Play the course like a Tour Pro- Formula

I’m gonna club according to whatever is out there. It is nicer when some things aren’t in play with driver in hand, but I’ll club accordingly just the same.

Then again, I don’t mind hitting longer clubs

I’m swinging like a rusty gate on its last hinge at the moment...I’m not scared of any iron though.

So I recently got into a conversation with a Major OEM brand rep about how good tour players were and the distances they play at. He then shed some light on a particular formula that anyone can use to play their course like a Tour pro. In other words hit tee shots from similar distance based on your skill level. And the same thing with the approach shots that would be similar to what the pros would play at their skill level.

Now the same formula could be used to determine which tee set is best for you based on your skill level. But it's interesting that he pointed out that this formula would be comparable to playing your course based on your skill level like a tour pro.

"Avg 7i distance" X 18 = X1

"AVG Driver distance" X 14 = X2

X1 + X2 = Distance

For me this looks something like this:

165 x 18 = 2,970

265 x 14 = 3,710

2970 + 3710 = 6,680

For me I think this will hold true. I usually play between 6300 to 6500 yards. And find it much more difficult above 6500 yards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

is that "average distance" carry or total distance? Cause that's a make a big distance especially with driver distance.

is that "average distance" carry or total distance? Cause that's a make a big distance especially with driver distance.
I think for the formula to be as accurate as possible or would have to be avg carry distance.

Mine came out to 4108. Good thing I play from the reds, though most around here are in the 4300-4400 range.

I think for the formula to be as accurate as possible or would have to be avg carry distance.

i would agree with 7i, but disagree with driver.

it seems to me that the presupposition is that a golfer has a somewhat probable chance of hitting a green in regulation with a 7i or less in hand. so the max distance a golfer expects to comfortably hit a green in regulation is calculated off a 7i.

the driver distance is added to account for the distance it will take to allow the golfer to have that 7i in hand for approaches. so it should be the total driving distance - not just the carry - as the total distance is the point at which the golfer will take his next shot.

it seems to me that the presupposition is that a golfer has a somewhat probable chance of hitting a green in regulation with a 7i or less in hand. so the max distance a golfer expects to comfortably hit a green in regulation is calculated off a 7i.

the driver distance is added to account for the distance it will take to allow the golfer to have that 7i in hand for approaches. so it should be the total driving distance - not just the carry - as the total distance is the point at which the golfer will take his next shot.

but by only using carry numbers, you are able to applied it easier to all courses instead of dependent on course conditions.

but by only using carry numbers, you are able to applied it easier to all courses instead of dependent on course conditions.

that's a good point, but i'm not sure that would simulate the tour experience as well.

Anyone wanna go lose a bunch of golf balls?

2ac49759c4611753bca56ebb6534b67c.jpg

Anyone wanna go lose a bunch of golf balls?

2ac49759c4611753bca56ebb6534b67c.jpg

I've got a brother that lives in Dacula. If I ever find myself over that way, I'll look you up and go lose some golf balls with ya!

Also, I know length ain't everything and I haven't even begun to look up the course map, but I'm not understanding how the 4 par 5's can be the highest handicapped holes on that course. I know I, for one, would rather take my shot at a 622 yard par 5 than a 508 yard or even a 464 yard par 4 and I'm not sure how a 526 yard par 5 can be rated higher than a 508 yard par 4.

I've got a brother that lives in Dacula. If I ever find myself over that way, I'll look you up and go lose some golf balls with ya!

My club is in Dacula, Hamilton Mill. Let’s do it

but its about playing "your course" or "our" courses. And so that would mean each course on its own. If one plays a few or several courses then they would just use the formula (at total driver distance) for what it is at that given courses normal conditions. And then no matter where one plays it would make sense. At least for the average normal conditions at each given course. Nothing can be done when conditions are out of the norm due to weather and such so with that eception all else should work just fine as for the forumal and each given course in its normal state and in relation to your total driver distances.

Last edited:
6894 for me. Which is fine for me. Although my home course is only like 6,200... But tight as heck. Can't hit driver more than 4 times. So that balances out the distance make up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hard no for me dog. 7300 ain't any fun for me. I'm long but not straight. I shot 90 on the only course I played that long all year.

Yeah if I use my Max distances I'm well over 7000 yards. And that just quite frankly isn't Fun! Which goes to show if the formula holds true how difficult it really is out there on tour and how good they actually are
Hard no for me dog. 7300 ain't any fun for me. I'm long but not straight. I shot 90 on the only course I played that long all year.

comes out to 7400 for me. The longest course I play near me is about 7200 with a few par 4s in the upper 400's and 3 par 3's over 200. Have a few good rounds on that course.

I carry my irons around 30 yards longer than the guys I play with so I usually move up and play with them, they like to keep it to under 6800

Yeah if I use my Max distances I'm well over 7000 yards. And that just quite frankly isn't Fun! Which goes to show if the formula holds true how difficult it really is out there on tour and how good they actually are

some of that is their consistency off the tee, though. my max (without wind resistance) would put me around 7,200 to 7,400 yards. if i could hit my max drive every time, i still don't think i would maintain my current handicap but i could probably be within 3 or 4 strokes. but when i MIGHT hit one max distance drive per round, and all the others are 20-25 yards short of that, playing 7,400y would make for a pretty unenjoyable day.

7078. Woo! That’s LONG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back