Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

They did, but the distance gap just didn't make sense in the bag.

I think they just wanted to see if you could hit the other end of the range with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was the day I finally got to hit the C200s.

I walked into Golfsmith and after walking towards the demo clubs, was asked by one of the fitters if there was anything in particular I wanted to hit. When I responded that I heard they had the new W/S demos in, he responded with a laugh and "oh, so YOU'RE that guy!"

So I guess I have a reputation now?

ANYWAYS! I grabbed the C200, D200, and F5, along with the XR OS and Cobra Max so I could have some comparisons. One of the fitters put together a Ping GMax for me to hit, but I was not a fan. The F5 I was able to put aside quickly, while I was able to hit it fairly straight, it was a good 15 yards shorter for me. And toe hits were not forgiving, at least not to my swing.

But the C200? All the reviews have been dead on. The ball just rockets off the face. Even mishits feel pretty darn good, but the ones you pure? Awesome. Peak height was on average 5 yards higher than the closest other clubs (D200 and Max).

Distance and dispersion wise, it was almost neck and neck with the D200 however. My miss with the C200 was just to the right, usually a slight fade, while the D200 wanted to draw slightly if it wasn't going dead straight. The Cobra Max just wants to go high and straight, period, but those thoughts are for another thread (likewise with the XR OS).

I'm going to head back with my D100s and do a true comparison on distance, dispersion, and peak height in a week or so. I know there's a pic of the C200 vs D200 in the thread, so here it is up against the F5 and the XR OS as comparisons.

F5:
c7c4dc95b4158be1d40b4db2e7f7080f.jpg

XR OS:
1cd715cb87e266a0af0e6c8e45be4df9.jpg

Seekonk Golfsmith has them??

Yup. R flex steel and S flex graphite IIRC.

Hmm.. I'll have to head there tomorrow. Curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Glad u got some time with them finally russ

Yup. R flex steel and S flex graphite IIRC.

When is your full set arriving? :D

Glad u got some time with them finally russ

Me too. These clubs are legit, the hype is real. Every accolade you and the #StaffProto testers have posted has been well deserved.

When is your full set arriving? :D

Not gonna lie - I've spent the afternoon thinking about what I could sell or trade to make it happen.

If I'm honest though, it'll really depend on the results of the head to head with my D100. If they truly give me that much more consistency, I'll have some by the time winter here in the Northeast breaks. This way I'll have some time to save up. If the head to head doesn't show big gains (and I totally think it'll show improvement in every metric) then I'll probably hold off for a bit, and keep any gear ho'ing to a minimum to be able to pick some up.

Last edited:
Me too. These clubs are legit, the hype is real. Every accolade you and the #StaffProto testers have posted has been well deserved.

Not gonna lie - I've spent the afternoon thinking about what I could sell or trade to make it happen.

If I'm honest though, it'll really depend on the results of the head to head with my D100. If they truly give me that much more consistency, I'll have some by the time winter here in the Northeast breaks. This way I'll have some time to save up. If the head to head doesn't show big gains (and I totally think it'll show improvement in every metric) then I'll probably hold off for a bit, and keep any gear ho'ing to a minimum to be able to pick some up.

Here is a photo of the D100 vs. C200
0fd781c9b701aef611c8a51065ef1a10.jpg

I definitely prefer the C200 profile, that's for sure. But I also liked the D200 a lot more than the 100

Here is a photo of the D100 vs. C200
0fd781c9b701aef611c8a51065ef1a10.jpg

Thanks for that! For some reason I thought it was a D200... I'll take a few more pics next week when I head back for the true comparison.

50f5374f2837a3a0a15452d52d4808c5.jpg

Look what made the Golf Channel Instagram feed.

Here is my experience with the Wilson C200s that I was graciously able to attend the Wilson #StaffProto THP event. Here is a little about myself and what I have experienced with these irons
I have been golfing for over 16 years now or so and currently at a 13.3 handicap. My previous set was Cobra Amp Cells with Kuro Kage graphite shafts in them. Knowing how much better dispersion I had with the graphite, I was curious to see what would be a better fit for me coming into this event, graphite or steel. I normally launch the ball high with the irons with decent distance and over past 2 years been able to hit closer to my target without having a bad slice to the ball. Going into the event, I was never fit for a set of clubs and always used hand me downs or clubs I have traded for so I was very excited to see what was going to come about in the end. Was mainly looking to see if I could gain a few yards with each club so that I would have no problems at the 160-170 yard range. Here is my takeaway of the Wilson C200 irons.

Wilson C200's:
After sitting in the conference room and hearing about these irons from the people at Wilson Staff, I couldn't wait to get my hands on them at the range and to get my fitting done. We got a couple of swings with them before they started to fit us for a set. First impressions was "The ball really jumps off the face and you can feel it". I knew that these clubs were for me as I was looking to gain a few yards to cover more distance. I got fit with the Aldila Rogue stiff graphite shafts. These were the best feeling shafts for me and was hitting the ball constantly in the same area. In the end, I ended up with standard Loft and Length on the clubs. That was the point that I was really excited to be able to get my clubs and try them out the next day. Since receiving my C200's, I have been able to play 15 rounds with them and become comfortable in my club selection. Here our some of my thoughts.

DISTANCE:
Right from the start, I noticed I was gaining 3-5 yards extra with my 7-pw. This took me awhile to get used to as with the previous clubs I knew exactly what I needed. So I had to remember at certain distances I needed to club down or else I had potential to hit over my target. What's great about the C200 irons is even if I mishit and catch a little of the toe or bottom grooves, the ball still travels a great distance and what could have been a terrible shot wont end so badly for me. This is a big plus for me as I am working to be more consistent with my swing, but knowing that if I don't put the purest swing on the ball and still have it go where I am aiming is a huge confidence booster. The 4-6 irons for me I haven't seen a huge gain in yardage except off the tee. Been able to hit a few 185 yard to 195 yard 5 irons off the tee which helps out in the long par 3's which I have struggled with in the past.

Control, Feel and Forgiveness:
C200's are by far the easiest and most forgiving irons I hit. I had a rough start at first with the long irons as I was pushing everything to the right. I realized after awhile that the previous set I had was over a 1/2 inch shorter and I moved closer to the ball to fix problem that I was having. Once I stepped a tad farther back away from ball, I was striking the ball very well. As I explained earlier, the forgiveness on the C200's is second to none. You can hit the ball anywhere on the face and come off with a good shot. I am a true believer also in the #GenFlx head of the C200. You can feel the ball compressing and exploding off of the face of the club, which is no feeling I have felt with any of my other irons. You truly get rewarded with the feel every time you put a good swing on the ball and the results get better and better.

Overall:
I am very pleased with Wilson C200's and can see these irons staying in the bag for a long time. They hit the head on every category when it comes to distance, control and forgiveness. The looks of the heads don't stand out to me but very easy on the eyes while standing over the ball. The satin finish looks good and not much of a distraction when it comes to the light hitting off of them. They are very easy to hit and believe any handicap can handle the C200's but definitely see the higher handicaps (like me) benefit more from them. These are a must try if you are in the market for irons this year and with the performance and the cost, the C200's will be fighting at the top of the list of this years released irons. Wilson has hit a homerun with the C200's and will be putting up a stiff fight to all other manufacturers out there

Crushed it, Robman.

Good stuff dude. I bet you hammer these irons.

Love that shaft pairing you have, too.

I really really really want to hit these with the graphite shaft!

They are impressive. I enjoyed hitting 441s last weekend. Smooth, easy to launch, and loooonnnnggg

That AW though, that thing is a beast.

Great review Robman. Really want to try these clubs. So close being in Chicago next week but got extra people in the car and can't stop at PGATSS. Ugh

You come on over and we can make that happen. I have seen you play and believe these could be a good fit for you.

Robman- What were you gaming previously?

You come on over and we can make that happen. I have seen you play and believe these could be a good fit for you.

Might need to get out to OH for a sim golf gathering this winter. I think it will also move me up in the OH RR rankings

Robman- What were you gaming previously?
Come on, like stated in the review, I was playing Amp Cells with Kuro Kage stiff graphite shafts. Which to me were very forgiving, so to have a club even more forgiving is a huge gain

They are impressive. I enjoyed hitting 441s last weekend. Smooth, easy to launch, and loooonnnnggg

That AW though, that thing is a beast.
Love my set GW. I have hit enough great shots with it already

Killed it rob...very well done

Come on, like stated in the review, I was playing Amp Cells with Kuro Kage stiff graphite shafts. Which to me were very forgiving, so to have a club even more forgiving is a huge gain
Yeah, I see that now.

Those were long irons, so to see you gaining distance with these says a lot.

Yeah, I see that now.

Those were long irons, so to see you gaining distance with these says a lot.
Absolutely. Now I imagine some seen a bigger gain than I did but it was just enough to allow me to get those farther distances with the 5 and 6 iron

Any thoughts on what percentage of those distance gains were the club vs getting properly fit for a shaft?

Back