Shafts versus Heads, pick one.

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Imagine if you will you are asked to review a set of irons. The caveat is you can only provide a preference for the type of head or the specific shaft to test in it.

With that alone, which matters more to you in being able to hit good golf shots?

I’d have to go shaft. I have always felt the shaft is the engine of the club. I also feel it affects the performance of each club differently. The right shaft can bring the best out of a good club.

Shaft and it's not even a debate. There's far more you can do to make or break a club with the shaft than there is with the head.

This!
I’d have to go shaft. I have always felt the shaft is the engine of the club. I also feel it affects the performance of each club differently. The right shaft can bring the best out of a good club.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to go with shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine if you will you are asked to review a set of irons. The caveat is you can only provide a preference for the type of head or the specific shaft to test in it.

With that alone, which matters more to you in being able to hit good golf shots?

90% shaft, 10% head.

I’m just talking bout Shaft. Can you dig it!

Shaft all day every day! I want a certain feel when I’m swinging any club, if I can get the feel right then the ball striking will be on point no matter what head is on the end of the shaft.

It's the shaft for me.

In irons definitely shaft. The weight has to be a comfortable range for me. If it were driver I'd say head.

I'd have to say shaft. I think I could comfortably play any head as long as it was paired with the right shaft.

After going through a fitting it was interesting to me how much different having the right shaft is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’d say its like 60/40 shaft to head. I think a really well fit shaft can really help a head come to life.

The shaft, if you can't get comfortable with the shaft, chances are you won't be consistent with the head either.

shaft, only because the right shaft helps me deliver the club properly, and get the most out of the head.

I'm going to say head. I feel like I can hit any shaft with a bit of adjustment, but a head I don't like the looks of can mess with me like nothing else.

I will go with shaft as well.

For me it's shaft. Years ago it was how the head fit my eye, but then I found THP and learned a little about shafts. It's the shaft.

Shaft, but mainly because I struggle with 99% of iron shafts due to overly aggressive swings. I’ve been able to make a variety of heads work with the same shaft. I have had some really bad luck with the same head and several ill-fitted shafts.

Head and it's not close. If I don't like the look, nothing else matters.

Going with head. It has a bigger impact on launch, spin, draw/fade bias, and forgiveness. If this wasn’t the case why would we continuously discuss how high a new iron is launching or how low spin a driver head is. We would simply change the shaft wouldn’t we and there would be no need for OEMs to keep on investing heavily to find new tech for heads.

Head, I can play a variety of shafts and be ok as the weight is in a reasonable range, but I need the forgiveness from the club head.

Dave

For those of you saying "head", let me ask... if I were to pull apart your irons and stick the shafts into a random set of heads (let's assume they don't fit your eye) and then shaft up your favorite irons with some Apollo Shadow Jr graphite shafts, do you think you'd be able to hit your favorite heads on that shaft better than your current shafts in a random head?

Head. Having going through many iron reviews in my time, I know it is what affects performance of a club the most. If the caveat is that we are testing a set of irons, let me choose the head style and I'll make the shaft work.

Head. Having going through many iron reviews in my time, I know it is what affects performance of a club the most. If the caveat is that we are testing a set of irons, let me choose the head style and I'll make the shaft work.

See post above yours.

Back