Hitting knuckleballs

Reef Donkey

Reaction score
Handicap
Micheladas
So I went to a local course Rockwood (Ft. Worth) yesterday and played a round. Ended up carding an 89. What absolutely crushed me was that I was bound and determined to figure out my new set of woods that I got from discount golf. I don't know much about all these new designs (changing lofts and screwing with little weights), so I just screwed in the weight that came with it. It's rather close to the face of the club.

F5_DRIVER_MNS_MANUAL_SKIRT.jpg

I'm thinking that's the reason for it literally falling out of the sky. Hell, I don't know, but I forced myself to play this club on 350+ yard holes. Told myself I wasn't gonna worry about the score, and to just get used to it. On the shorter par 4's I used their 3 wood (no screw in weight), and hit it dead nuts all day. FANTASTIC 3-wood.

Could it be that little weight that's messing it up?

Sounds like you don’t get enough spin with that driver.

Not specifically the actual weight, but the design having weight low and forward could be too low spinning for you/your swing.

Have you adjusted the loft? If you were playing it in its neutral loft setting, going to the highest setting might add enough spin to make it work for you.

If I remember correctly, the FG Tour was designed as a low spinning head for better players. Heavy weights toward the face equals low spin from my experience (sub zero drivers). I'm guessing it's not the right head for you due to club head speed, attack angle, etc.

Not specifically the actual weight, but the design having weight low and forward could be too low spinning for you/your swing.

Have you adjusted the loft? If you were playing it in its neutral loft setting, going to the highest setting might add enough spin to make it work for you.

I adjusted it to the 9* setting (that was my old driver's setting. Maybe I should adjust it up to the 10.5* setting and hit it some more?

If I remember correctly, the FG Tour was designed as a low spinning head for better players. Heavy weights toward the face equals low spin from my experience (sub zero drivers). I'm guessing it's not the right head for you due to club head speed, attack angle, etc.

My clubhead speed is right at about 96. 3 months ago it was in the upper 80's. I've been really working on getting back to where I was when I played frequently over a decade ago. Back then I was at 110+. Getting older and fatter, and sitting on my ass all day at work really slowed me down.

The F5 is a super low spinning driver for sure. Sounds like you need a shaft change to get some more spin but it’s hard to say without more information.

I adjusted it to the 9* setting (that was my old driver's setting. Maybe I should adjust it up to the 10.5* setting and hit it some more?

Loft up and try it again. That extra degree and a half will improve spin some. May not be enough but it's an inexpensive way of testing.

I would adjust it as high as it goes and start from there. The extra loft is why the 3 wood is working fine for you.

The next cheapest option would be a higher launching/spinning shaft or a lighter weight in the head. But a lighter weight is definite going to alter the swing weight. Whether or not that bothers you is another issue altogether. You could also try some different golf balls, but I’m not sure how much that will help.

I don’t think I’d spend money if I were you without getting on a monitor to see what’s happening.

I would adjust it as high as it goes and start from there. The extra loft is why the 3 wood is working fine for you.

The next cheapest option would be a higher launching/spinning shaft or a lighter weight in the head. But a lighter weight is definite going to alter the swing weight. Whether or not that bothers you is another issue altogether. You could also try some different golf balls, but I’m not sure how much that will help.

I don’t think I’d spend money if I were you without getting on a monitor to see what’s happening.

I bought this club brand new for $29. I don’t mind reshafting it at all. Definitely gonna get on a launch monitor. Took it out to the range after work today and hit some solid 235-245 carry shots. Started out with some more knuckle balls but hit the last 15 pretty solid.

Been told that at 100 mph hit a stiff shaft. Being mid 90’s and climbing I ordered it in stiff. Maybe I’ll go to PGASS and try out a regular shaft.

Back