Any "preppers" here?

Northerner

Reaction score
If the electrical grid goes down it is predicted that 90% of US population will die within the
first year and here is why.

Americans are the worst prepared disaster folks in the world
With all vehicle computers knocked out the grid lock of cars and trucks and RV's will not permit any movement anywhere.
Cell phone systems knock out even those in faraday sheds/metal garbage cans still useless
All pumps gas,toilet, water, sanitation, wells, dams, heat pumps, nuclear plant pumps etc. knocked out
NO showers ( unless gravity solar) No flushing toilets ( unless rain water or tube full for a while) No running anything
( unless a fuelless generator with solar and a full tank of gas to generatate power to generator ( a crank type also may help)
In high rises no elevator , Waste will be thrown out broken windows and pile on sidewalks and cars below ( thousands of pounds of poop)
NO food available unless bardered . No delivery systems including FEMA and RED Cross. (Some chopper drops but few) no planes. except vintage aircraft without computer assisted controls., but no towers no lights once generators ( gas are empty) on runways.
No money exchange No banks No ATMs No operational public restrooms. No laundry, No garbage pick up . No body removal
(OH! don' go in their!!! (Mass cremation or pits ,but bulldozer help or front end loaders to bury millions)
Hospitals, Nursing homes unstaffed and patients dying quickly. No means of care including homecare , medications and most
facilities of care locked down. Most ventilator patients including neonates will die quickly as no bulk gas will be depleated and back up manifolds
of Htanksand E tanks will be empty with zero hope of replacement. Anoneonlife support , renal dialysis , overdoses will die .
Need to protect whatever food or supplies including pet food with many rounds of ammo 9mm pistols hollow points and shotguns recommended or looters will kill you without warning and desperation.
You will not get assistance from anyone unless you formed a network of prepper neighbors as suggested by FEMA.

The grid is vunerable even worldwide via a sun flare ,but if a enemy source can enter the Gulf undetected under a false flag
they could fire two warheads in an atmospheric blast to mimic a EMP one over lets say Kanas and one over Nevada.
The answer to survival rests in preparation ,but that is not going to happen and America will be a waste land for take over
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]by foreign powers because we are complacent, albeit too affluent.[/FONT]

Well that would be a crappy way to go.

I bet you’re a fun guy to hang around...

I don’t stockpile food/water like some might.

But I do have a means of getting food/water without the need of electricity.
And I have plenty of guns/ammo to last awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow .. talk about negative.. I doubt that's true though ... A year is a long time and after the "riots" things would settle down

But seriously ... Is it likely to happen??

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

:laughing:

Darwinism finally comes to the 21st Century.

I’m not a prepper but my father-in-law is. He has fuel tanks, solar, multiple generators, airplane, airstrip, food, water, 20,000 rounds of ammo, etc.

The trick would be getting to him as he is in Montana. He says he could fly to pick us up at a local airstrip but let’s hope it never comes to that.

I think Canada would come and save us.

I cut and paste all that in the OP. It's not even my words.

Just thought it's an interesting discussion piece.

Though it is something I've thought of at times.

I'll be fine.

A ...EMP Attack Would Kill “90% of all Americans”
"It is critical, therefore, that the U.S. national leadership address the EMP threat as a critical and existential issue."

https://futurism.com/congressional-report-a-north-korean-emp-attack-would-kill-90-of-all-americans

But is such a large EMP a plausible fear? Peter Pry, director of a bipartisan congressional commission called the EMP Task force, seems to think so. He went on Fox News this week to say that "nine out of ten Americans could die from starvation, disease, and societal collapse, if the blackout lasted a year." Pry isn't the only one worried: In a letter to investors last year, billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Singer warned that EMPs are now the "most significant threat" to American security.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-scared-the-us-should-be-of-an-emp-attack-508

Might as well be living in Puerto Rico.

Why does it always have to be us here in Kansas, no one likes are boring state. :laughing:

I would be toast within a week!

So with no electricity..... my new electric fireplace wouldn't be able to heat my home.... dammit.

I have enough guns and ammo at this point that I am pretty sure I would do fine for a bit.

I think it’s a very interesting question. History is filled with countless periods societal collapse, chaos and starvation. Another question is whether living in the most prosperious country during the most stable period in history be enough to keep it from happening in our lifetime?

I think it’s a very interesting question. History is filled with countless periods societal collapse, chaos and starvation. Another question is whether living in the most prosperious country during the most stable period in history be enough to keep it from happening in our lifetime?

Everyone likes to think it won't, but some people just have to keep trying to light that fuse. Emboldened morons won't realize they've pushed too far until its too late to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

I've seen the walking dead a handful of times, I think I'm good to go.

I have guns and ammo I think I’m good .

The zombies will just be millennials trying to imagine their phones work again. Seems like legit prepping there.

Seriously though, I've got a lot more things to worry about on my list that are in front of an EMP blast....like the Nuke that might deliver it or a world-wide, human engineered epidemic with a high spread and kill rate, just to name a few apocalyptic scenarios.

I think Canada would come and save us.

You really think I'm going to ride south of the boarder on my moose? HA!

My wife watches that show, but I just can't, so many holes. I'm going to go into this boarded up building with a gun with no sights, without back up and no overwatch. They can't start a lawnmower with old gas from the previous fall and they've got motor homes running around all over the place? Then that stupid kid with that stupid hat. They should have killed him off years ago.

You really think I'm going to ride south of the boarder on my moose? HA!
I was hoping for a grizzly....

It doesn't take an EMP blast. Unfortunately, the "social fabric" is so threadbare that the loss of the normal services, even for a few hours, is enough to "cause" some to do harm. Heck, all you need is a team losing or for that matter winning the NBA playoffs or SuperBowl to set off a riot.

To answer the OP:
Upside: We live the Cali dream of having high concrete walls and a gate. We have quite a bit of food stored not because of any planning (can you say Costco?), a means to cook it and we have a water source.

Downside: The last census says that we have around one million neighbors...

Back