Play the course like a Tour Pro- Formula

X.Man

Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently got into a conversation with a Major OEM brand rep about how good tour players were and the distances they play at. He then shed some light on a particular formula that anyone can use to play their course like a Tour pro. In other words hit tee shots from similar distance based on your skill level. And the same thing with the approach shots that would be similar to what the pros would play at their skill level.

Now the same formula could be used to determine which tee set is best for you based on your skill level. But it's interesting that he pointed out that this formula would be comparable to playing your course based on your skill level like a tour pro.

"Avg 7i distance" X 18 = X1

"AVG Driver distance" X 14 = X2

X1 + X2 = Distance

For me this looks something like this:

165 x 18 = 2,970

265 x 14 = 3,710

2970 + 3710 = 6,680

For me I think this will hold true. I usually play between 6300 to 6500 yards. And find it much more difficult above 6500 yards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mine came out to 3060+3780=6840. Not a fan of much over 6500, 6700 is pushing it because par 3s get 200 yards+.

Seems to work out pretty close, I can and have been playing up to 6,600 with the Tampa guys but really 6,300 should be where I max out.

It adds up to the course length that I play often, but I feel it's the max I want to play, there's more fun to be had at a slightly shorter length.

Last edited:
5990 for me, which is about right. I'm not a long hitter...

So I recently got into a conversation with a Major OEM brand rep about how good tour players were and the distances they play at. He then shed some light on a particular formula that anyone can use to play their course like a Tour pro. In other words hit tee shots from similar distance based on your skill level. And the same thing with the approach shots that would be similar to what the pros would play at their skill level.

Now the same formula could be used to determine which tee set is best for you based on your skill level. But it's interesting that he pointed out that this formula would be comparable to playing your course based on your skill level like a tour pro.

"Avg 7i distance" X 18 = X1

"AVG Driver distance" X 14 = X2

X1 + X2 = Distance

For me this looks something like this:

165 x 18 = 2,970

265 x 14 = 3,710

2970 + 3710 = 6,680

For me I think this will hold true. I usually play between 6300 to 6500 yards. And find it much more difficult above 6500 yards.

Your numbers seem a bit low?? You crush the ball off the tee...

Mine were the same as @tpluff. Not surprising since we have played plenty together and clubs are similiar. I strive to play at least 6500 or close to it. I'd say 6800 is probably max, but I'd play 7000 if others wanted to

Mine came in at 6324, which is about right. I find 6400+ to be more difficult.

Your numbers seem a bit low?? You crush the ball off the tee...

Mine were the same as @tpluff. Not surprising since we have played plenty together and clubs are similiar. I strive to play at least 6500 or close to it. I'd say 6800 is probably max, but I'd play 7000 if others wanted to
Haha. I'm honest with my averages. Yes I can let it rip, but that's not consistent. So going off of that and skill level. If I were to take MAX distances it would be close to or over 7,000yrds. NO THANK YOU!

As per my game golf;

185x18=3330
258x14=3612
=6942

I really have been failing with my driver, as I know I'm capable of a lot more yardage, but I really have a hard time hitting up on the ball which is why my numbers with woods don't jump up from my iron lengths like they should.

For some longer hitting tour players this equation would push out to 8000+ yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yikes, I should be playing the red tees at most courses.... Sadly I think that is accurate. My home course their is a difference of 450 yards between white/blue tees and it really taxes me to move back. Time to get back to the gym and try and get both those numbers up!

Probably. That would be insane. But in this case it's for the everyday golfer to compare against tour players based on Thier skill level. The Tour pros are the baseline and don't think this formula was intended to work for them.

Mid 6800’s. Seems about right

per arccos, my distance would be 6,790. that's more course than i care to take on if i'm being honest. no way i could maintain my current handicap from that distance.

LOL after looking at some of these numbers I feel like crawling into a hole... man I suck...

7,160 yards. Makes sense. I can play from back there.

Pretty cool formula.

For me it comes out to between 6,600 and 6,700. Seems about right as I generally aim for the tees around 6,500.

per arccos, my distance would be 6,790. that's more course than i care to take on if i'm being honest. no way i could maintain my current handicap from that distance.
Exactly. I think that was the whole point of the formula. At that distance whatever the number comes out to be, you could probably play it, but it'd be a lot more difficult. Which would be in line with the difficulty level of a tour player. #theseguysaregood

Exactly. I think that was the whole point of the formula. At that distance whatever the number comes out to be, you could probably play it, but it'd be a lot more difficult. Which would be in line with the difficulty level of a tour player. #theseguysaregood

if a tour pro hits his 7i 180, and his drive 300, his course should be 7,440. hence the reason the powers that be want to start limiting the golf ball. soon we'll have courses pushing 8,000 yards and that's not sustainable for any tour rota. but i would argue they could slow the fairways, grow the rough, make the bunkers real hazards, and make the greens even faster. i think maintenance/conditions can and will trump distance.

Interesting. I know a course I can go test this out on and see how bad I suck

which is probably why they shoot in the 60s more often than not, right?

I came up with 6290 which is where I like to play (62-6400)

Interesting. I know a course I can go test this out on and see how bad I suck

Curious how you do. I know I definitely have the talent and skills to struggle to break 85 from even the shortest of tees.

Curious how you do. I know I definitely have the talent and skills to struggle to break 85 from even the shortest of tees.

I tend to feel more comfortable further back if I’m hitting the driver well. Which isn’t as often I like...

I tend to feel more comfortable further back if I’m hitting the driver well. Which isn’t as often I like...

I’m gonna club according to whatever is out there. It is nicer when some things aren’t in play with driver in hand, but I’ll club accordingly just the same.

Then again, I don’t mind hitting longer clubs

Back