THP Lesson Thread

I forgot about this thread. I had a lesson yesterday. My goal was to have my pro give me a tuneup so I can get off the tees this weekend during a guys trip.

The problems I reported to him:
- a big OTT move, feeling very disconnected and out of sequence
- big pushes/slices + intermittent pulls with driver

Other problems he saw/diagnosed:
- breaking my wrists early on the take away
- too flat at the top

The fixes:
- one piece take away
- setting up so the club is more like a straight extension of my left (front) arm
- swinging on an inside to out path
- rotating the forearms through/after impact (I may not be saying this one right)

The results:
- Straight balls and an increase of 5+ MPH with the driver SS.

Setting up to the ball like that and the resulting takeaway felt weird but the ball doesn't lie.

Sounds like you're working on some same things as me. Let us know how the trip goes with the changes. I know personally I will need a good deal of practice to counter the bad muscle memory I have.

PS - how do you like the G30 driver? I bought one on the forum and hear good things. I need forgiveness more than distance.

Sounds like you're working on some same things as me. Let us know how the trip goes with the changes. I know personally I will need a good deal of practice to counter the bad muscle memory I have.

PS - how do you like the G30 driver? I bought one on the forum and hear good things. I need forgiveness more than distance.
I am with you on that - I also need more practice / muscle memory to really engrain and maintain. Hopefully these changes stick through the weekend :)

I love the G30, especially with the Tour 65 shaft. How have you liked it so far?

Yea on the weird hitch among other things

I wouldn't call that a hitch. I'd call that a monster cast because your last instructor was a giant idiot and focused on making you take the club an entire beach ball outside on takeaway and left that to destroy your distance.

If your next instructor doesn't use the term 'lag retention' in lesson 1, take your glove off and slap him with it.

I am with you on that - I also need more practice / muscle memory to really engrain and maintain. Hopefully these changes stick through the weekend :)

I love the G30, especially with the Tour 65 shaft. How have you liked it so far?

It's still on its way to my house, so haven't even gotten it yet. I probably won't hit it too much to begin with, as my first few lessons will probably be grooving 7 iron swing. But it was the one the fitter recommended last month, and it seemed very forgiving.

Took another lesson this morning and we now went into the transition of the swing.Boy is this completely opposite of how I used to hit the ball.No way I would've figured to approach the ball like this on my own.He had me drop the club behind me while I squat over and over in his mirror.Still haven't hit a golf ball yet in these lessons,but today was a big learning experience.Feels like I'm going to hit the ball right of right this way.Will work on this all week in the mirror than go back and learn impact

I'm looking to set up another lesson either this weekend or early next week. Few things I want to work on that cropped up since the last lesson:

-At my Modern Golf fitting, I discovered that while my 6i swing speed is approximately 86mph, my driver swing speed only averages around 96mph. It seems like I should be able to get north of 100mph based on that additional shaft length. I'm sure something is screwy in my technique which is robbing me of speed.
-I struggled mightily with my 4h/5w off the tee on Friday for some reason. Want to try to shed some light on that. It's probably something simple like ball position.
-Also want to have my Bridgestone Test Drives in hand so I can get some numbers for the Recoil and Steelfiber against my current setup, and see what the pro thinks about the possible change.

The good news though is that I'm hitting my irons better than I have in a long time, so the things we worked on in my last lesson (first post of this thread) really seem to be helping. I'm hitting a nice high draw with most of my irons now, except my 5, which I typically hit with a slight fade to try and help it stop a little better.

Good stuff, SBG. Yeah, you should definitely see SS increase with the driver with the help of your pro. It is awesome how swing efficiency and sequencing makes it feel effortless but the club is actually going faster.

Kinda clueless who to reach out to for lessons.

Google was useless
Not sure i want to go with golftec.

Blah
Not sure how close you are to North Olmstead but Nick Paez teaches out of the golftec there. He is supposed to be pretty good.

My father was very generous this year with Christmas so I will be looking at a lesson package once I find a decent PGA pro in the area. I will update the thread once I get started. I am excited for the new year and my game though.

Had another lesson with my instructor today, and I told him I was a little frustrated with my play in Texas last week. He took a look at my swing and I still wasn't using my lower body enough, and because of that my overswing was out of control. We focused on 2 things today: wider stance at address, then feeling a big shift into the right (rear) leg on the backswing. What I was doing at the start of the lesson is my right hip would move towards the target in the backswing and then I would over-rotate. The feeling that I need to have is that my right hip is stacked over my right knee and ankle. We worked on a drill where an alignment stick was 2-3 inches to the right of my right hip, and I have to feel on the backswing like I'm going to hit that stick. It feels like I'm making a huge move away from the ball, but what actually happens is a nice load into the right side, and then I can fire through to the left side on the downswing.

The interesting part about today is that my instructor said we're going to work a lot on this in the next few months. He admitted to me that we tried to do some different things last summer and fall and didn't have a consistent plan, because he said that he was just trying to make small tweaks to my swing during the golf season. Now that it's winter up here, he wants me to stay on this plan to make bigger changes. The goal is a more body-driven swing instead of an arms-dominated swing.

I spoke with one of the assistants at the club on Monday about starting full swing lessons. Although my game has been pretty good, I feel that there are some things that I need help with to really make a big jump with lowering my scores.
Should have a lesson in the next two weeks, probably next weekend.

Finally hit my first golf ball shots today after 12 lessons.And I really hit them well putting all of the hard work together.Had a tendency to over tilt into the hit and not turn according to the teacher.We worked on the turn past the ball used as the hit versus the hands.Ball flew very straight and I was actually shocked as I'm used to wild slices.My old way to hit was to turn the hands over which is what causes a slice from his teachings.Now the face feels wide open but it goes straight and low? Strange,but at least I'm hitting golf balls now

Finally hit my first golf ball shots today after 12 lessons.And I really hit them well putting all of the hard work together.Had a tendency to over tilt into the hit and not turn according to the teacher.We worked on the turn past the ball used as the hit versus the hands.Ball flew very straight and I was actually shocked as I'm used to wild slices.My old way to hit was to turn the hands over which is what causes a slice from his teachings.Now the face feels wide open but it goes straight and low? Strange,but at least I'm hitting golf balls now

That's exciting, dude. Glad the work is paying off, and it's fun to actually hit the little white ball!

My wife purchased five 1/2 hour lessons for me for Christmas. Can't wait to get started, but I'm going to wait until early spring so that I can take what I've learned on to the course.

Thank you Sowega

I have so much to remember at this point that I was amazed I hit it well.So hoping this works well on the course

THP Lesson Thread

Went into GolfTec today for some practice after my initial lesson. About what i expected. My flaw was a classic outside takeaway leading to OTT move. Now I think I've gotten comfortable with the proper inside takeaway and getting the hands set deeper and flatter at the top.

But once I get to the top in the better position, I don't know how to execute the downswing properly. We didn't get to backswing yet. I know I'm supposed to have this feeling of swinging out to right field but it's not there yet. I've lost most feel of tempo and rhythm to make solid contact with the ball bC I'm thinking about the takeaway stuff. My shots were mostly big sweeping hooks or nasty slices/shanks.

Working on downswing will be next lesson. Hopefully I can get that ironed out and some solid contact will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THP Lesson Thread

Big sigh of relief. We worked on the downswing today and I was able to execute some halfway decent shots with the correct swing path. For a minute the other night, I thought "oh no, what if I can't re learn how to hit it solid again?"

Now, I'm not done by any means. On many swings I'm still swinging too over the top due to prior bad habits. But with some drills and coaching I was able to feel and see what dropping the club into the slot is. Doing that helped generate decent lag vs prior swings releasing club early.

I also got some rhythm and feel back. Lots more practice needed but improvement was made. I like the GolfTec setup so far of lesson, then practice on your own for a week or more, then regroup with instructor to see what worked and what didn't. Also, today we established a swing thought early but he kept trying different drills and methods until we found the ones that enabled me to execute the point.

I had my first lesson with the new coach yesterday, and I left very excited. He believes there is one major flaw holding me back, and after getting through that it will be just fine tuning a few things.

He has me working on not dropping my left shoulder and raiding my right during the back swing. He thinks that is the primary cause of my natural tendency to get outside in, and for the snap hooks when I do get inside out.

I had my first lesson with the new coach yesterday, and I left very excited. He believes there is one major flaw holding me back, and after getting through that it will be just fine tuning a few things.

He has me working on not dropping my left shoulder and raiding my right during the back swing. He thinks that is the primary cause of my natural tendency to get outside in, and for the snap hooks when I do get inside out.

when? during the backswing? or during the downswing?

Had a great lesson yesterday. Came in looking to get my tee game addressed, as my driver has been pretty wonky lately. Started off reviewing my iron swing, which we worked pretty heavily last time, and he liked what he saw, but noticed I wasn't getting the extension we'd like to see. This would prove prescient for my driver, as the bent right arm at impact was more pronounced with the longer clubs and really was the cause of the block miss that has been plaguing me lately. It's also a reason why my clubhead speed with driver sometimes isn't as high as it ought to be. So we worked on extension and fully releasing the club, as well as not being afraid to use some hand speed down through impact. At this point he mentioned that my rear foot is splayed for some reason with driver, causing my weight to hang back - again causing a block. So we squared that up pretty quickly.

On video, he also noticed that I wasn't staying down on the ball with driver, leading to thin shots and weak pushes. So another key was staying down on it. All of this lead me to finally have some confidence in my driver by the end of the lesson!

The last thing we did was ball position, and controlling flight with it, as we discussed how to keep the launch angle up with driver. He then had me go to wedges and showed me that I could change my carry distance on a given wedge by 15-20 yards just by moving ball position - further forward for a higher flight and shorter carry, further back for lower flight and more distance.

Overall it was a solid lesson, and not only addressed my issues but gave me some new tools on the course!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not sure this is the correct spot,but here is my new grip after lessons.Sorry I don't have an older one.We worked 3 lessons alone on just the correct grip for me.He told me to always check in the mirror and make sure the hands v point left of my sternum mid.
7bf5b562f35687f9a8cd9d62c3147de1.jpg

Just finished up and getting feedback from someone I trust with my swing. Sending me still frames of my flaws so that I have visual examples
56e7f8203ec7ee97a4f2424df58da2cf.jpg

Chip, that's definitely a weak grip. As folks mentioned in other thread, a strong grip will probably work better. I don't understand why just the grip took 3 lessons and you couldn't hit balls. Screams ripoff to me and I'd look for second opinion. Sorry man.

Back