If You Could Eliminate OB Would You?

I think if the ball is within the confines of the course, it should be in play. If it leaves the perimeter of the course it should be considered OB.

I would eliminate it also.

There are a few courses around here with hazards that are deemed "environmental areas" where you are not supposed to enter/play from and they're marked with red stakes with green tops. I don't see why similar stakes couldn't be used for residential areas.

I think the elimination of OB would have to come with a stipulation that even if the ball can be found, if it is inside those stakes, it must be dropped back on the course at the point of entry, rather than played. Mostly, I don't want players trying to take on doglegs, ending up in someone's backyard, and coming out better than someone who put it in the fairway.

I would totally change ob to a lateral hazard for a couple of reasons that everyone has mentioned above but also who wants to go back and re-tee when they go up and their ball is playable but a foot o.b.? Play it like a lateral, if you can find it, play it. Less frustration for a lot of golfers, speeds up rounds on the golf course, lowers peoples scores in most cases, and also simplifies another set of rules for people trying to learn/understand the game.

I think the elimination of OB would have to come with a stipulation that even if the ball can be found, if it is inside those stakes, it must be dropped back on the course at the point of entry, rather than played. Mostly, I don't want players trying to take on doglegs, ending up in someone's backyard, and coming out better than someone who put it in the fairway.

This is a very good point.

Yes, lateral hazard throughout.

yes, lateral throughout. i would also like to see the rule for lost balls modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OB should be played just like water. That makes golf go much faster.

For OB it would be unusual for a player to spend time "looking for the ball".
The standard is that if one suspects a ball might be OB, he plays a provisional (which has always been allowed by the Rules to actually help the speed of play).
Searching for a lost ball may take up to 5 minutes, but lost ball situations are usually not related to OB situations. Provisional for lost ball is allowed, but people rarely use that option.

Well, until you are sure it's OB, it's lost. Now, I agree, there are times when you launch one and KNOW it's OB, but there are many times when you think it's in play and can't find it and must assume it's OB (or lost... doesn't make much difference). I guess, even then, we're back to people needing to use provisionals liberally. Provisional balls would solve much of the pace of play issues.

Yes, absolutely. I think it would help a lot.

While I think OB should be preserved as-is, I wouldn't lose any sleep if it were to be changed to a non-playable penalty area.

However, I disagree it should be a 1-stroke penalty. The penalty for hitting the ball off-property should remain severe.

yes, lateral throughout. i would also like to see the rule for lost balls modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came to post this.

Yes because we often can’t really play OB properly on courses when there are groups behind us anyway.

A couple of the courses I have played have removed OB unless you hit it off the property. It does tend to speed up play, the way we play is if you hit off property you take a 2 shot penalty and drop the ball for a clear swing in the heavy rough close to where the ball went out.

Yes because we often can’t really play OB properly on courses when there are groups behind us anyway.

What's to stop you?

...who wants to go back and re-tee when they go up and their ball is playable but a foot o.b.?

Did you really need to ask that?

That being said, if the rule changed, then I'd be fine with it. Whatever is in black and white when I start the round is gospel. Provisional balls solve almost all the "problems" mentioned in this thread.

I think if the ball is within the confines of the course, it should be in play. If it leaves the perimeter of the course it should be considered OB.

I can count on one hand the number of OB areas I've see inside the borders of the courses I've played in my life. Is this really that common?

Did you really need to ask that?

That being said, if the rule changed, then I'd be fine with it. Whatever is in black and white when I start the round is gospel. Provisional balls solve almost all the "problems" mentioned in this thread.
it was rhetorical

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can count on one hand the number of OB areas I've see inside the borders of the courses I've played in my life. Is this really that common?
Very

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would change all OB to lateral hazards - would help the pace and scores and make the game more enjoyable

Personally I see no reason for eliminating OB, it is there to define the boundaries of the hole/course and if you are outside of that area then you should be penalised for it

If the ruling was changed to treat it like a lateral hazard, then it needs to be stipulated that even if the ball is playable you still have to take a penalty drop, otherwise there is no point in having OB

The simple solution is that if you think your ball could be OB (or lost) then play a provisional before you head to the area to look for it, no time is then wasted having to go back and play another shot

Man there are some courses out there that are tight House lined with ob on darn near every hole, folks hit it ob and then spend a ton of time either looking for it or going back to retee, it’s a long round when you’re hitting ob on several holes.

Sand piper bay is a great example in Myrtle, narrow course with a ton of ob, 5 hour rounds aren't uncommon. Although they’re not the norm there are plenty of courses like that out there

Yes, I would. Everything would be played as a lateral. Not only does it speed up play a bit, but the stroke and distance penalty is too penal.

This is exactly what I would like to see! Just play it like a red hazard. It's still out of bounds so you can't go into people's yards but play it like a red hazard!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

The problem is too many golfers don't respect private property and would go play it out of someone's backyard if we went to all lateral hazard.

Maybe it's just the large amount of water on the courses we have in Minnesota, but this year I've hit about 7 or 8 tee shots into a forced carry water hazard off the tee that was a stroke and distance penalty(unless I wanted to drop 10-15 yard forward and hit 3 wood out of the rough). I've only hit one ball O.B. this summer but have lost about a dozen balls in the woods that were a stroke and distance penalty. Stroke and distance are a big part of the game and eliminating O.B. wouldn't change that.

Back