Shafts versus Heads, pick one.

For those of you saying "head", let me ask... if I were to pull apart your irons and stick the shafts into a random set of heads (let's assume they don't fit your eye) and then shaft up your favorite irons with some Apollo Shadow Jr graphite shafts, do you think you'd be able to hit your favorite heads on that shaft better than your current shafts in a random head?

I would have no problem. If you put my favorite shafts in some old ben hogan apex blades, I'm still not going to be able to hit them. Not put a 60 gram graphite shaft in something like the Bridgestone JGR HF1 or Big Bertha OS, I'll be able to hit them. Let me pick the head and say I am testing an iron look or set I am comfortable with, for argument sake lets say a middle of the road iron like an Apex CF16/p790/z565, I'll play whatever you want to throw in there.

I would have no problem. If you put my favorite shafts in some old ben hogan apex blades, I'm still not going to be able to hit them. Not put a 60 gram graphite shaft in something like the Bridgestone JGR HF1 or Big Bertha OS, I'll be able to hit them. Let me pick the head and say I am testing an iron look or set I am comfortable with, for argument sake lets say a middle of the road iron like an Apex CF16/p790/z565, I'll play whatever you want to throw in there.

I'd love to see you game an Apollo Shadow Jr graphite shafted iron! Those freakin' things are almost as whippy as my Whippy!

Well said! Fully agree.

I'd love to see you game an Apollo Shadow Jr graphite shafted iron! Those freakin' things are almost as whippy as my Whippy!

I've played a round with my wife's clubs because mine weren't where I thought they were. I reviewed and played XXIO9 irons, with graphite shafts that are basically senior flex weigh 50 grams with over 4 degrees of torgue. Shafts are great for fine tuning, but the head matters more. Furthermore just 2 weeks ago I played 3 straight days, 1 day my shafts were graphite stiff 75 grams, the next KBS Tour 120 gram, and finally graphite 59 grams. When it comes to irons, it really doesn't bother me.

The head. One, I'm coming to realize I need to have a decent amount of confidence in how the club looks. Two, I think turf interaction plays a huge part in how I feel about irons, which comes far more from the construction of the head in my opinion.

For those of you saying "head", let me ask... if I were to pull apart your irons and stick the shafts into a random set of heads (let's assume they don't fit your eye) and then shaft up your favorite irons with some Apollo Shadow Jr graphite shafts, do you think you'd be able to hit your favorite heads on that shaft better than your current shafts in a random head?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta be the head for me. I'd rather review a nice players iron head with a 50g graphite shaft than a hollow body shovel with my preferred shaft.

Gotta be the head for me. I'd rather review a nice players iron head with a 50g graphite shaft than a hollow body shovel with my preferred shaft.

Bingo dude. And let's say for arguments sake that your fav shaft is C-Taper X Flex tipped 1". You think that is going to help keep the ball down when you are playing super high launch, low spin, wide ass hollow body irons?

Bingo dude. And let's say for arguments sake that your fav shaft is C-Taper X Flex tipped 1". You think that is going to help keep the ball down when you are playing super high launch, low spin, wide ass hollow body irons?

I'm getting twitchy even thinking about trying to hit a target with something like that lol.

I'm getting twitchy even thinking about trying to hit a target with something like that lol.

I'll save these Bridgestones for the next time we are together. I'm sure you'd have some fun with those, staring down at that sole sticking out about an inch past the topline haha

I'll save these Bridgestones for the next time we are together. I'm sure you'd have some fun with those, staring down at that sole sticking out about an inch past the topline haha

Just stop. Please. LOL

Just stop. Please. LOL

i-pDBMZLd-L.jpg

As ugly as that is, I’m confident I would score better with that and an X100 than with a players cavity installed onto a noodle.

I'm going to say head. I feel like I can hit any shaft with a bit of adjustment, but a head I don't like the looks of can mess with me like nothing else.

about exactly what I think. Would much rather go with a head that fits me better with a shaft that isn't perfect than a perfect shaft with an improper fitting head.

As with most, the shaft is the most important to me!

Heads.... look good feel good, feel good play good

This is an interesting/great thread.

I used to be (last couple of years) more focused on shaft then head

However after spending this past weekend with Scott Cokeing the Director of Metals for True Temper and speaking to him and picking his brain about shafts and equipment

Also being able to test a variety of heads with an assortment of shafts has me reevaluating my position

It’s 90% head and 10% shaft - I was able to get some crazy DG120 TI DG Tour Issue X100 irons to work for me based on the heads and performance from them.

The battles came down to more head performance and if we had a cart or more time I could have dialed in/maximized performance with the specific heads I enjoyed with the optimal shaft

So much knowledge gained, i love it

Let me ask my wife

From a golf standpoint. From everything I learned last week, shaft is 70%. If you have the perfect clubhead the right shaft will create perfection while the wrong shaft could kill you. They are both important but shaft will have more impact.

I'm going with grip (I know, not an option). I can hit any club head combo and have fun but if the grip is crap or too small I can't hold the club.

It doesn't make sense to say if you pick the perfect head then you have to deal with a garbage shaft or vice versa. I would assume that in a test if you selected a shaft that you would like they would put you in say for example any of the JPX 919's to test. Or if you picked a specific head they would give you a typical shaft. In that case I would always pick the head. Offsets, topline, and general appearance matter more to me.

hmmm, it is really a tough question.

My gut says the shaft is the key to my success or failure but if I don't like the clubhead shape, sole, etc. I just don't enjoy playing them..and I certainly need some tech help for distance so I am going to go with the shaft as the gut is rarely wrong in the long run.

Shaft. Most heads, in the same category (blade, GI, SGI) that the shaft makes a big difference.

Based on experience playing across a variety this year, I'll go iron head.

I think shaft is more constant with irons than it is woods, where I think you really need to pair shaft/head, but at the end of the day the head has more of an effect on performance.

I think if I'm talking about putting a set in play, shaft plays a big part because it brings consistency. But in terms of reviewing and figuring out performance, the head is going to have more of an effect.

Head. Finding the right head and fine tune the shaft. If I don’t like the look of the head, I have little to no interest in playing the club.

Back