RTJ Oxmoor Valley or Silver Lake?

pjleduc

Reaction score
Handicap
I am going to be in Alabama for school the second weekend in November and because of the pricing on flights I will have an extra day and thought it might be nice to play at one of the RTJ Trail courses. I will be in Gadsden, but will be flying back out of Birmingham so I am considering playing either Silver Lake (Gadsden) or Oxmoor Valley (Bham). Has anyone played either of those? Which one of the 2 is better/more memorable? I only have 1 day (sunday), but I might try and play 27-36 holes since who knows when I will get the opportunity again.

only been on oxmoor. i think it's fine, but if you're in birmingham and looking to do rtj i would think ross bridge would be the best experience. if you're ok to drive an hour to an hour and a half out of your way, farmlinks in sylacauga is a ton of fun and always in fantastic shape.

We went on our golf trip tp Birmingham this year. We played both courses at Oxmoor Valley, Ross Bridge, and a course called Timberline just south of Birmingham. I actually enjoyed Timberline the most besides Ross Bridge. All 4 courses were excellent though so you can't go wrong either way. If you want an unbelievable top notch experience at any price go to Ross Bridge though. If you're looking to knock out 36 go to Oxmoor Valley. If you want to play 18 for $60-$80 then I would rank my choice as Timberline, Valley Course at Oxmoor, Ridge Course at Oxmoor in that order.

only been on oxmoor. i think it's fine, but if you're in birmingham and looking to do rtj i would think ross bridge would be the best experience. if you're ok to drive an hour to an hour and a half out of your way, farmlinks in sylacauga is a ton of fun and always in fantastic shape.

I was planning on spending the night up by Gadsden then coming down to Birmingham, so its only an extra half hour to just go straight to Farmlinks. What did you like about it compared to Oxmoor?

We went on our golf trip tp Birmingham this year. We played both courses at Oxmoor Valley, Ross Bridge, and a course called Timberline just south of Birmingham. I actually enjoyed Timberline the most besides Ross Bridge. All 4 courses were excellent though so you can't go wrong either way. If you want an unbelievable top notch experience at any price go to Ross Bridge though. If you're looking to knock out 36 go to Oxmoor Valley. If you want to play 18 for $60-$80 then I would rank my choice as Timberline, Valley Course at Oxmoor, Ridge Course at Oxmoor in that order.

I just looked at Ross Bridge, it does look beautiful. I think what scared me initially was that it cost $120, compared to $65 at Oxmoor.

I was planning on spending the night up by Gadsden then coming down to Birmingham, so its only an extra half hour to just go straight to Farmlinks. What did you like about it compared to Oxmoor?

I just looked at Ross Bridge, it does look beautiful. I think what scared me initially was that it cost $120, compared to $65 at Oxmoor.

Oxmoor requires some shotmaking and even on good shots the undulating terrain can put you onto an uneven lie. Ridge course especially where I think the only relatively flat lies are where the yardage stakes are placed in the fairways. Silver Lakes isn't a bad facility either, the three nines are different enough to where you don't think you're doing a replay.

It's unbelievable though. The course is pristine and a very cool layout. The putting green has got to be one of the top putting greens in the United States. Once you get on that you'll know you're getting your money worth. Check golfnow too, all those courses show up there on weekday afternoons. We got on for $80.

It's unbelievable though. The course is pristine and a very cool layout. The putting green has got to be one of the top putting greens in the United States. Once you get on that you'll know you're getting your money worth. Check golfnow too, all those courses show up there on weekday afternoons. We got on for $80.

which course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Birmingham and play a lot at Oxmoor Valley (Usually the Valley course and the Short course). I have never played Silver Lakes. You really can't go wrong though. It depends on what you're looking for. A popular consensus is that Farm Links is the best course in the area. A close second would be Ross Bridge; it is gorgeous. It also has the distinction as being the longest course in the US - over 8000 from the tips. It's pricey though.

I live in Birmingham and play a lot at Oxmoor Valley (Usually the Valley course and the Short course). I have never played Silver Lakes. You really can't go wrong though. It depends on what you're looking for. A popular consensus is that Farm Links is the best course in the area. A close second would be Ross Bridge; it is gorgeous. It also has the distinction as being the longest course in the US - over 8000 from the tips. It's pricey though.

Well I probably wouldn't play from the tips at Ross Bridge. I just watch a couple of the VLOGs that Mark Crossfield did on Ross Bridge. Looks amazing. They have a play and stay package at the Renaissance, that could be an option.

Edit- He also did a video series at Oxmoor, I will have to watch those too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well I probably wouldn't play from the tips at Ross Bridge. I just watch a couple of the VLOGs that Mark Crossfield did on Ross Bridge. Looks amazing. They have a play and stay package at the Renaissance, that could be an option.

Edit- He also did a video series at Oxmoor, I will have to watch those too.

I definitely don't play from the tips, but it's a great course regardless. Out of all of them I play Oxmoor Valley the most. I'll have to check out Mark's vids.

which course?

Ross Bridge

Also the Ridge Course at Oxmoor Valley is the most distinctive course there, but it is very difficult. I would put it as the most difficult of the 4 that I mentioned. The Valley was more fun to play so I like it better.

Doing the stay and play package at Ross Bridge this weekend. The course is beautiful. The fairways are nice but the greens are really rough. I was paired with a couple of guys who spoke little English. For the price, I expected much better greens. Word of caution, on some holes, the cart parking areas are not close to the green.

The little bit of Oxmoor I saw driving in was beautiful. I’ll play those 2 the next time we take a weekend to B’ham.

It’s been at least 10 years since I played Silver Lakes, but the chief complaint I’ve heard is it’s very hard. You have to hit a lot of precise shots and if you fail to do so, you’ll be faced with a high degree of difficulty short game shot. As I recall it is beautiful though.

Doing the stay and play package at Ross Bridge this weekend. The course is beautiful. The fairways are nice but the greens are really rough. I was paired with a couple of guys who spoke little English. For the price, I expected much better greens. Word of caution, on some holes, the cart parking areas are not close to the green.

The little bit of Oxmoor I saw driving in was beautiful. I’ll play those 2 the next time we take a weekend to B’ham.

They must have recently aerated or something. They were pristine in April. Best greens I've ever seen.

Played Oxmoor Valley last October and it was beautiful. Lots of elevation changes, fast greens. Did not play Rosd Bridge but have heard it is a good course. All the RTJ courses are excellent.

They must have recently aerated or something. They were pristine in April. Best greens I've ever seen.

No signs of recent aerification. I know bent greens can get torn up and I know good maintenance can mitigate the damage from heavy course traffic. The greens had crab grass, bare spots and uneven mowing. Most looked like they had unrepaired hail damage, some of which looked days old. There were numerous old cups that weren’t the same level as the surrounding green.

And you got to be a bad mofo to play Ross Bridge from the tips.

Attachments

• 48904A0E-2DE3-4D50-9B6B-0DC2695A88BF.png
    48904A0E-2DE3-4D50-9B6B-0DC2695A88BF.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 1
Yeah, I am definitely not that

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I will have some decent weather next weekend.

What did you decide?

What did you decide?
I am going to try and get a Tee time at Ross Bridge. I have no idea when I will get another opportunity to play RTJ so I might as well go big.

If anyone in the area is interested in meeting up and playing, I am available pretty much anytime on Sunday.

I am going to try and get a Tee time at Ross Bridge. I have no idea when I will get another opportunity to play RTJ so I might as well go big.

If anyone in the area is interested in meeting up and playing, I am available pretty much anytime on Sunday.

I've never played Ross Bridge, but I've been on the course. It was gorgeous. I may take you up on the offer if I can afford it (and you don't mind playing with a hack). BTW, there are some specials going on so ask about them.

Winter Magic Special Special includes one round of golf at Oxmoor Valley, one round of golf at Ross Bridge, cart fees and range balls.
Valid November 7, 2018 – March 19, 2019. for $167 per person.

Winter Unlimited Special Play unlimited golf with cart and unlimited range balls.
$82 per person all day ($154 per person all day at Ross Bridge) November 7, 2018 – March 19, 2019.

I've never played Ross Bridge, but I've been on the course. It was gorgeous. I may take you up on the offer if I can afford it (and you don't mind playing with a hack). BTW, there are some specials going on so ask about them.

Winter Magic Special Special includes one round of golf at Oxmoor Valley, one round of golf at Ross Bridge, cart fees and range balls.
Valid November 7, 2018 – March 19, 2019. for $167 per person.

Winter Unlimited Special Play unlimited golf with cart and unlimited range balls.
$82 per person all day ($154 per person all day at Ross Bridge) November 7, 2018 – March 19, 2019.

Those specials sound pretty good too. I am open to Oxmoor Valley if that is better price wise. That $82 unlimited play special seems to be a good value.

I am pretty hackish as well (I am allegedly a 24 handicap).

Yeah, I'm generally a 90's shooter, but I played Oxmoor Valley (Valley course) last week for the first time in a year and shot 110 or something. My tee game is in shambles right now and those greens are complex and fast so you have to get your approach shot close. I had 40 putts and I generally putt in the low 30s.

Yeah, I'm generally a 90's shooter, but I played Oxmoor Valley (Valley course) last week for the first time in a year and shot 110 or something. My tee game is in shambles right now and those greens are complex and fast so you have to get your approach shot close. I had 40 putts and I generally putt in the low 30s.
This year I started shooting in the 90 semi regularly. But the last 2 times I went out I shot 108 and 111. So I feel the pain. I just like to have a good time and play golf. So no worries.

Back