Get fitted now or wait?

Crease

Reaction score
Handicap
Infinity
Hi all. Planning to build out my first bag this winter. I currently rent or borrow as to this point I never played regularly enough. Caught the bug this year though, as a replacement for hockey which had become too stressful on the body. I shoot in the 90s and low 100s. Great with irons, not so much off the tee or inside 75 yards. Read a lot about the merits of getting fitted. I'm wondering if it's worth the money for a high handicapper still working on developing a consistent swing. Perhaps a compromise would be to buy used and have them adjusted for length, lie, and loft. How would you approach this process? Thanks in advance.

Being a high cap most will tell you lessons is going to be your best bet. If you have a reliable repeatable miss a fitting could help some but you said you are still looking for a consistent swing. I thinking your best bet is pick up some used club and practice/Get lessons before you go for a fitting.

Hi all. Planning to build out my first bag this winter. I currently rent or borrow as to this point I never played regularly enough. Caught the bug this year though, as a replacement for hockey which had become too stressful on the body. I shoot in the 90s and low 100s. Great with irons, not so much off the tee or inside 75 yards. Read a lot about the merits of getting fitted. I'm wondering if it's worth the money for a high handicapper still working on developing a consistent swing. Perhaps a compromise would be to buy used and have them adjusted for length, lie, and loft. How would you approach this process? Thanks in advance.

Find an instructor you like and begin taking lessons, practicing the technique you learn. The instructor will advise you on what type of equipment to buy.

Best gonhace clubs that work with your swing than trying to force a swing to make clubs fit and developing bad habitsLessons are a great way to learn the swing and will help prevent developing bad habits.

Whether you get new irons or choose to work with something pre-owned, I'd definitely involve a fitter sooner rather than later. The wrong fitment can give the impression of a swing problem that doesn't exist and/or conceal the real problem(s).

Last edited:
Decent set of used clubs, take them to a fitter, see what they can tweak, get lessons, practice, get good, get fitted for sweet new sticks.

Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the suggestion of buying used and eventually getting them adjusted. Finding it hard to demo older models though. Can I extrapolate backwards from newer models? If, for example, I hit TaylorMade M4s well, is it safe to assume I would also do well with the RSi 1 or Rocketbladez? FWIW, of the 2016-17 game improvement irons I hit Titleist 716 AP1s the best. I have no qualms about going older and in fact would prefer to.

Last edited:
Back