Swing is too long

Johnny mojo

Mojovated!
Reaction score
Freddie-

My buddy took some video of my swing today. Not sure what he is sending, but when he does, would you mind taking a look? I'm long again and swinging from the top still. Looking for a drill to shorten the back swing some.

After a wider stance this afternoon, ball flight was a consistent straight to slight fade with one pull draw kind of shape (came too far from the outside on that one).

Thanks in advance big guy!

JM

Freddie-

My buddy took some video of my swing today. Not sure what he is sending, but when he does, would you mind taking a look? I'm long again and swinging from the top still. Looking for a drill to shorten the back swing some.

After a wider stance this afternoon, ball flight was a consistent straight to slight fade with one pull draw kind of shape (came too far from the outside on that one).

Thanks in advance big guy!

JM

Why do you think your swing is too long?
Could it be your swing is just a little out of sync?
It's your swing if you want to change it, have at it but as Arnie says swing your swing.

Two things I do are feel my chin hit my front shoulder and stop.

Other is to use a towel or head cover under my back arm and if I get long it tends to fall out.

Try swing extender.

Why do you think your swing is too long?
Could it be your swing is just a little out of sync?
It's your swing if you want to change it, have at it but as Arnie says swing your swing.

Thanks, my swing is too long because I know it is. It's not the swing I know I can make, but I just need a little help from someone who has assisted me before in getting it back to what in know it can be. Whatever I have done before to fix this is not working right now and I need a little assist is all!

JM

Thanks, my swing is too long because I know it is. It's not the swing I know I can make, but I just need a little help from someone who has assisted me before in getting it back to what in know it can be. Whatever I have done before to fix this is not working right now and I need a little assist is all!

JM

I can understand how you feel about your swing, many times I'm not swinging well and think I know what the problem is but still can't change my swing. I do find that for me it's usually something simple that has slowly become something larger until it has got my swing out of sync. I do find that if it is transition related that a pause at the top seems to help the swing, sequence better for me. I've always been big on connection also and taking slower, shorter swings. Good luck and I'm sure someone familiar with your swing can help you and Tadashi70 is just the man for the job.

Good Luck

Sorry for the delay Freddie. The Videos would not download. I will get some tomorrow and get them posted. Thanks in advance for the help.

JM

Here we go Panda. First is down the line and the second is head on. These were from the back nine on yesterday's round. They are tee shots on back to back holes (#11 and #12). Both balls were in play and the shape was a mid-trajectory slight fade. Distance on #11 was weak and on #12 it was pretty good. Driver used was my J40 with Fuji Fuel from THPMC.

[video=youtube_share;-VEQHRE7Yic]http://youtu.be/-VEQHRE7Yic[/video]

While you are the doctor, I feel as though my ills are related to my turn or lack there of in both directions and my swing from the top in an effort to "hit it farther". As the thread title indicates, I feel as though I have gotten way too long (see previous comment about hitting it farther). When you helped me before, you had me swinging the club much more compact and I felt as though I was so much more connected with my swing if that makes sense. I made much more consistent contact back then and always seemed to find the fairway. Recently I have hit more tops and dribblers off the tee than I would like to admit.

Ill stop now and wait to hear back from you. Looking for a drill or two to help me get back to where I was. Thanks in advance and hope Grand Cypress treated you well today.

JM

jm I'm looking forward to freddie's comments. there's a lot to like about your swing. the only thing I saw was that you're not clearing that left hip as you move into impact. in the face on video, your hips still look pretty square at impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM your swing is a little more fluid then I remember. Looks like your putting in some work. Now I want you to look at the face front video and watch your practice swing in the beginning of the video. Watch how well you extend down the line and swing to your left side. It's a thing of beauty.

Now watch the rest of the swing and how that fluid motion became a hit motion. Hips stopped, arms continue and balance was lost. This is what we call a controlled move and while it's straight, it's also devoid of real power.

The length of the swing is longer than I'd like and that is due to the lack of shoulder turn. You're using all arms to generate your power so it is way past parallel. The extra length in the swing is disrupting your timing and this why you're hitting at the ball instead of swinging through. The extra length in the swing is getting you out of position on the down swing so the hips have to stop so the arms can pass by. This why you're off balance and inconsistent.

The shoulders are the engine driving the swing. They turn and the arms swing. Not the other way around. Place the butt of your club into your sternum and grip down the club until the arms are straight. Turn the shoulders and swing the arms until you are short of or at parallel. Swing the arms back down into position placing the butt of the club back into the sternum and onto your finish.

The object is to shorten the swing, use the shoulders and arms in proper sequence and keep the club in front of you. You can do this in the house in front of a mirror to see what it looks like. Try this and let me know how it works.

Dang Johnny......Now I understand why that driver shaft was so short!:eyepoke::friends:

Dang Johnny......Now I understand why that driver shaft was so short!:eyepoke::friends:

I know right! The only reason I'm taller than the golf cart is. Because I'm on an elevated tee box!

JM

Thanks for the thoughts Freddie!

Regarding the the practice swing, I agree. I picked up a tip a while ago about finishing high with my left elbow pointing down the line. It seems I have learned how to do that in my practice swings but still stop short on my full swings. When I fall into bad habits, it can usually be traced back to the turn in either the hips or as you have noted the shoulders. I felt like my hip turn was not good as I noted in my post earlier today and c.a.eleric had observed. I went to the range today with 3 drivers and a goal of turning THROUGH the ball and taking what could be called a 1/2 swing. All of this was before I saw your comments. Here's what I found:

If I imagined I was in a swing jacket of sorts that kept my arms more locked into my body, I made good contact, but ONLY when I turned through the ball. Stop turning and hit a weak fade. This makes your sternum drill make so much sense!

My grip pressure is CAUSING some of the controlled swing. It's too tense! At the end of today's session, my left thumb had a worn spot. I almost never get these, and that tells me I'm pressing with my left thumb too much which is causing tension.

If I think RELEASE and I make a conscious effort to start my hips BEFORE my hands on the downswing, then I can hit hooks. I NEVER hit hooks, so I should be able to learn how to control this or at least hit straight shots right? The difference in distance was impressive compared to my regular shot shape. Standing tall and bending at the waist helps this too. I might be crouching or squatting too much sometimes.

Finally, I may have started taking the club too much inside on the way back. Today, when I took the club back on a straight line while turning my hips properly and then on the downswing coming from INSIDE THE BACKSWING LINE, is when I had my best results. I think this is an inside to outside swing and what we are all after. In the final analysis, it didn't matter which driver I used if I put the proper move on the ball.

There is a lot of work to do and I will get JHoll to take some more video tomorrow when we are on the course. Hopefully, I can make some of the swings I did on the range today. This is the beginning of my effort to #ChangeTheGame for 2016. Really appreciate the help man! More to come.......

JM

Great day on the course today! Tee game was solid with no tops, duffs or dribblers. Yesterday's range work (see above) and some time in front of a mirror last night practicing Freddie's Sternum drill really helped. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right, but I did it in ultra slow motion focusing on positions. When the butt end of the club came disconnected from my sternum, I paused and started coming back down.

What I found on the course today was, for the most part much better ball striking. Shot some video which I still need to get downloaded, and posted. My swings and contact were much more consistent. On the back, I started pulling or pull drawing the ball. I think I was getting tired from the range yesterday, because at the end of the day I could feel myself not getting the club coming from the inside on the downswing and I know my hips were slower. There is still some HIT in the swing, but overall made great strides since Friday.

Thanks Panda!

JM

These swings are from Sunday. Still a lot of "hit" in the move, but it's getting a little better. #10 was a bad enough pull that I had a shot! You can see how OTT I was though. #13 was medium trajectory fade to center of the fairway.

[video=youtube_share;8Q-kbCStIN8]http://youtu.be/8Q-kbCStIN8[/video]

Big thanks again to Jim (JHoll) for taking the videos!

Hey JM, it's interesting how different your practice swing and actual swing are. I'm sure I have a similar look between the two as well. Once that ball becomes the focus that smooth relaxed practice swing goes right out the window.

Hey JM, it's interesting how different your practice swing and actual swing are. I'm sure I have a similar look between the two as well. Once that ball becomes the focus that smooth relaxed practice swing goes right out the window.

Thanks and I know! Freddie was saying how fluid it is until I go and address the ball and then I get more "hit" in there. It's a work in progress to be sure. Every once in a while I can put a smooth one on the ball and the distance increases and the shape changes and all is right with the world. It is getting it to be second nature that's the issue :)

Fun game ehh?

JM

Thanks and I know! Freddie was saying how fluid it is until I go and address the ball and then I get more "hit" in there. It's a work in progress to be sure. Every once in a while I can put a smooth one on the ball and the distance increases and the shape changes and all is right with the world. It is getting it to be second nature that's the issue :)

Fun game ehh?

JM

Practice swing typically don't start from a static position but with some movement so they look good. The trick is to find a trigger in the static position. Some use a slight forward press or even line the club head up away from the ball. Find that trigger and you'll do way with the hit parade

These swings are from Sunday. Still a lot of "hit" in the move, but it's getting a little better. #10 was a bad enough pull that I had a shot! You can see how OTT I was though. #13 was medium trajectory fade to center of the fairway.

[video=youtube_share;8Q-kbCStIN8]http://youtu.be/8Q-kbCStIN8[/video]

Big thanks again to Jim (JHoll) for taking the videos!

Swing to your finish! You are still trying to control the path of that club. As a result you have a sawed off finish

Thanks buddy! I'll try to have some more for you tomorrow. Front coming in and we are gonna try to beat the rain!

JM

Was swinging better today. Despite the rain and soggy conditions, I was hitting the ball farther on many holes. I tried to come up with a trigger that would help. Basically, I have developed a little bump I make with sole of the club that is working. I am also lining up with the ball out closer to the toe of the driver ( not too much ) and concentrating on trying to swing from the inside and then down the line to my finish.

Had a much more penetrating flight and the sound off the face was SO much better. Like I made a move on at ball!

#Happy!

JM

First, if you want to shorten your backswing try limiting your hip turn. I saw your video and you have more than you need. Limiting your backswing hip turn will act like a governor and limit your backswing.

Second problem I see is you tend to collapse your left arm adding to the overswing. For some reason someone came up with the idea of keeping your right elbow tucked in close to your body. When you tuck your right elbow it pulls in your right hand bending your left arm! You want to keep your right elbow extended and away from your body; this pushes and helps keep the left arm straight while giving structure to the triangle assembly (left arm, right arm, shoulders).

Back