Putter Fitter Suggested .5 Degrees of Loft?!

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
Does this sound crazy... .5 degrees of loft? Club Champion and their fancy analyzer thingy tells me .5 degrees of loft. They set their indoor setting to roll at 11 which is faster than my normal dog track munis and mid level public courses.

anyone else get this feedback and disregard and stick what’s in their bag?

Does this sound crazy... .5 degrees of loft? Club Champion and their fancy analyzer thingy tells me .5 degrees of loft. They set their indoor setting to roll at 11 which is faster than my normal dog track munis and mid level public courses.

anyone else get this feedback and disregard and stick what’s in their bag?

Only way to find out if they're right is by trying the recommended specs.
I play with a 4* loft putter.

If you flip at impact and add loft that 0.5 could put you at 4 of true loft. That could be what they suggested.

Same reason why they make the arm lock and people who forward press lofts at 7 or 8 degrees because when they press it forward they're changing it to 4 degrees.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wouldnt get too concerned with the static loft. The fitter should have explained why to you, but I'm guessing you add loft at impact somehow with your stroke.

The fitting that was done for us at Ping suggested a 3° or so +/- loft (I can't remember which way) for me, too, but I don't think it's all that accurate since I wasn't putting with my putter and there isn't really a putter available out there that'll come close to the specs of my putter (at least I know there wasn't in that Ping lab). I was excited to be fit, but kind of let down that the info wasn't really usable. The fitting on the range with the irons, on the other hand, was very valuable. I've already picked up a new set of GI heads and some PX LZ 6.0 shafts to build a new set. Gotta get to single digits somehow. If that means giving up my blades, then so be it.

The fitting that was done for us at Ping suggested a 3° or so +/- loft (I can't remember which way) for me, too, but I don't think it's all that accurate since I wasn't putting with my putter and there isn't really a putter available out there that'll come close to the specs of my putter (at least I know there wasn't in that Ping lab). I was excited to be fit, but kind of let down that the info wasn't really usable. The fitting on the range with the irons, on the other hand, was very valuable. I've already picked up a new set of GI heads and some PX LZ 6.0 shafts to build a new set. Gotta get to single digits somehow. If that means giving up my blades, then so be it.
Did you try the setup recommended to know if it works or not? If not, how do you know it wouldn't work?

Did you try the setup recommended to know if it works or not? If not, how do you know it wouldn't work?

Personal preference. My putter weighs ~800g. The putter I did the fitting with probably weighed a bit over 1/2 that. Kinda felt like I was swinging a broomstick with nothing on it. Oh, and there's the issue of the money to buy that putter. If someone is willing to drop one in the mail, I'll game it for a couple rounds and some practice time to give it a shot, but it's not worth the investment to me since I love the feel of my sledgehammer.

Personal preference. My putter weighs ~800g. The putter I did the fitting with probably weighed a bit over 1/2 that. Kinda felt like I was swinging a broomstick with nothing on it. Oh, and there's the issue of the money to buy that putter. If someone is willing to drop one in the mail, I'll game it for a couple rounds and some practice time to give it a shot, but it's not worth the investment to me since I love the feel of my sledgehammer.
Just interesting to me to totally write it off as nonsense without trying, particularly with PING's fitting process being one of the best around. But preference surely matters, just interesting is all.

It seems like if you pay for a high end fitting, and ignore the results, what’s the point of doing it in the first place? You can always bend it back.

Just interesting to me to totally write it off as nonsense without trying, particularly with PING's fitting process being one of the best around. But preference surely matters, just interesting is all.

Oh, I didn't say it was nonsense. Just don't think it was all that usable. The putter, moreso than all other clubs, is about feel. If it doesn't feel right, then I don't think I'd get good results with it. Now, if they had a way to put a putter in my hands that had a headweight relatively close to the ~550g that my putter has, I would be very interested in the results.

My numbers at the Ping fitting studio said that my putter should be 1* of loft. So I can see the number being correct. I'm interested to see if makes any difference. I think it would, I mean it makes sense.
So I'm going to ask Titleist if they can make my Scotty go from 4* to 1* Or if I order another one, can they make it 1*

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My numbers at the Ping fitting studio said that my putter should be 1* of loft. So I can see the number being correct. I'm interested to see if makes any difference. I think it would, I mean it makes sense.
So I'm going to ask Titleist if they can make my Scotty go from 4* to 1* Or if I order another one, can they make it 1*

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's awesome. I'd think you'd be able to find a clubmaker in the area that could make short work of bending a putter.

For what it’s worth they took a degree off for me when I got fit and I think it helped.

I don't know what loft I have on my putter, but I did a putter fitting and was told to go from a 34" putter (I felt 33" was too short) to a 31" putter. I thought it was crazy, but it changed my setup and my putting improved quite a bit.

It could be crazy, but if you add loft getting it to .5* static loft could help you deliver it at a better loft at impact.

I have seen people put in 1* or 1.5* and it seemed to work for them.

Had my fitter send me the full SAM report:

FACE AIM: OPEN 0.2 DEGREES
ROTATION AT IMPACT: 46.2 DEGREES/SECOND
ROTATION AGAINST PATH: 5.5 DEGREES CLOSING
LIE ANGLE: 1.2 DEGREES TOE UP

SHAFT AT IMPACT: 1.5 DEGREES ADDED LOFT
PUTTER LOFT REC: .5 DEGREES
DYNAMIC LOFT: 2 DEGREES

LAUNCH: 1.9 DEGREES UP
RISE AT IMPACT: 1.5 DEGREES UPWARD

FITTING RESULTS

DESIGN: BLADE
HEAD BALANCE: 60 DEGREES TOE HANG
LOFT: .5 DEGREES
LIE: 71

So, if I jump in at .5 degrees I can still bend and add more loft after the fact? I just want to make sure it is not an irreversible process. I am looking at the PXG Bat Attack, I know I can bend my forged putters all day but am curious about these new spaceship things.

Had my fitter send me the full SAM report:

FACE AIM: OPEN 0.2 DEGREES
ROTATION AT IMPACT: 46.2 DEGREES/SECOND
ROTATION AGAINST PATH: 5.5 DEGREES CLOSING
LIE ANGLE: 1.2 DEGREES TOE UP

SHAFT AT IMPACT: 1.5 DEGREES ADDED LOFT
PUTTER LOFT REC: .5 DEGREES
DYNAMIC LOFT: 2 DEGREES

LAUNCH: 1.9 DEGREES UP
RISE AT IMPACT: 1.5 DEGREES UPWARD

FITTING RESULTS

DESIGN: BLADE
HEAD BALANCE: 60 DEGREES TOE HANG
LOFT: .5 DEGREES
LIE: 71

So, if I jump in at .5 degrees I can still bend and add more loft after the fact? I just want to make sure it is not an irreversible process. I am looking at the PXG Bat Attack, I know I can bend my forged putters all day but am curious about these new spaceship things.

Were you fitted with the Bat Attack on the Sam?

I've played 1 and 2 degrees of loft without problems - less skid, more roll. I don't use a forward press and just set up neutral. My current putter is 2.5 degrees - great roll.

Were you fitted with the Bat Attack on the Sam?

I've played 1 and 2 degrees of loft without problems - less skid, more roll. I don't use a forward press and just set up neutral. My current putter is 2.5 degrees - great roll.

Yes, but they only had a 35 inch and so it was an odd experience. I have a touch of forward press, but not much.

Yes, but they only had a 35 inch and so it was an odd experience. I have a touch of forward press, but not much.

I usually get a 34.5-35 inch putter and just grip down - the grip above my hands act like a counterweight, which helps me. You just need to make sure the lie angle is fit for you.

Was 35" the fitter's recommended length for you ?

no... I'm 5'7, I play a 33"

So, my question is why didn't the fitter have a 33" putter (or at least a range of shaft lengths) for you to try during your fitting ?

So, my question is why didn't the fitter have a 33" putter (or at least a range of shaft lengths) for you to try during your fitting ?

That's a good question... they didn't have the Bat Attack in 33, they had me hit a bunch of other mallets that were similar in 33 inches but their stock in PXG was super small.

I was fitted to -3.7* of loft. I've never looked back. It's been a game changer for me this year. Print has been incredible. Go with the recommendation. Trust it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's a good question... they didn't have the Bat Attack in 33, they had me hit a bunch of other mallets that were similar in 33 inches but their stock in PXG was super small.

Well, he can cut it down if the lie angle works for you and it's the right headweight after cutting - lots of "ifs".

OP, have your previous putters also been 33” stock length or have you ordered a 34 or 35” and had it cut down? If you’ve cut down a putter before from 34” or 35” then you shouldn’t have a problem with the new loft because you’ll be used to it. Also I’m guessing you use SBST stroke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back