THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

yeah, three was just an arbitrary number. I may not have phrased the question perfectly, so let me give you a real world example.

I'll be playing a round with Tadashi in a couple weeks. I think he has said recently he's about a 3 or so, although from what I understand he was at or about scratch not so long ago. If I were to say to him, before our round. Hey, let's play straight up for XXX stakes, now I would never say something like $500, that'd be crazy talk. But maybe dinner after the round, or drinks something just to have something on the line. Would he be intriqued by that, or would he say..."really what's the point?" Not so much Tadashi saying that but any given scratch or near scratch.

Just something I wonder about. I know on any given day, his worst round is likely to be no higher than 85 say, and my best might 85. ....So you're saying there's a chance :bashful:

edit: Not wanting to throw this thread into a HC discussion, so no need to really answer. Just explaining to Captain Ron, that generally I'm game to play any of them Carolina boys...straight up....(as my potential teammates roll there heads in disgust...ha)

Its an interesting discussion and plays into Ron's questions on getting/giving pops. IMO there is a point where playing straight up isn't fair to the higher cap. Pro in your case you would normally get about a stroke a hole against Freddie. Like most high cappers you are going to par some holes and bogey some but will have probably a handful of holes you double or higher. Giving up that many strokes IMO doesn't make sense when something is on the line whether a bet or competition of some sort. It's possible that it's a fair match with strokes because your par and Freddie's par puts you in the win column on a hole. Your bogey in Freddie's par is a push. Someone like Freddie could easily throw 6-7 birdies up on you and you would have to par those same 6 holes. Straight up I don't think it's even close and I probably wouldn't take a straight up match with someone I would give up a stroke a hole to

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Nothing stings more than pushing a hole with a natural birdie to a popping birdie. And when it happens a coupe times in a round it really starts to mess with your mind. It has me in the past.

However I've been down a bunch before and fought back Ike nobodies business (down 5 with 11 to go and giving 3 pops on the back)on the biggest stage I've ever been on, against a now 5 time THP HOFer. And once you get that momentum rolling it's a lot of fun. It was exhausting and draining to stay in it for that long. But standing on 18 tee a/s was a good feeing. Never give up!

This event is going to be awesome! winning and losing aside, there really a certain thing that occurs at team events here, some find bonding and making friends for life, some find a level of intensity they've never experienced that they carry on in their everyday lives afterwards, but one thing's for sure, It's freaking fantastic!

I challenge all of us to get out and play with each other more often and build memories for a life time.

This event is going to be awesome! winning and losing aside, there really a certain thing that occurs at team events here, some find bonding and making friends for life, some find a level of intensity they've never experienced that they carry on in their everyday lives afterwards, but one thing's for sure, It's freaking fantastic!

I challenge all of us to get out and play with each other more often and build memories for a life time.
Couldn't have said it better.
Whether I play in this thing or not to represent the DMV, I have already met some fantastic guys to keep playing this game that we love for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Amen.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Trouter, I hope like hell you're in this thing! It's been to damn long buddy.

Love it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Trouter, I hope like hell you're in this thing! It's been to damn long buddy.
I hope he and I are both. Hs keeps avoiding me when he comes to Maryland.

Must be scurred

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Must be scurred

Shameless self plug

Must be scurred

If you're scared, say you're scared! :banana:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so damn true. Already have some lifelong friends because of this place.

If you can remove the sexual overtones in that, then Romeo I'll be your Juliet. LOL

Love the team environment and competition atmosphere... just does something for you and those you're "in the trenches" with.

Great guys here in THP... a family environment... golfing brotherhood. Love this place.

PS - even though we're one big family and brothers all around, DMV is still winning in July. :D

If you can remove the sexual overtones in that, then Romeo I'll be your Juliet. LOL

Love the team environment and competition atmosphere... just does something for you and those you're "in the trenches" with.

Great guys here in THP... a family environment... golfing brotherhood. Love this place.

PS - even though we're one big family and brothers all around, DMV is still winning in July. :D

Ha! not a chance Juliet!

Team events really are the way to go.

Looking forward to my practice round Sunday with G$$$ and cnosil at RNK. Going to be fun times, course will be a little wet for us but not to bad. I will make sure to give updates in the live thread and try and grab some pics too.

As long as we don't go to street car named desire! And I don't want to hear yo Adrian on the first tee either.

Man I'm excited for July to come.

Man I'm excited for July to come.

Don't wish your life away and miss out on all the other great goings on in between!

Don't wish your life away and miss out on all the other great goings on in between!

For sure, I'm planning to make some local outings and my practice for this year is in full effect. I don't plan to miss much between here and now.

Just wish winter would breeze through quickly....

Wow, go to work for the day and you end up way behind in this thread. Really need to convince my company to allow camera phones in the office so I can at least take a peek at what is going on. Anyway, question for the day was about handicap strokes:

Curious what all you guys feel about giving or receiving pops? It is really just part of the game and designed to try and make things even. If it were only that simple; unfortunately many people take advantage of the handicap system simply to try and win events. That really isn't my style and typically why I avoid handicap based events. And yes, I have been accused of being a sandbagger and received a sandbagging penalty in my companies golf league. The penalty came in my first season playing in the league after I had taken lessons.

How do you deal with giving them to a person or a team? I typically have to give strokes. I have a buddy that I play a couple of times a year that I give 3 a side too and when I play with my weekend group I give up 0-5 a side. My golf league is handicap based and i have learned to just play my game and not worry about how my opponents are playing. I honestly thing the handicap system favors a 10-15 cap because that was the point where my scores varied widely, I could shoot low or shoot high which made me dangerous. As a single digit, statistically I am probably more likely to shoot above my cap instead of below.

Do you approach a hole any different if you are giving a stroke? No, don't have the opportunity to do that since the stroke is designed to make the players equal. If I try to press too much, it probably puts me at the disadvantage. Depending on the handicap difference a lower cap would probably be better to press on the mid difficulty holes to try and create an advantage there. So the answer is don't approach a hole where I am giving up a stroke any differently, but look toward the other holes where it may play to my strengths and my opponents weaknesses.

And if you expect to get them how do you take advantage of them? I generally don't get strokes, but my approach would be to play the hole more conservatively, avoid trouble, and see if I can sneak in an match my opponents score to win the hole.

I don't think I've ever even seen him hit a driver off any 1st tee. To be honest, if I could hit a long iron like he does, I probably wouldn't hit driver either.

In most cases, I feel more comfortable hitting a long iron off the tee than a driver. Just how I've always been.

True story on how this came about.

I went to Memphis and sat down with their team at the Ridgeway center. I said we have something called Regional Rivalry (which was pitched to another large OEM, and they said "It doesnt move the needle" and I literally laughed out loud because I showed them the numbers (over 600 million impressions) and they looked at me in disbelief. So I am talking with True Temper and explaining our vision and they were just nodding with every step.

The MVP part literally hit me while I was sitting there. I said GolferGal and myself will fly 3 people to True Temper and you guys just show them the time of their lives. They loved it. They have added some great ideas to the actual events and have been a wonderful partner. While THP Regional Rivalry is not the grand multiple day events that we have on the schedule, it is taking a single day event, and making it something unique. Putting them on top notch golf courses, making selection criteria be what it is and adding the MVP to it, that stretches the event out to last virtually all year long.

We are so excited about this because we know THPers still wanted single day events, but our goal was to make sure they were very different than a group of guys getting together for golf. Nobody needs THP for that and we love that that will happen all over the place this year. One of the people at True Temper summed it up best, with this sentence "Combining online with reality in a cost effective way that still offers the impossible". I liked that and told her we will steal it.

That should be on Mike Dean's THP business card among a few other things.

Grinder selling aside (I have seen it all on THP now ha)

Curious what all you guys feel about giving or receiving pops?

How do you deal with giving them to a person or a team?

Do you approach a hole any different if you are giving a stroke?

And if you expect to get them how do you take advantage of them?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Don't mind giving or receiving them as a team or individual. The only time it has bothered me has been in non-THP events and I know people are sandbagging.

If I am giving a stroke I take that into play and it can affect my decision, but it is entirely dependent on the hole and situation.

If am getting strokes, I will approach it the same way as I mentioned above. If I am getting them, then my goal is going to make a par.

Back