How many clubs are you proficient in?

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I know we are allowed to bag 14 clubs, but I was wondering how many of those 14 clubs are you actually proficient in using? I use to bag 14 but now only bag 10 and sometimes 11 clubs simply because certain clubs have a tendency to mess with my game when I use them. I also have learned to use the 10 clubs I have in my bag for a variety of different shots.
So do you bag less than 14 and why?

I bag 14 but would only call myself truly proficient with 5 of them (50, 54 and 58 wedges and 3 and 5 woods). Inconsistent with the other 9. It took me many, many years, but I finally figured out that the 3 wood, gripped in various positions was often the best club for me to get out of tree trouble. Have learned to hit is anywhere from 120 to 220 yards off the deck. It is the only club in the bag that I can intentionally work left to right.

I like to carry a full bag and try to challenge most if not all of them in a round, it's fun to me, but I'll pull the least proficient clubs only in certain situations to not hurt my round much, and where the misses can be recovered well.

Last edited:
I used to carry 14 and tried to play each club at least once during a round. Combination of walking more and favoring certain clubs has lead me to pull 3 wood, 5 wood and a wedge (went from 48-52-56-60 to 48-54-60). Now that I think about it, don't really use my 6 iron so that might come out as well.

Carry 14 / "Proficient" 0 :laugh:

1. Putter.

I carry 14. Why? I guess it makes me feel like a real golfer.

Of my 11 clubs, my driver is proficient for me 90% of the time
3H - about 70% of the time
4H - about 75% of the time
5-8 irons - about 55% of the time
9 - PW - about 80% of the time
SW - try not to use it at all.
Putter - about 70% of the time

Looks like my strength is my driver, and my biggest weakness is my mid irons

Really good with:

6iron-PW 54* and 2 Hybrid

Medium with:

4 iron, 5 iron, 3 wood

Not so good with:

Driver 58*

I like to carry a full bag and try to challenge most if not all of them in a round, it's fun to me, but I'll pull the least proficient clubs only in certain situations to not hurt my round much and my misses can be recovered well.

That is one of my Dad's big things, to play every club in your bag at least once in the round...

6i, 8i, and 50* I grab with full confidence. Everything else in the bag is like Russian roulette lol

I carry a full bag like most, but I'm only proficient with about 5 clubs - LW, SW, GW, PW, 9i. With those clubs I hit flagsticks. Every other club right now is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I'm not afraid to hit any of the 14 clubs in my bag, I'd say I'm proficient in all of them to some degree. Last weekend we had a $#!+ ton of irons to test for the first time on the course. Ill fitted, and still pulled the trigger with confidence. Maybe that's the little bit of ignorance blended with cockiness in me, but I feel like I can execute a lot of shots with a lot of clubs (but I know my limitations).

i'm with @tpluff. i don't fear any of my clubs, if that's the definition of "proficient." can i hit all of them on the button every time and have them go the direction and distance i want? not a chance, so if that's the definition of proficient then my answer is 0.

I'm not afraid to hit any of the 14 clubs in my bag, I'd say I'm proficient in all of them to some degree. Last weekend we had a $#!+ ton of irons to test for the first time on the course. Ill fitted, and still pulled the trigger with confidence. Maybe that's the little bit of ignorance blended with cockiness in me, but I feel like I can execute a lot of shots with a lot of clubs (but I know my limitations).

This is pretty much the same for me. Every round is going to be different and I'll be better with different clubs but overall I can hit each club pretty decent.

I have 12 clubs right now and don't feel proficient with any lol. I struggle with the longer clubs but i am working hard to make those smooth.

I carry 14 and I proficient in about 12 of the clubs. The hybrid and 3 wood are hit or miss. Pun intended.

I know we are allowed to bag 14 clubs, but I was wondering how many of those 14 clubs are you actually proficient in using? I use to bag 14 but now only bag 10 and sometimes 11 clubs simply because certain clubs have a tendency to mess with my game when I use them. I also have learned to use the 10 clubs I have in my bag for a variety of different shots.
So do you bag less than 14 and why?

Proficient? 0. I can say that without a doubt.

Right now, I'm carrying 13. I pulled the 5w because I was not only not proficient, the club was frustrating me every time I hit it. Most of the time it was balloon on me if I hit if fairly straight. The rest of the time I got a huge hook out of it. I'm not even sure I need it anyway. My 3wd is good for 230-240 off the tee and the TM SLDR 3h that I've lofted down to "2h" range is good for 210-220 off the tee... and sometimes more. I'll likely run a 4 wedge bag again once I transition over to GI irons.

60% of the time all of my clubs work every time.

Unfortunately, they never all fall into that 60% in the same round...?

Putter and probably by a good amount.

Definitely not all of them... I'm not great with a 3W or any iron longer than a 6, so I don't bother carrying them in rounds. Those shots rarely come up for me anyway, otherwise I'd definitely be practicing them.

Carry 14. Proficient in all but driver. That thing is streaky as all get out. Some days superb. Some days a mess.

Proficent means adequate when applied to me and my game.

Driver
PW, 46, 52
Putter

So half my bag

There is literally no reason for me to carry my 3 and 5, except when I pull them out and remind myself on course that I shouldn't have.

Back