over the X2Hot. I thought the G30 fairway was pretty easy to hit off the deck, and that makes me really interested in trying this one.

This was my exact reference point. I found the XR significantly easier to hit off the deck than the X2Hot, and this sounds like they are doing something similar.

The stretch 3 is intriguing. Really like the fact they focused on hitting off the deck too, could make for a BOMBER.

I've always liked the Ping fairways, starting with the G20. Will have to give this a go as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can't wait to try out the SF Tec version fairways. Finally an update to the K15 !!!

I like that they made them weaker lofted (16* and 19*) like the K15 which helps us slower swingers.
Also I like that they made their head's a little larger than the standard G fairways.
3w is 175cc and the 5w 167cc. That was my beef with the G30 fairways. Their heads seemed pretty small when coming from the K15's which are in the 190's.

I had some success with the g30 off the tee and off the deck. The stretch has my interest and the SF tech is interesting because I have a tendency to push/fade the woods off the deck

I thought the g30 line of FW's was really good. Some interesting tech in this one that has me excited to give it a shot.

Looking forward to hitting this one. I am in the market for a 3w and this one intrigues me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I thought the g30 line of FW's was really good. Some interesting tech in this one that has me excited to give it a shot.

By far and away my favorite fairway release from PING ever, and easily top three in everything I tested this year in terms of all around performance. Excited to see the evolution of that design.

I am pondering the 915F to replace my 910F now I want to give the PING a serious look as well...thanks for the heads up Jman.

The Stretch 3 looks interesting for sure. If PING made these easier to hit off the deck, they could be a big hit. These are definitely on my must hit list for 2016.

PING G Fairway Woods Preview

Had a chance to hit the SF Tecs this week. The 19* was rediculous like easy to launch. I'm talking Heavenwood easy territory.
The 16* I struggled with the 43" length so I chucked in the shorter (42.5") 5w shaft and that helped my contact.

Here's a pick of the SF Tec 3w next to the normal G 3w. As you can see the SF Tec has a larger footprint and a shorter face height.

Can't wait to test against my trusty K15 5w this summer.

875a69a031d40492a8250f8935158697.jpg

I would have liked to have seen a SF Tec 7 Wood offering ... but the new line overall looks fantastic!

Mike
MPM1960

Yeah, the SFT 16* with a head not much bigger than the current models sounds pretty sweet. Same with the 19* to replace a 20* hybrid for lots of folks.
Can see these flying off the shelves.

Maybe not so much in Canada though with the Can $ today taking $1.48 to buy a US $ and the strict Ping pricing policies for retailers. That affects all brands with our market share of course.
The G fairways are listed at $370; so with tax in my province that would be $414 for one. A lot of coin.

Last edited:
Cool stuff coming here as I'll be getting the standard 3w in for review and Canadan will be getting his hands on the really unique Stretch club. Should be quite fun!

As solid as the G30 line was, it will be interesting to hear how they improved on it (hopefully).

I'm a bit confused by Pings explanation of the Stretch 3. In the explanation, it says that it has a slightly forward CG. Later in the explanation, it says the light crown allows for a low back CG ensuring high launch and low spin and forgiveness.

Not that it's a huge deal and I likely know the real answer (low/back but not all the way back), but I hope Dan or Jman and shed some definitive light on it.

I'm a bit confused by Pings explanation of the Stretch 3. In the explanation, it says that it has a slightly forward CG. Later in the explanation, it says the light crown allows for a low back CG ensuring high launch and low spin and forgiveness.

Not that it's a huge deal and I likely know the real answer (low/back but not all the way back), but I hope Dan or Jman and shed some definitive light on it.

Its just the wording, its sloppy on their end.

Basically, the crown in all of the fairways being thinner is allowing them to lower the CG and aid in launch/playability. But with the stretch, PING has pushed it further forward for lower spin and increased distance.

That's how I would have written it, or thereabouts, at least.

Its just the wording, its sloppy on their end.

Basically, the crown in all of the fairways being thinner is allowing them to lower the CG and aid in launch/playability. But with the stretch, PING has pushed it further forward for lower spin and increased distance.

That's how I would have written it, or thereabouts, at least.
That's what I thought. The last part was copied and pasted from the fairway woods but the stretch is different. Good stuff.

Back