So, need some suggestions on helping a friend whose game is hurting.

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
A very good friend of mine is in the depth of a pretty hard slump.

Jim, normally a mid-to-low 80's player, has a homebuilt swing that has him breaking both elbows at the top, with the clubhead pointing to a spot on the ground about 3-4 feet in front of the ball. Very fast takeaway, pretty much the same swing for all clubs. He's a divot taker when playing well, and nowadays, he's taking beaver pelts, but is just mishitting the ball. And he's really feeling the frustration.

So, how do I tell him that he REALLY needs to have someone take a look at his swing? He's an old, good friend, and won't be upset if I give him the "straight poop". Should I just let him have it, or soften up the blow with some alcohol?

He loves playing the game, and it bums me out seeing him upset and fuming when we play.

I would drop the bomb, make fun of my own swing, THEN get him that drink. Hell maybe the two of you could get lessons together and make it one more great memory for a long standing friendship.

I would drop the bomb, make fun of my own swing, THEN get him that drink. Hell maybe the two of you could get lessons together and make it one more great memory for a long standing friendship.

I like this idea.

You could also buy him that drink and a gift card to Golftec or the local club pro or something - maybe the guy who helped you out? OOOOO I know, how about a playing lesson? That helps you both out!

He's a good friend? Well he will understand when you bust his chops straight & to the point.

"Look dude .... your swing is just sh*t right now. Why don't you go to a real PGA Professional & get it looked at so they can fix it for you? Cause I'm tired of your bitching & throwing of clubs!" LOL :act-up:

If he's a good friend, he will laugh it off & completely ignore your suggestion and continue to play badly, b*tch & moan. Just make sure the Beer cart is very close by so he can drown in his sorrows.

tell him....before you ever get so bumed out, try exhausting the excuses first. Take lessons, practice with a lessons purpose, put in all the resources of money, time, and efforts as he is possibly able to do. And then two years later if he still struggling mightely, he can have some smpathy.

I mean really....normlly a mid/low 80's self made player and hasnt done all that? I think even though struggling right now, he is darn lucky and fortunate to play as well as he does. He should be thankful because in my book (from one who has exhausted all the excuses and still cant do it) he is one of the luckier ones.

I just sent him the honest text, we'll see how he responds.

He's a good friend? Well he will understand when you bust his chops straight & to the point.

"Look dude .... your swing is just sh*t right now. Why don't you go to a real PGA Professional & get it looked at so they can fix it for you? Cause I'm tired of your bitching & throwing of clubs!" LOL :act-up:

If he's a good friend, he will laugh it off & completely ignore your suggestion and continue to play badly, b*tch & moan. Just make sure the Beer cart is very close by so he can drown in his sorrows.

I may be reading into the subtext here, but there's an air of experience about this post...

my best friend saw me go through some embarrassing struggles with bunker play earlier this year. he asked if i wanted a tip, and i stubbornly declined. it didn't get any better, and he offered again. i declined. finally on 18 he put his approach into a greenside bunker and he said, "if i get this inside 10' will you let me give you my bunker tip?" i agreed, and he hit it inside 2'. so i agreed, and the tip has really paid off for me.

so maybe do something fun like that, but also continue to be respectful to the level of his frustrations.

Tell it to him straight. That's how I like my feedback.

I may be reading into the subtext here, but there's an air of experience about this post...
Maybe ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

my best friend saw me go through some embarrassing struggles with bunker play earlier this year. he asked if i wanted a tip, and i stubbornly declined. it didn't get any better, and he offered again. i declined. finally on 18 he put his approach into a greenside bunker and he said, "if i get this inside 10' will you let me give you my bunker tip?" i agreed, and he hit it inside 2'. so i agreed, and the tip has really paid off for me.

so maybe do something fun like that, but also continue to be respectful to the level of his frustrations.

Now you know you can't tease and not share the tip with the rest of us!!!

On topic- I appreciate my friends giving it to me straight. Just be straight and honest with him but also do what was suggested and suggest you both take a lesson. Sometimes people feel embarrassed to ask for help but if you are both going it may make it easier to swallow.

Now you know you can't tease and not share the tip with the rest of us!!!

On topic- I appreciate my friends giving it to me straight. Just be straight and honest with him but also do what was suggested and suggest you both take a lesson. Sometimes people feel embarrassed to ask for help but if you are both going it may make it easier to swallow.

lower body was too active. he said he was having the same problems, and his club's pro at the time told him to imagine hitting a bunker shot while riding a horse. your lower body can't move if you're sitting on a horse. getting rid of the jimmy legs helped me tremendously.

I figured that is who you were talking about. His game went to **** on the back last Sunday and sounds like it carried on to yesterday. Funny thing is I have no clue on his swing as he has hit before I even realize he is about to hit. .

I figured that is who you were talking about. His game went to **** on the back last Sunday and sounds like it carried on to yesterday. Funny thing is I have no clue on his swing as he has hit before I even realize he is about to hit. .

LOL. He is not one for the long delay before swinging.

He thanked me for my text and seemed to be alright with what was going on.

Back