Use one club for the round

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
I don't think this subject has come up in quite a while here on THP, but have any of you folks ever played a 9 or 18 with just one club and if so which one?

I've been kicking around the idea of attacking my home course with my most confident stick, a 6i.

Hypothetically, 7 iron is my best club and what I'd run with.

6 iron for me. I always hit it well and I can dial that in for short bump and runs too. Heck, could putt with it if I had too.

I don't think this subject has come up in quite a while here on THP, but have any of you folks ever played a 9 or 18 with just one club and if so which one?

I've been kicking around the idea of attacking my home course with my most confident stick, a 6i.

I played 18 holes with nothing but a Cobra Forged Black WL 56° wedge, was a lot of fun. I've also played 18 holes with nothing but a 6 iron many times. I also played a league event with a driver, 6 iron, wedge, and putter. I like playing a limited bag.

Sometimes I'll play the red tee's with my Cobra OneLenght irons using just the 4, 6, 8, P, SW and Putter. Makes it for a light carry day, broke 80 with that setup a handful of times.

That would be quite interesting for sure. I would have to use my 6 iron I think.

We had a one club + putter night in a league a few years back. Most used a 5i or 6i. Scores for some were actually better than average as they hit the ball much straighter than usual.

I would have to hit my 7. That sounds like fun

I think I would take my 8 iron.

Om going with 5iron.
Will get me some lentgh form the tees and i am also use to using it for pucnhes and such so no issue bump and runs etc..
Only issue would be greenside buners and putting

For the life of me I can't figure why I would want to shell out good money for a round of golf and then decide to use only one club. That would be like going to a restaurant and paying for steak dinner with potato, a veggie, bread, and a glass of wine and then only eat the potato but leave everything else at the restaurant when I leave. Not gonna happen.

For the life of me I can't figure why I would want to shell out good money for a round of golf and then decide to use only one club. That would be like going to a restaurant and paying for steak dinner with potato, a veggie, bread, and a glass of wine and then only eat the potato but leave everything else at the restaurant when I leave. Not gonna happen.

I totally agree, but I was more curious about those who have done it or have thought about it. In my case, since I'm a member of my home course, the cost of the round is already spoken for so no harm no foul.

I have always wanted to but never have. I think it would be fun to do with a bunch of different clubs. I would love to go with my three hybrid and see what happens.

I haven't done it, but I've thought about it. Discussed it with friends on more than one occasion. Everyone agrees it would be fun, but we haven't tried it yet.

For me, I'd like to think 5i. However, I think 7i would be a better choice for bunker and up close play.

I have done it a few times (9 hole course). I believe my best result was with 8 iron

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Have never done it. My only thought would be what to do if there's a forced carry greater than the club I wanted to carry.

This actually sounds like a lot of fun. I'm going to try it this fall. With the temperature dropping, I suspect many courses will be wide open, especially towards twilight. I'll show up with my 8 iron and two balls and see what happens.

This sounds like a great way to grow some confidence with a particular club and work on your feels/creativity. Didn't Seve learn to golf just playing one long iron?

Last edited:

honestly I kind of feel the same way. I suppose if one is fortunate enough to play a ton of golf then perhpas its a way of mixing things up just to be different. Kind of like my thread about always playing the same course which imo can get old.

But (and with due respect) I dont really get threads that ask such questions. Play with less than 14 and only at 13? if you can carry a 15th? if you can play with one club? if you were limited to just a few? I dont see the point personally.... But that said they do get alot of responses and so if thats what people want to discuss or think about then so be it.

the only possible advantage about playing with one club which imo seprated that question from some others is that perhaps one can learn to hit many different shots with one club. But thats assuming one plays enough rounds and can sacrifcie some of them just for that purpose. Other than that doesnt imo serve much other purpose. But thats just me....and To each his own :) whatever make anyine happy.

i think I’d go with a 6. It would be tough but I’ve wanted to try this for a long time.

honestly I kind of feel the same way. I suppose if one is fortunate enough to play a ton of golf then perhpas its a way of mixing things up just to be different. Kind of like my thread about always playing the same course which imo can get old.

But (and with due respect) I dont really get threads that ask such questions. Play with less than 14 and only at 13? if you can carry a 15th? if you can play with one club? if you were limited to just a few? I dont see the point personally.... But that said they do get alot of responses and so if thats what people want to discuss or think about then so be it.

the only possible advantage about playing with one club which imo seprated that question from some others is that perhaps one can learn to hit many different shots with one club. But thats assuming one plays enough rounds and can sacrifcie some of them just for that purpose. Other than that doesnt imo serve much other purpose. But thats just me....and To each his own :) whatever make anyine happy.

If you shot better scores with a limited bag don’t you think it would be worth it. I’ve seen many people limit there bag and actually play much better.

Hypothetically, 7 iron is my best club and what I'd run with.

this. 3 7 irons will get to most par 5's I play. I can open it a bit and get a high chip. I'd have to learn a few "throttled" shots.

If you shot better scores with a limited bag don’t you think it would be worth it. I’ve seen many people limit there bag and actually play much better.

i implied I can see the learning to hit different plays with the same club can be beneficial. But imo you also need to play enough rounds of golf where using a number of them just to practice this isnt taking away from your limited amount of rounds played. But we can (if desored) learn to flight balls with the same club at a range too as we practice.

I dont play so many rounds that im looking to devote any of them to practicing something like this. Im usually just trying to improve consistencey with genral ball striking. i fthat ever gets where i would cnosistently enough like it to be then just maybe.....but again id have to be playing a wgole lot of golf to give some rounds away towarsd this.

I dunno 8 iron enough loft to get me out of the sand

7 iron is my favorite and best hitting club.

Back