How a pro would do on your local course

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Every once in a while, someone posts something to the effect of "I'll bet the pros wouldn't be so good without the perfectly manicured fairways, perfect greens, etc. If they had to play my course, they'd likely be 5 shots worse."

While this looks like a nice course and isn't a goat track, it does appear to be an average course any of us might play.

Check out what a PGA Tour pro does:

That is a Pete Dye course. If they are hitting from the tips it is 7346 yards with a rating of 77.6/147. The rough on that thing is pretty insane. Miss the fairway and you are probably losing the ball.

Ill watch when I get home. They would eat my home course for lunch as long as they where in the fairways.

bubba came to the muni by my house a couple years ago but i can't find the video of it. he didn't actually play the course, just kind of messed with everybody.

it's the site of a former tour stop back in the golden years, but the game has passed it by. it's only like 6,200 yards from the tips, but it's really tight. greens are only ok, very grainy. at par 70, i think they could easily break 60.

"holy crap this green is fuzzy, I'll use a wedge from 30 feet"
"that's a strange bounce"
"i saw the ball go here, where is it?!"

I think they’d crush it honestly. It’s pretty wide open, and the greens are quickish and roll true. It’d be a blood bath.

bubba came to the muni by my house a couple years ago but i can't find the video of it. he didn't actually play the course, just kind of messed with everybody.

Dubsdread? Like a mile from my mom's house. :)

Yeah, I remember that video. The host made him play right-handed and he still was tearing it up.

Better than me. I barely know how the guys I play with do. A pro is ......a pro.

Thanks ... I'll watch later.

This has come up lots lately .

There are 2 questions I would like to know
#1 how would a pro go playing my local course setup as I play it.

#2 how would I go playing a pro course setup for pro conditions.

Neither is likely to happen :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

My course record was shot by a pro. He shot 63 twice. I would think today’s pros would shoot similar score or better.

The one thing I'd love to see a Pro deal with is hard pan greenside "bunkers " with basically no sand in them. Now there's a freaking hazard.

Local mini-tour guys can absolutely shred up the local courses in a casual setting, so the Touring Pros definitely could tear them a new one.

I have little doubt they would eat the average course up. But I do think (course delendant) and how accurate they are that day could factor in a few strokes lost due to poor conditions. I mean jusy miss a green by 5 yrds and find your ball sitting right smack against a thick wood like weed or a hard ball clump of grass vs instead nice fluffy grass. I mean one way there is no way to really hit the ball well other than luck. Or gtting into a deep footprint in the sand. Or haveing the ball bounce instead of roll its way to the hole. etc,etc,...they would chew it up over all but they also imo would be not chewing it up quite as much as they could if they had none of these things to deal with. You can never use one round to prove mcuh of anyting imo. Imo its when they are playing less than good golf that they will then likely run into more of the poorer conditions scnerios.

Greens are too receptive to put up any fight at my home course. I’d say they are firing a 62 or better without too much trouble. The only defense they would encounter is old growth trees but that will only affect them once or twice.

If my home course was in good shape, a good pro would probably shoot -8 or -9 pretty easily. If the pro played it now, they might shoot -4 or -5 due to the substandard condition of the greens and fairways, and of course they'd have to hit out of footprints in the traps that too many people forget to rake.

As long as they could keep it on the narrow fairways, stay out of the crappy traps and learned to negotiate the very mediocre greens, they would eat it up. They would likely be hitting 7 iron max into the 4 par 5s. No bargain off the fairways that in many cases don't exceed 20 yards wide tbough. You have 5 yards at the most of rough on each side on the majority of holes then heavily wooded areas.

My home course would be silly and not worth it. I would want to see them play my favorite local course Sleepy Hollow and watch them putt those greens. They had a mini tour event last year(only like 10 people) and the winner was a few over for 2 rounds and he qualified for the US Open that year.

My home course would be silly and not worth it. I would want to see them play my favorite local course Sleepy Hollow and watch them putt those greens. They had a mini tour event last year(only like 10 people) and the winner was a few over for 2 rounds and he qualified for the US Open that year.

That’s because the course blows and the greens belong in the circus. In case you couldn’t tell lol I hate sleepy

lol the course(greens) is pretty polarizing that is for sure.

The course record on one of my local courses is 61 or ten under. It is held by four people, two of which I know are former PGA tour pros. Another in the area is a par 72 and the record is held by Sam Snead, he shot a 60. There is a short par 3 course around here that has a score card posted in the club house, if I remember correctly something like 17 out of 18 holes were birdies.

Gordon Lakes would get shredded. Greens are decent, roll about a 9-9.5, and the rough is kept down a decent amount. The traps usually have plenty of sand in them. The longest possible configuration is about 7100 yards. I think a -10 would be considered a decent round for a tour pro.

I’d still like to see a pro play Hawaii Country Club in the late summer. The greens are slightly more receptive than a parking lot.

Dubsdread? Like a mile from my mom's house. :)

Yeah, I remember that video. The host made him play right-handed and he still was tearing it up.

that's the one. only about a mile from my house too. just got done smacking around a large bucket of balls there this evening :)

my local track, Rancho Park, hosted the LA Open 17 times between 1957-1983. The lowest winning score was -16 and highest was -4. The average was probably around 8 or 9. The course tips out around 6700 (there's 600+ yards they could add in spots) and I think today's pros would demolish the course because of its length, receptive/soft greens, etc.

They'd shoot 50s on mine pretty easy. Could drive a bunch of us par 4s, and would make a joke of the par 5s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back