Moneyball - Will it work in the NFL?

Why not try I guess. Like you said, can't really get any worse.

What exactly have they done "different"? Honest question because to me they seem to have been trying to mock certain franchises and just sucked at doing so

Textbook example was Farmer's philosophy that a bigtime receiver is not an important thing to have in the NFL. Lets sign a bunch of midgets off the street instead. Or how about disregarding the quarterback that our team of researchers and experts reccomended two years ago (Bridgewater), and we take that abortion who is Billy Vegas.

Textbook example was Farmer's philosophy that a bigtime receiver is not an important thing to have in the NFL. Lets sign a bunch of midgets off the street instead. Or how about disregarding the quarterback that our team of researchers and experts reccomended two years ago (Bridgewater), and we take that abortion who is Billy Vegas.

Ironically enough, two of the best teams in the NFL this year do not have a big time WR.
Patriots and Panthers.

But you guys have one, he just happens to be suspended.

As a longtime Mets fan, I would like to thank the Browns for taking DePodesta away from us.

I have never liked him or his methods. I'm for analytics to be used as supporting data, but he and his cohorts rely on it as a primary scouting tool.

Look for more workout warriors to be drafted by the Browns.

If the new regime can keep their players from sitting in the parking lot at my complex and getting high in their vehicles everyday I will be happy. There is not a hint of a winning culture or any accountability of any kind in Berea at the moment. You have Joe Haden faking concussions, and demanding a trade (we couldn't even get a 7th round pick for him btw), and bunch of pothead losers. There aren't too many good character respectable guys under contract right now.

Looks like more poop tossing on the wall to see if it sticks

No big time free agent is coming to this hell of a mess

Moneyball wont help in drafting, that is where this team has killed itself for 15 years

Then again Dwayne Bowe just got paid $1.8M per CATCH this year

You mean Ray Jennings and Vonte Mack didn't work out?

Ironically enough, two of the best teams in the NFL this year do not have a big time WR.
Patriots and Panthers.

See my post above, Josh Gordon is a useless bum.

I am curious how this is any different than the other teams using analytics (pretty much all of them)

It would absolutely work, on paper. Analytics is just another way to gather information and finding out who/what/why will fit into a system. However, you still need talent on the field. It's not like analytics will be a life altering, revolutionary way to play football. It is just looking at the game in a different way to find out a possibly better fit.

It's thinking outside the box for sure, but I just don't know if it can work the same in the NFL as it did in the MLB.

I can't see it really bringing much more to the table. It's about coaching and QBs in this league. Look at the patriots they constantly make tough decisions like moving on from supposed cornerstone players. But the constants have always been Brady and Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patriots and Panthers.

The Panthers and Pats might not have a big time WR but they do both have a TE who are better than most teams WR's

I absolutely think it can work. especially on offense. I would suggest it requires some organizational fortitude from the coaching staff to the front office to strive for key assets.

People have noted the Patriots as a example, and I think they are a pretty good one - what skills do they need to maximize their most important asset, Tom Brady? Brady does not have a cannon arm, nor is the offensive line all that good (although they are pretty good), so on offense, they need guys who can fun precise routes and get open in those tiny windows or physically overpower the cover guy. You can Moneyball those traits in WRs, TEs, and RBs.
On defense, I'm not so sure to be honest, maybe the best example were the Steelers and the Dick Lebeau scheme?

I guess the only way we'll find out is to really wait and see, but desperate thinking often brings desperate results. They need to do something though, I think the fans are losing hope which is a huge blow to Cleveland.

When the A's started using it they wanted guys who could play baseball and not just look like a baseball player. They had a system they wanted to utilize and it was about guys who could get on base and weren't going to cost the team outs or runs. The old school scouts and the front office clashed on techniques and the A's have had some good success using the analytics and not over paying players and getting rid if guys when they still have value to retool their team

in football there are a bunch if guys who go first round that don't have successful careers. I lie the approach to use these analytics to find the right player who will fit the scheme of a team. It will probably be a struggle with front office, coaches, scouts to implement it and make cause some growing pains for the fans while the team makes personnel changes. Contract wise not all money is guaranteed in contracts and the penalty to a team isn't a big as in baseball if the let a guy go.

I disagree with Billick, but if this process fails in Cleveland, which it most likely will, it doesn't mean that moneyball wouldn't work in the NFL. More information is almost never a bad thing. You need buy-in from the entire organization to make a transformation like this a success. It is a culture change for a team to do this.

I think the big thing with all professional sports is what is he trying to implement and what's his time frame for implementation?

You're basically bringing him in and a new GM and coach, will they be given the time to create a new culture and really go with it.

Too many win now mentalities without giving front office and coaches a time to create what they want, look at great franchises (yes there is a lot of luck with drafting, but also consistency and sticking with it.

I disagree with Billick, but if this process fails in Cleveland, which it most likely will, it doesn't mean that moneyball wouldn't work in the NFL. More information is almost never a bad thing. You need buy-in from the entire organization to make a transformation like this a success. It is a culture change for a team to do this.

I agree with Billick somewhat that the statistical differences between the games make the Moneyball approach different for sport, but it seems like it's something that could bear fruit over time. It's definitely not a quick fix, which is why it will probably fail in Cleveland. If a team committed to the approach understanding there would be some bumps in the road along the way it would probably be a totally different situation.

I think the big thing with all professional sports is what is he trying to implement and what's his time frame for implementation?

You're basically bringing him in and a new GM and coach, will they be given the time to create a new culture and really go with it.

Too many win now mentalities without giving front office and coaches a time to create what they want, look at great franchises (yes there is a lot of luck with drafting, but also consistency and sticking with it.

Nailed it. The 'win now' mentality and the expectations for these coaches/GMs to turn perennial losers into championship teams in a season makes for several impossible situations in the NFL.

Agree with Billick. Baseball is a pretty independent sport. It's batter versus pitcher and is not dependent on any other players performance. Now think about football and how ones performance in one play is dependent on every other player on the field. Perhaps there's a way to measure and obtain the analytics but I don't see how accurate that would be.

A fish rots from the head down. I doubt this will work.

Agree with Billick. Baseball is a pretty independent sport. It's batter versus pitcher and is not dependent on any other players performance. Now think about football and how ones performance in one play is dependent on every other player on the field. Perhaps there's a way to measure and obtain the analytics but I don't see how accurate that would be.

This.

Chemistry plays a big part in a football team's success. Getting guys with the best stats has a better chance of working in baseball where each player's success adds to the total. In football the skills must be more complementary

Moneyball - Will it work in the NFL?

Nothing brand new. Other teams have analytics departments. Tony Kahn, son of owner Shad, has run one for the Jags since they bought the team. Same stuff. I know they weren't the first.

Hasn't helped the Jags much, obviously.

Back