for thse northern areas...how has been/was the late summer conditions at your course?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Most of us know what august can bring. Late summer stressed browned out dried firm fairways and lawns from that last month of sun and heat and possible not enough timely rains.

Well, for us here in the tristate (namely jersey) area we've had the rains this year and things have stayed imo much greener than normal. The rains have hurt alot of golfing time but it has kept the courses nicer than usual. Now we deal with aerations of course but we are nice and green fwiw.

How have you done in your area towards the end of summer and into the start of the fall season?

We are doing about the same as you here in northern Illinois. Very green from a lot of rainfall in the past month. Some leaves on the ground but not much. No aeration yet but that is coming very soon I fear.

A couple of our 18 hole munis closed for the day due to frost, snow showers and -! C temp. Played the 9 hole muni in the afternoon.. +3 with occasional snow showers. Played as a single with another single. Course is in great shape, shot a 48 , enjoyed the walk. poor guy lost a ball on every tee shot.

The course I mainly play in Ocean County is miserable. The fairways are bare ground and mud, and the greens are worse. To add to this, our course just aerated the greens causing more muddy conditions. I've played at another course last week, and the conditions were the same. Very little, or sparse grass on the fairways, and greens sopping wet.

On the positive side I'm learning to hit approach shots from bare ground and mud, which should improve my overall ball striking.

The course I mainly play in Ocean County is miserable. The fairways are bare ground and mud, and the greens are worse. To add to this, our course just aerated the greens causing more muddy conditions. I've played at another course last week, and the conditions were the same. Very little, or sparse grass on the fairways, and greens sopping wet.

On the positive side I'm learning to hit approach shots from bare ground and mud, which should improve my overall ball striking.

sorry to hear that but monmouth county courses are very green. As said in my OP even better than normal for the late summer. perhpas next year you can look into a non resident county card for monmouth. i actually bum into a few people a year that do that.

A couple of our 18 hole munis closed for the day due to frost, snow showers and -! C temp. Played the 9 hole muni in the afternoon.. +3 with occasional snow showers. Played as a single with another single. Course is in great shape, shot a 48 , enjoyed the walk. poor guy lost a ball on every tee shot.

We had our first frost today. I had a 7:30 am tee time, waited 45 minutes for the frost to melt, but eventually gave up. There were at least 30 guys waiting around. Not sure when, or if, they got out.

Up here in New York State, on the Canadian border the weather has been beautiful for golfing, but now I hear they are calling for mostly rainy days this coming week.

Here in NC Ohio the summer has been tough on the low end courses where I play. If they didn't/can't water their FW's they are toast.

But Mother Nature decided that wasn't enough and has now decided to drown those browned out courses the last two weeks. It's ugly here.

Rough is thick & green. Fairways & greens are in excellent shape for having endured a full season. Aeration is mostly done. Fewer courses are taking cores every year so where they have not the greens came back very quick. First frost delay on Saturday and the 10-day forecast looks cold & wet. Hopefully Indian summer makes an appearance in the second half of October. If it does the last few weeks of the season could be really good.

We’ve had an extremely wet summer in this part of NY, even the rural/goat track courses that normally have rock hard fairways in August and September have been extremely soft. My home course has had a few fairways that have stayed cart path only for the entire year which has never happened before. Really hoping for a dry October but so far it seems unlikely.

Courses we played in mid-Michigan this week were in tremendous shape with the greens rolling fast and true and some LUSH rough. Just in time for them to aerify the greens.

We were pretty dried out and conditions have been firm, however with a lot of rain recently the courses are getting green and a bit soft.

This is probably the most green and soft I can remember our home course being for the whole year, we got a ton of rain the last couple of months. We just played yesterday and commented about how green it still is. Soon they will begin aerating which always sucks but hopefully the weather stays warm enough we can play and battle those little holes.

The last few courses I have played were still in great shape and very green. Aerating is starting on some courses. With the next week looking raining and chilly not going to be much chance to get out in MN here. Going to have to start planning somewhere warm to go play.

Home course says they are operating with about 20% normal water. Course is very dry and firm, more than normal.

Great, maybe a bit too much rain but overall the best weather of the year, low humidity and perfect blue skies.

Back