Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The following is a press release:

PHOENIX (January 11, 2016) – Developing knowledge and drawing inspiration from sources as diverse as dragonfly wings and 18-wheelers, PING today launched its new G series of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, again advancing speed, distance and forgiveness to unprecedented levels without sacrificing other performance attributes. This year PING went one step further, creating a new club category with the G Crossover, combining the best of hybrid and iron technology.

The new products, which are all custom fit and built to precise specifications, can be pre-ordered beginning today at PING-authorized golf shops around the world.

“It’s a credit to the imagination and the disciplined approach of our engineering, design and research teams that we’ve elevated performance across every category in new and exciting ways, innovation that will make the game easier for golfers of every ability level,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Our design process is different, as we gather information from the world around us, study new materials, and test rigorously to make sure our products give golfers meaningful results. The process leads to breakthroughs like Dragonfly Technology and Vortec Technology, found in the G drivers. We’ve also created a specialized heat-treatment process and COR-Eye Technology to make the G irons longer, higher-launching and more forgiving, a combination that’s very difficult to achieve. And with the new Crossover product line, an entirely new category, there’s a lot to be excited about.”

G Drivers (Standard, LS Tec, SF Tec)
A close-up photograph of a dragonfly taken by Solheim was the inspiration for the primary innovation in the driver. Solheim was intrigued by the wing structure and shared the photo with a group of engineers. Inspired by biomimicry, an approach to innovation that emulates nature’s time-tested patterns, they created Dragonfly Technology. The complex exoskeleton design yields PING’s thinnest (0.43 mm) and lightest crown to date, saving eight grams while creating an intricate and stable structure. The weight savings helped drive the center of gravity lower and deeper than any PING driver, increasing dynamic loft and elevating MOI significantly for maximizing distance and forgiveness.

Researchers also studied the base flaps that minimize large-scale vortex shedding behind 18-wheel semi-trailers and integrated their learnings into the G drivers to improve aerodynamics and increase speed. Vortec Technology on the back of the club and turbulators on the crown contribute to reducing drag 37% in the impact zone, yielding greater clubhead speed and ball velocity for measurable distance gains from all swing speeds. The variable-thickness T9S face has a high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for a thin face to increase ball speed.

Golfers can optimize launch conditions prior to a round by adjusting loft up to [SUP]+[/SUP]/[SUB]-[/SUB] 1º with five settings utilizing a lightweight, aerodynamically efficient and high-strength 7075 aluminum hosel sleeve.
The G SF Tec driver is custom-engineered with weight closer to the heel to produce a right-to-left shot bend (for right-handed golfers) and steer the ball back into the fairway. The G LS Tec driver features a CG that is extremely low (slightly forward of the standard G driver), for the player who desires low, stable spin with forgiveness.

- Lofts 9° & 10.5° in standard and LS Tec heads, 10° & 12° in SF Tec head. Lofts adjustable [SUP]+[/SUP]/[SUB]-[/SUB] 0.6° or 1°.
- Std. Length 45.75", D3, 206g (standard), D4, 207.5g (LS Tec), D1, 203g (SF Tec), 460cc
- Stock graphite shaft: PING Alta 55 (SR, R, S, X); Optional PING shafts ($30 upcharge): Std. length 45.25": Tour 65 & Tour 80 (R, S, X).
- U.S. MSRP $435

G_Driver_AdImage_TopView-XL.png

G_Driver_AdImage_Sole-XL.png

G_Driver_ADDRESS_Illustration-XL.png

Very happy to see they kept the SF Tec in this line. It worked out well for the G30 series, with the tech improvements this line could be an even more forgiving bomber for a lot of golfers. And based on how successful the G30 driver line was, that's saying something!!

• Staff
I won't lie, I'm eager for these to come in for review. Very eager.

Lots of good things said about the previous SF tec line, glad they are continuing on with it

From a tech standpoint I'm intrigued. Shaving 8g from the crown (if I read that correctly) is freaking massive and should have some serious performance implications.

On the down side, only offering a 12* option in the SF Tec means I'll probably never even give this one a try.

Hmm. Every G-series driver seems to be very good. I am intrigued.

That's a great looking driver from the initial pictures. Hoping to get to swing one soon in my local shop. Looking forward to the review

Looks like the G30 and the ANSER driver had a baby. I like it

Ping has certainly come a long way from the boring and stale to the new G line. Staying away from the carbon again and still managing to see grams is great. Can't wait to hit it.

Release date? I went to the Ping website and they have some videos posted. But no release date I can see.

That driver looks pretty damn crazy....but I like it. I saw some people absolutely bomb the G30 so I know what the predecessor was capable of...and I want to hit this one. Reducing drag 37% is HUGE.

I wonder what this driver head and my Green Project X shaft would do....? I would like the look of that at address.

YES! This looks awesome. I cannot wait to try one, hopefully Carl's will have them available for demo this weekend with the Team Michigan THP crew!

G30 was solid for a lot of people, by the sounds, they haven't varied to much from that formula.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

February 11 in stores per Golfsmith.

And like almost all of the drivers, this will be at Club Clash

Lot going on on that crown, but sounds like there is serious tech behind it. Definitely interesting.

From a tech standpoint I'm intrigued. Shaving 8g from the crown (if I read that correctly) is freaking massive and should have some serious performance implications.

On the down side, only offering a 12* option in the SF Tec means I'll probably never even give this one a try.

The SFTec will have a 10* head offering just like the G30. 10* and 12*.

Doh. Never mind. I realized now you wanted the normal head in 12.*.

Last edited:
It looks like they double downed on the turbulators, adding them to the back side of the crown as well.

Not a fan, but I'm sure I'll like the results.

Shaving 8g from the crown is huge! I really like the look of the new drivers. The G30 LS had been a bomber for me, I'd love to see how the new tech can improve on that club.

Intriguing driver, for sure. But those crown graphics are ridiculous.

That's a busy crown even in black, but being honest I think this driver looks pretty awesome. I hope it performs well!

They always seem to stand out more in the photos. I barely see the turbulators on my driver. Will probably be the same with this one.

I admire the boldness here that started with the G30. After seeing some interesting results with the G30, I might have to check this one out as well.

Too busy for my eye, but I'm sure many will like the looks. With these being released soon, I'll be able to pick up a G30 on sale.

Back