Going to pull the trigger on a Big Bertha Mini

MarkY

Reaction score
Handicap
A little background... I'm 56, short at 5'6" but fairly athletic. Play to an 8 index and have never been comfortable with a big 460cc head driver. Currently play an R11s. I also bag a TM Burner 3 wood (15 degree). I carry the 3 wood about 220. I only average about 240 with the R11s IF I hit it. My miss is usually a pull hook and in all honesty my overall average is better with the Burner 3W. I have little confidence in the R11s.

On a whim today, I went and hit the Big Bertha Mini as I'm looking for some more distance off the tee. I was consistently hitting it 20 yards farther than my Burner. I brought both to hitting bay so that I could do an apple/apple comparison. I don't want to shell out $300 for a club that I "already have". That said, I think I'm going to pull the R11s out of my bag and pick up the Mini. Will go well with my CF16s.

Anyone think I'm nutz?

Don't think you're nuts at all. When I was out playing at The Grandaddy one of the Callaway guys (Dnevs) had one in his bag and hit quite a few nice shots with it.

I think if you're more comfortable with it, go for it. I've heard many good things about it. Haven't hit one myself so my advice is pretty much worth what you've paid for it. :bulgy-eyes:

Going to pull the trigger on a Big Bertha Mini

I have one. I bought mine from Callaway Preowned on Black Friday. Not really in love with it. I gamed the TM SLDR S mini before and had actually traded it in. Once I got the 1.5, I didn't hit it as well as the TM. I bought it back from Callaway. I just hit the TM better. Glad to have it back. For the $50 trade in value, I'll keep it. Either way, the mini's keep me from getting more in trouble from the tee. I do hit my mini off the fairway without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Played with a gentleman recently that did not carry a driver and played his Mini like a champ off the tee. I asked him about it and he told a similar story to yours. Play what works and have fun with the new toy.

I hit my driver well but I still like the Mini. It inspires confidence on tight holes - let point and shoot. And it is pretty long, maybe 10-15 yes shorter than well struck driver shots.

I'd say not nutz at all. Go with what fits your eye and what works. I like a smaller headed driver myself. Not a bad move at all. Hope it works well for you!

Not nutz at all! Mini is a seriously good club and I can game it in place of driver if needed. A phenomenal club especially on shorter par 4's and par 5's where you know you won't be going at green in 2.

I don't have a mini driver but I'm in the boat. Not as good with 460 heads. I use a Jetspeed 3 WOOD as my driver.

Back