Need help with recent Titleist fitting, please!

Reaction score
Handicap
I went and got fit for the TS driver on 9/6 when it was released. I was fit into the TS3 head with 8.5* of loft and a 45" Smoke 70 shaft with a 5.5 flex.

I went to a different Titleist Thursday event this past Thursday and this fitter put me into the same head, loft and shaft except this time it was a 6.0 flex. He also put me into the Smoke 70 6.0 in a 4 wood and PX LZ 6.0 in irons and wedges. Only the 19* 818 H1 received a different shaft which was the Blue Tensei 80 stiff.

Should I worry about a 1/2 flex? Back in my prime, I was fit by Hot Stix in AZ and they put me into a 5.5 Rifle in my irons. I doubt that I need a stiffer, heavier shaft 15 years later with a partially torn rotator cuff! Don't get me wrong, I got good results but I am not getting any younger!

Driver swing speed topped out at 98 mph and I have a quick transition not that that is the be all - end all in club fitting.

I probably can't get Titleist to swap out shafts...

Thank you in advance!

I went and got fit for the TS driver on 9/6 when it was released. I was fit into the TS3 head with 8.5* of loft and a 45" Smoke 70 shaft with a 5.5 flex.

Thank you in advance!

Who was your first fitter? Was it a pro or non-Titleist guy? I only ask cause if it was me, I’d go with the recs from the Titleist Thursday as the guys that perform those fittings are very well-trained and proficient in the TS line and the offerings from Titleist. I trust them over anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who was your first fitter? Was it a pro or non-Titleist guy? I only ask cause if it was me, I’d go with the recs from the Titleist Thursday as the guys that perform those fittings are very well-trained and proficient in the TS line and the offerings from Titleist. I trust them over anyone else.

Both fitters were from a Titleist Thursday. Different locations, different fitters.

Both fitters were from a Titleist Thursday. Different locations, different fitters.

Interesting. Well it seems you aren’t comfortable either way, I’d suggest do another fitting before you make a purchase. Hopefully you wouldn’t get a third separate recommendation and plus the fittings are free and your clubs are not. Make sure you’re confident in what you’re ordering. Otherwise (if you’re like me) it’ll get in your head that you ordered the wrong one lol

I guess I should have mentioned too that after the fitting on 9/6, I ordered the recommended driver with the 5.5 shaft and received it on 9/26. I went to the Titleist fitting on 9/27 to get fit for the rest of the bag. We started with irons, went to hybrids, then fairways and then finally the driver. I thought the fitter had me in 5.5 until I asked him and he confirmed that it was 6.0.

Sounds like your swing like many amateurs changes. I would go with your original fitting and not worry about it

Sounds like your swing like many amateurs changes. I would go with your original fitting and not worry about it

Agree with this. Topping out at 98 you could likely play either (there are many other factors, I know I know) but the 5.5 might prove quite useful in your hands on most days.

Interesting. Well it seems you aren’t comfortable either way, I’d suggest do another fitting before you make a purchase. Hopefully you wouldn’t get a third separate recommendation and plus the fittings are free and your clubs are not. Make sure you’re confident in what you’re ordering. Otherwise (if you’re like me) it’ll get in your head that you ordered the wrong one lol

If he goes to a third fitting and it produces a different option wouldn’t that get in his head too? Imo thenlrss varisbles the better, so stSting with option 1 imo makes the most sense considering he purchased based on that. And as molten mentions the slightly softer flex imo would be beneficial in the long run especially late in rounds.

Agree with this. Topping out at 98 you could likely play either (there are many other factors, I know I know) but the 5.5 might prove quite useful in your hands on most days.

If he goes to a third fitting and it produces a different option wouldn’t that get in his head too? Imo thenlrss varisbles the better, so stSting with option 1 imo makes the most sense considering he purchased based on that. And as molten mentions the slightly softer flex imo would be beneficial in the long run especially late in rounds.

I can only speak of my experience but with driver shafts I prefer to go down a flex when I’m in between two. It might be mental but it has seemed to work for me.

Back