steel shaft for fairway woods ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I retrieved from the garage a steel shafted 3 wood and 5-wood. Both have Nippon 950FW steel shafts, the 15* 3 wood is 42" and the 19* 5-wood 41.5"
The relatively short length shafts of these clubs produces 10-12 yards less carry per club than I get from graphite shafted fairway metals, but I've enjoyed the accuracy benefits of the steel.
Does anybody here play older steel shafted fairway metals ?

Up until my grandaddy trip I gamed a steel shafted Ping G5 5 wood and loooooooooved it. I still have it and will break it out at the range every now and then

I used to have a steel shafted 7w. I loved it. I’m moving to all graphite though for less pain on the body.

For the first 5 years or so that I played, I played steel shafted everything... even driver. I still have one or two (maybe three) steel shafted drivers that I contemplate playing once in a while. I have switched over to playing graphite in my driver and 3wd now. I even played graphite in my hybrids for a while, but decided the "extra" distance wasn't worth the loss of accuracy. I can still poke the TM SLDR 3h (lofted down to 19°) out there 220+ routinely and get the occasional 250ish even with the steel shaft so I'm not complaining too much. I recently pulled the 5w out of my bag because I can't find a graphite shaft that I like it in. I'm now debating putting a DGold S300 in it and trying it out that way.

I have an original Callaway Big Bertha War Bird 3+ with the old Memphis 10 Steel shaft. That thing hits laser beams. It doesn't elevate much and it doesn't put any side spin on the ball at all, but I still like it. It would be a great club for a beginner, they would learn more precise contact and not see as much side spin.

For the first 5 years or so that I played, I played steel shafted everything... even driver. I still have one or two (maybe three) steel shafted drivers that I contemplate playing once in a while. I have switched over to playing graphite in my driver and 3wd now. I even played graphite in my hybrids for a while, but decided the "extra" distance wasn't worth the loss of accuracy. I can still poke the TM SLDR 3h (lofted down to 19°) out there 220+ routinely and get the occasional 250ish even with the steel shaft so I'm not complaining too much. I recently pulled the 5w out of my bag because I can't find a graphite shaft that I like it in. I'm now debating putting a DGold S300 in it and trying it out that way.

I have played steel shaft drivers, however the relative lack of distance (due to the 43" shaft), makes playing it not as fun as swinging a 44" to 46" graphite shafted driver.
For the fairway woods I plan to play some more rounds with the steel shafts. The loss of 10 to 15 or so yards of carry (compared to graphite shafted fairways) may be o.k. if the steel shafted fairway accuracy is exceptionally good.
Usually I play my graphite driver off of 5 or 6 tee boxes and graphite 3 and 5 wood off of 6 or 7 tee boxes. With the steel shafted fairway woods I probably will not play them off as many tee boxes as I do the graphite fairways.

I have played steel shaft drivers, however the relative lack of distance (due to the 43" shaft), makes playing it not as fun as swinging a 44" to 46" graphite shafted driver.
For the fairway woods I plan to play some more rounds with the steel shafts. The loss of 10 to 15 or so yards of carry (compared to graphite shafted fairways) may be o.k. if the steel shafted fairway accuracy is exceptionally good.
Usually I play my graphite driver off of 5 or 6 tee boxes and graphite 3 and 5 wood off of 6 or 7 tee boxes. With the steel shafted fairway woods I probably will not play them off as many tee boxes as I do the graphite fairways.

At the time, I didn't lose much distance (if any) playing the steel shafted driver. If anything, I might have picked up distance because it was easier to hit the center (ish) of the face with the shorter length. That being said, I think I played mine all at 43.5" to 44" and I play my graphite shafted driver now at 44.25" so the length isn't that much different.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and realize that you won't lose as much distance as you anticipate.

Still the play original Callaway Steelhead 7w and 9w that I reshafted over 15 years ago with DGX100 Lite w/Sensicore steel shafts.

If I remember correctly these were around 108g raw so they have been perfect Fairway shafts for me.

KBS makes a steel hybrid shaft at around 100 grams which is terrific. Probably a bit of a chore to swing for some but I’d bet most younger players (or guys still feeling pretty strong) who could benefit from a little more accuracy would do well with it in a hybrid or 5W.

KBS makes a steel hybrid shaft at around 100 grams which is terrific. Probably a bit of a chore to swing for some but I’d bet most younger players (or guys still feeling pretty strong) who could benefit from a little more accuracy would do well with it in a hybrid or 5W.

A hybrid .335 tipped shaft @ 100g?

If this (https://kbsgolfshafts.com/shop/hybrid/) is what you're talking about, I don't think it's gonna work for too many fairway woods.

I retrieved from the garage a steel shafted 3 wood and 5-wood. Both have Nippon 950FW steel shafts, the 15* 3 wood is 42" and the 19* 5-wood 41.5"
The relatively short length shafts of these clubs produces 10-12 yards less carry per club than I get from graphite shafted fairway metals, but I've enjoyed the accuracy benefits of the steel.
Does anybody here play older steel shafted fairway metals ?
Just checked a 2nd swing video and as i thought graphite iron shafts flew a couple of yards less but ended up with the same distance with much better dispersion by a mile......guy said sure he got more swing speed with graphite but the smash factor and spin was better with the steel. ... guessing your steel fw ended up with more distance than the graphite ones. Flags are not always on the front of greens so carry isnt everthing especially since graphite would often meen your 15 ýards offline or more anyway. Ps noticed the shaft in the old 3w i was hitting has sensicore in it which makes the feel similar to graphite anyway....ps just noticed it lists my handicap as 36...guess i could claim that in tournaments to sandbag...lol

Last edited:
Back