In casual rounds, do you pay attention to the scores of others?

I always pay attention to the scores of the people I am playing with so I can give them credit for solid holes.

That said, if they are struggling I'll make it a hole to hole counter so to speak. We all have our off days.

I'll typically know if someone is putting for birdie or par and will congratulate them. I do have a golf buddy I pay particular close attention to, because he has a tendency to forget strokes, fluff lies, "take a breakfast ball" on the 8th and 12th holes when he hit it OB, rake 6 footers back, etc. He's "playing off a 10."

Nah, but I do notice if a player is doing very well or very badly, average scores I have no concern with.

I don't really pay attention. I accept scores given if I am running the scoring. More than that, no.

Obviously I keep my score.

In our little group, yes- we all know what each other shoots. But the majority of my golf is as a single. While I don't care what anyone else shoots as long as they keep up, I am aware of certain situations. If they're putting for par (or better), maybe how many pars in a row streak the guy might be on and stuff like that. Take a little interest to be sociable and let them know you aren't just a robot who doesn't care about others. While some of the time it's ready golf on the tee based on drive length potential, knowing when they (or I) might have the honor also lets them know you're paying attention. Last week, a gentleman who wasn't playing the greatest round he's capable of, finally scrambled his way to a miraculous par about the 13th hole.(He had been batting cleanup since the second hole) Rest of us managed bogeys or worse. At the next tee, I did the "Your honor, Your Honor..." thing and he seemed surprised that I realized what was up.

Only to accuse them of cheating if they are beating me.

Back