In casual rounds, do you pay attention to the scores of others?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I keep my own score and I never pay attention to what anyone else scores. I may (or not) know they are ptting for bird and may or may not know they are putting for par. But overall I really have no clue how well they are doing round wise and often may not realize they just got a par. I just congradulate a good shot and a good putt regardless. But i find it amazing just how many peiple know that i may be putting for par or bird. I just find that strange that they are paying attention to that.

I mean no harm here at all and not a bad thing but its strange to me because I often dont realize what another is scoring. Basically its not my bisiness nor for me to wrorry about. Ill say "great putt" but then Ill say afterwards only because it was mentioned "oh, was that for bird?" ,,,"cool" and then congratz again.

But im often guilty of not knowing. Mostly i really care about my own play. Dont get me wrong Im always liking to see the others make good shots and routing for playing mates and am very complimentry when they do. But i just dont bother to add things up nor tae much notice what they are scoring.

Is that bad? I dont think so. But Id also then ask whwy am i suppose to know what they are scoring. It has no affect on me and my game other than seeing and routing for them to make a good play. But thats it and where it ends.And I certainly dont know where one is at for total of the round. But Ive seen people even have real good idea what another person shot and sometimes that other person is me. The round may end and sometime speople may talk of the round and i find it amazing that once in a while another knows my score to within even a few strokes. Thats pretty amazing to me cause i will have no freaking idea what they shot. But then i also think why in the world do they even have a close o=idea what i did. I dont know ....just funny i guess is all.

I should add that this pertains to playing with mostly strangers or those you might know a little but yet are eeping seperate score cards. Friends togather and using the same card of cours is a different thing.

I dont go out of my way to track another's score in a casual round, but its not hard to keep track without even trying to.
If it's a round with friends usually one guy will keep score for everyone.

I don't pay much attention most of the time. I'll even refrain from telling someone "good putt" unless it goes in the hole. I have no idea what their expectations are and even though it looked like a good putt to me, it might have fallen short of their expectations. I hate it when I hit a putt and leave it well short or run it way past and someone tells me it was a good putt. I mean, that's a bit condescending.

It's been my experience that in a casual round most players do not pay much attention to the scores of other players. That doesn't mean they don't have a 'sense' of what others are scoring. It just doesn't go beyond that.

The one exception is when playing with someone who scores considerably better than the people you usually have in your foursome. I've seen many times when other players pay VERY CLOSE attention to that player's score on every hole.

I'll say "nice shot," or something like that, but other than knowing someone is hitting the ball really nice, I don't know their score. I won't jinx them either by saying during the round, something like "you're really hitting the ball great today," because once those words are uttered, a great round can go straight to the toilet! I've seen it happen.

Use to but don't any more. Heck, I don't even keep score for my own game any more. It's just not important to me. The only thing I keep score of is how much enjoyment I got from playing with my foursome.

Usually just mine and whoever is in the cart with me. Always seem to miss a hole here and there from the people in the other cart and I have to figure out where I forgot.

I do not. Just worry about my own.

Not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll occasionally notice a par or a birdie, but for the most part I don’t track anyone else’s score. In my work league I don’t even track the other 3 golfers scores if I’m not the marker. I’ll track my son’s scores during our rounds using The Grint, but most of the time we just check it after the fact anyway.

I’m usually more focused on my round but i will always acknowledge good holes with “nice par” or “great birdie” of others and if I’m driving I’ll manage the scorecard of my partner unless they use their own for more extensive tracking. I also won’t give them their front 9 score unless they ask, as some people I play with don’t want to know for some reason.

I typically won't keep track but it's funny how my brain will clue into the random number that seems off to me.

And waddaya know? 90% of the time in that infrequent instance, their score is wrong. Strangely enough, they always seem to have it as lower for some odd reason.

I usually know if someone is shooting well I'm playing with.

Depends who I'm playing with. Some of the THPers I regularly play with, I'll have a good idea of what they're shooting whether or not I'm playing a match. Randos? I don't pay attention to them at all.

Yep, but its habit as a coach.

Having played college golf and as a pro, I always felt it was my job to know everyone’s score. There was a time I could replay every shot hit by every person in the group. Today not so much.

I watched my dad do this as a kid and it stuck with me.

Having played college golf and as a pro, I always felt it was my job to know everyone’s score. There was a time I could replay every shot hit by every person in the group. Today not so much.

I watched my dad do this as a kid and it stuck with me.

Gotta admit that is really cool. I can replay the round in my head after but your ability is next level. Makes sense given your history but I never really thought about needing that ability.

Gotta admit that is really cool. I can replay the round in my head after but your ability is next level. Makes sense given your history but I never really thought about needing that ability.

I didn’t either, it just happened. It came in handy when I got my Class A PGA card. One of the guys in my group pencil whipped his card with his cart mate. I had to recall every shot on every hole for 36 holes. I did this while shooting scored to earn my card.

I didn’t either, it just happened. It came in handy when I got my Class A PGA card. One of the guys in my group pencil whipped his card with his cart mate. I had to recall every shot on every hole for 36 holes. I did this while shooting scored to earn my card.

Really, really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Unless I'm keeping score for everyone, I don't really pay attention unless it's for birdie or something. If keeping score, I don't want to be the "What did you get there?" on every blessed hole...that's just annoying.

Sometimes I don’t even know what I’m shooting, I just try my best to have a good time, and my partners hopefully enjoying themselves as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most people know when you are shooting for birdie or par...

Its not hard to count to 3,4 or 5 :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I did when I was younger and playing competitive golf. I don’t anymore but I certainly have an idea if one of my buddies is shooting 83 vs. 93. Since I was about 14, I’ve never had to keep my score on a card, I always know exactly where I am in relation to par and how many putts and GIR I’ve had that day. I can easily replay every shot of my round in my head and often do when driving home after a round.

like many here, I don't do it deliberately, but generally have a pretty good idea on any specific hole and can often replay not just my round but theirs in my head...not because I am following their score, but because when planning my walk to my next ball making sure I am not crossing their line or anything, I know how many times they have hit it. I may miss the occasional foot wedge or chunk chip...but honestly, I generally hit a longer tee shot than the majority of people I get matched up with so knowing where they are is actually key to playing ready golf. Nothing intentional, it just happens.

I usually have an idea of where my buddies are at throughout the round but rarely know the exact score. If it's during a tournament or event I pay a lot more attention though.

Back