feet of putts made - does anyone track this?

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I always find the tour stat of Feet of Putts made very interesting. Seeing as how strokes gained has worked its way into the recreational game with apps, I am surprised I hear nothing about this specific stat. I think I will start tracking it on my card for a bit; I am curious how embarrassing my number really is.

I don't - but I should according to my instructor.

I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at estimating lengths...

No because it would be too depressing with my lack of putting prowess.

No just strokes gained for me. If game golf had an easy way to download raw csv you could get a bunch of cool stats like that.

My number would likely be around 40 feet for the round. That's not saying I'm sticking everything close, I just rarely make more than 1 or 2 putts in a round it seems.

I walk off the vast majority of my first putts and once in a while if I run one very far past the hole, I'll walk off a 2nd putt. I could track it, but never have. I wish the GolfPad app was a little more accurate, then I'd use it more on the greens to track that stuff.

My number would likely be around 40 feet for the round. That's not saying I'm sticking everything close, I just rarely make more than 1 or 2 putts in a round it seems.

I make 18 putts each round, but that's because I putt out everything. :clown:

I make 18 putts each round, but that's because I putt out everything. :clown:
No comment.
942a73b9c653ba51734d9f80e38fdbd0.gif

I’ve tried but doubt I could get the distances right so usually stop after a hole or two. After a made putt, it wasn’t on my mind before I would walk the one or two steps to the hole. If I drained a 20+ footer I would be just excited to make it and would forget to walk it off.

feet of putts made - does anyone track this?

I only recently started paying attention to total feet putts made. Keep it with putts per round and you’ve got a good gauge of where you are. Pros do around 28 putts and 80 feet made, with the average putt made around 4 feet (just divide total feet made by 18). That’s a solid benchmark. If you can do 15 putts or less per side and sink 2 or 3 midrange putts per side it’s attainable.

On a good day (not an average one) I can approach 80. My last round was pretty good... an even par 72 with 78 feet of putts made. 30 putts total. I lit up the first side with 12 putts and 60 feet made. The second side was abysmal... 18 putts, 2 3jacks, and only 18 feet total made. haha and i was so confident going into the turn!

So on a good day I can almost putt as well as a pro on his average day. Pros on a hot day will make an unbelievable 150-200 feet of putts!!!! Wow.

Just freaking wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always find the tour stat of Feet of Putts made very interesting. Seeing as how strokes gained has worked its way into the recreational game with apps, I am surprised I hear nothing about this specific stat. I think I will start tracking it on my card for a bit; I am curious how embarrassing my number really is.

If you want to embarrass yourself, track missed feet of putts per round.

This is another stat that can be somewhat misleading. Don't get me wrong, the PGA Tour players are really good putters, and that's my point. They are probably better putters than a comparison of feet of putts made would indicate.

Here's what I am thinking.

At 27 putts per round, this means they on average 1-putt 9 holes and 2-putt 9 holes. But because they are better than the rest of us at hitting approach shots their first putt is much closer to the hole. They are also better at lag putting than the rest of us. So those putts they are taking tend to be much closer to the hole than ours. Under those conditions 80 feet of made putts per round is even more impressive.

How do you guys measure distance for putt? I’m not seeing a lot of people on the course with their measuring tape haha. I’m genuinely curious, not trying to sound like a smart arse

17.5ft in general !

How do you guys measure distance for putt? I’m not seeing a lot of people on the course with their measuring tape haha. I’m genuinely curious, not trying to sound like a smart arse

My foot is about one foot (!!!!) long. So i take small steps about the length of my foot for a 2 foot pace. I laser long ones from time to time.

When I was better about tracking stats, I didn't do feet made, but I separated putts into short/medium/long - short was basically 5 feet and in, stuff I think I should have a good chance to make. Middle was putts that were < 50/50, but you tried to make, and long putts were putts that the first thing I thought was lagging. Not scientific, but It was good enough to give me an idea of how I was doing in terms of lag putting, making longer putts, etc.

I don’t but I think if you do Strokes gained it gives you something similar to this idea though.

I need to do this to really dial in my putting

I've never tracked this but now I'm really curious about it. I'm kind of afraid of how pathetic the number is going to be, I don't make a lot of long putts and get a lot of tap ins.

If there were a quick, easy, and relatively accurate way to do this, I'd love to know the numbers. I tried tracking the length of putts in the 18Birdies app to try the strokes gained feature but it slowed me down and that's not good for anyone playing with or behind me.

Shot even par today. 53 feet of putts made. Monday i posted -1 with 64 feet made.

This is a stat that I really want to start keeping. I feel like it would be a solid way to track overall putting.

I walk off ~18 putts each round. Yeah, once in a while, I'll hit one close and not need to walk it off, but for every one of those, I probably blow one far enough past to need to walk it off... maybe, not, but close.

Anyway, I figure my pace is ~3' and just do the math. It's not exact, but it gets me in the ballpark enough to know if I'm closer to 30' or 45'. Probably not gonna be able to differentiate between 30' and 32', but I can't putt that precisely anyway.

Played 9 today. Shot -2 34, with 15 putts and 31 feet made. Didn’t make anything long but didn’t miss any short putts either.

I don't - but I should according to my instructor.

I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at estimating lengths...

No need to estimate. Just walk off all your putts.

PGA Tour average is about 74' made per round. I have tracked it in the past and unfortunately I only averaged about 40-45 feet made per round and I'm sure I've had many years when it was worse than that. Putting is the weakest part of my game.

Back