so took in my Golf for my first non warranty service and DAMN!!!! The guy told me for my 40k mile tuneup (I am actually only at 33k, but it has been 4 years since I bought it) it will be $1100 at the dealership... I know it is only once a year, but holy crap!

When I would take my Toyota in for oil changes and the odd tune up it maybe totaled $250/annually. Maybe when I get those loyalty cards from the TDI debacle I will just hold on to them both for the 5 year/50k tune up.

so took in my Golf for my first non warranty service and DAMN!!!! The guy told me for my 40k mile tuneup (I am actually only at 33k, but it has been 4 years since I bought it) it will be $1100 at the dealership... I know it is only once a year, but holy crap!

When I would take my Toyota in for oil changes and the odd tune up it maybe totaled $250/annually. Maybe when I get those loyalty cards from the TDI debacle I will just hold on to them both for the 5 year/50k tune up.
Woah, that's crazy!!! DSG or stick?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Woah, that's crazy!!! DSG or stick?

Automatic. I am looking around for a good mechanic (a buddy has an old VW so he has some recommendations but doubt it will be that much cheaper. I love the car, but man with the emissions deal and the cost of service I might be looking at getting something else in the next 12 months.

This should be in the daily rant, but, I finally hit the P0401 paydirt. That's the code along with soot in the tailpipe that indicates that the DPF is shot. Hopefully I'm still under warranty. If not it'll be $$$$ to $$$$$.

This should be in the daily rant, but, I finally hit the P0401 paydirt. That's the code along with soot in the tailpipe that indicates that the DPF is shot. Hopefully I'm still under warranty. If not it'll be $$$$ to $$$$$.

That sucks. Hopefully its something stupid causing it and not the DPF.

Continuing the rant, I went to my car this morning after getting to work and noticed a tiny (3/16" at most) scratch on my drivers side. It looks minor but looking at where it is it was either a door or someone brushing against it. I can deal with wear and tear damage like chips on bumpers and what not from driving but when its completely avoidable it drives me insane and now I'll be in a bad mood all day.

That sucks. Hopefully its something stupid causing it and not the DPF.
It is the DPF. :( I'm hoping the dealer here is cool though and will warranty the work for me. :)

Continuing the rant, I went to my car this morning after getting to work and noticed a tiny (3/16" at most) scratch on my drivers side. It looks minor but looking at where it is it was either a door or someone brushing against it. I can deal with wear and tear damage like chips on bumpers and what not from driving but when its completely avoidable it drives me insane and now I'll be in a bad mood all day.

I know how that is. My Vanagon was mint/cherry until a neighbor backed into the passenger front door. Didn't even leave a note or come to chat about it. I was ticked for a few months. Heh.

Got my new springs ordered with the ECS credit I got along with free shipping, they were a steal. Placing the order for the rear sway bar tomorrow as its 20% off and free shipping, tempted to get the front one as well. I have until March/April to make a decision on the front as I want to drop the subframe only once therefore only having to do an alignment once.

My Goodwill Package arrived. It'll be a month until I can activate them, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting.

received my goodwill package Monday, hope to get it activated on Friday (without too much up-selling at the dealership trying to get me to trade in my car) with the service manager and get some snow tires ordered ASAP.

Finally activated my goodwill program, bought a $500 Callaway gift card that I will be using towards the purchase of some new Apex CFs.

Will be keeping the $500 dealer card to use on my next service, hopefully not until next November.

Also, in talking to the guy at the dealership he said several TDI owners have registered in California with no issues, so I am hoping that holds out for me when I have to in a few months.

great use of that 500 dollar card!!!

I've still got my 2015 GLI and love it. It's not anything amazing, but puts plenty of power behind the pedal when I want it to.. Lots of fun to drive.

I have my cards in hand and activated (finally), it was a bit of a process since the "system was down" two times I tried. I was less than impressed with the service manager who had to activate the cards, it really felt like I was putting him out to spend 2 minutes to put my info into the computer. I'm looking to get snow tires using my dealer card, but so far have been quoted $660 installed. Wonder if I have to use it at the dealership that activated it.

I have my cards in hand and activated (finally), it was a bit of a process since the "system was down" two times I tried. I was less than impressed with the service manager who had to activate the cards, it really felt like I was putting him out to spend 2 minutes to put my info into the computer. I'm looking to get snow tires using my dealer card, but so far have been quoted $660 installed. Wonder if I have to use it at the dealership that activated it.

That sucks, the guy that helped me was very cool and did it all very quickly (maybe 5 minutes from me walking in the dealership I was on my way out). From what I read I think you can use it at other dealerships, just has to be a participating dealer (which I assume would be most). Luckily I don't need snow tires where I live, so hoping to use that $500 to pay for my next 10k tune up.

great use of that 500 dollar card!!!

I've still got my 2015 GLI and love it. It's not anything amazing, but puts plenty of power behind the pedal when I want it to.. Lots of fun to drive.

Thanks Dan! I am pretty pumped to get them in, and I figured it will be a way for me to possibly appreciate this whole diesel scandal. The GLI is one of the other 2 cars I was considering before I bought my golf.

This is fun... I called the other day to get a quote on winter tires for my Jetta to use the $500 dealership goodwill and was quoted by parts (who checked with service) $96/tire, $126/tire installed. With taxes I'll be looking at $540ish, perfect! I drop my car off this morning along the the extra set of wheels that the winter tires are going to go on. They are supposed to take my wheels off my car, install winter tires on the spare wheels, then mount them on my car. The "summer" wheels will be put in my basement for storage. I received a call saying that my total bill will be $709.06!!! Um, no! They guy tried telling me there were additional fees that the parts department might not have quoted, like a $25 disposal fee for my old spare tires (total, not each). I'm no mathematician, but it sounds like they are trying to screw me out of almost $150. I called back with my original quote in hand, he said he'll check with parts and call me back. This is why I don't like dealing with dealerships, especially this one!!

Yeah dude, the VW dealerships are always doing this no matter where. Good luck getting your original quote.

Yeah dude, the VW dealerships are always doing this no matter where. Good luck getting your original quote.

I think this is all dealerships to be honest. BMW here is a joke to deal with

Update, after waiting 2 hours for a call back, I called them. The guy in service said it was a "miscommunication" between parts and service and that he "took it out of his end" and my new total is $570 with taxes... Funny how easy a $150 "miscommunication" can be corrected. Heading there to pick it up now.

Well, that's interesting! Wonder how they'll figure which cars will be bought vs retrofitted and what the discount would look like.
I think it's based on certain engine models. No idea about the discount. I think some of the owners are getting off huge though if they're getting full purchase price back... Especially those like my brother that have had the car for 5+ years.

I think it's based on certain engine models. No idea about the discount. I think some of the owners are getting off huge though if they're getting full purchase price back... Especially those like my brother that have had the car for 5+ years.

Mine is a 2010, can't imagine they'd give me purchase price back now...

I have a fully paid off '11 Golf TDI. I think the only way I would take a buyback is if it was full purchase price.

So... down here in Argentina, the range of VWs is downright amazing. All can be had with stick (most with automatic), almost all with diesel, and they get great fuel economy because of the wider range of engine choices. If you want a comfortable city vehicle, there are three or four models smaller than the Golf. On top of that, should you choose to you can get the Golf with a 1.4l engine. Anyways, I'm envious.

I will get a pic up but I have an '05 GTI 1.8t. 190k miles and just over 300whp with the stock motor. Just upgraded turbo, injectors, exhaust, and intake system. I changed the color to the Corrado Dragon Green Pearl. I actually did the paint work, changed it from black. All of the jams and everything done.

Back