The Photography Thread

Looking into external flashes a lot lately. I never realized just how much they can help on some things.

I also really want lightroom still.

If you don't have Lightroom it is cost effective to pay the 9.99/month for the photography plan and get LR and PS cc.

If you don't have Lightroom it is cost effective to pay the 9.99/month for the photography plan and get LR and PS cc.

Something I'm definitely looking at, but, I think I can get copies through the school. Going to try.

I've always kind of liked photography, but never really got into it. Around the time our first child was born (about 5 years ago now), we got a Nikon D5100, thinking we'd learn how to use it and take great pictures of the kids. Unfortunately, we never really found the time to do it. I've decided I really want to make an effort to figure it out this winter, but for the life of me cannot find the instructions and instructional DVD that came with the camera. I know all the basic functions, but it's basically just an expensive point and click for me right now.

Does anyone have suggestions for resources that might help me learn how to operate that specific camera?

Edit: On second thought, I think it might have actually been the D3100. I'm not at home right now to check, but if it makes a difference in terms of the resources someone might suggest, I will look tonight to be sure.

I've always kind of liked photography, but never really got into it. Around the time our first child was born (about 5 years ago now), we got a Nikon D5100, thinking we'd learn how to use it and take great pictures of the kids. Unfortunately, we never really found the time to do it. I've decided I really want to make an effort to figure it out this winter, but for the life of me cannot find the instructions and instructional DVD that came with the camera. I know all the basic functions, but it's basically just an expensive point and click for me right now.

Does anyone have suggestions for resources that might help me learn how to operate that specific camera?

Edit: On second thought, I think it might have actually been the D3100. I'm not at home right now to check, but if it makes a difference in terms of the resources someone might suggest, I will look tonight to be sure.

Do a search on Youtube. I would be real surprized if you can't find video on anything you need to know for it.

Edit: Yep there is tons on there. I searched Nikon d3100 tutorial.

Do a search on Youtube. I would be real surprized if you can't find video on anything you need to know for it.

Edit: Yep there is tons on there. I searched Nikon d3100 tutorial.

Awesome! I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that, so extra thanks for not pointing out that the answer was obvious.

Learning the basics of how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO work together to make the exposure is probably the most important concept. Photography can be a deep field, it's helpful to talk to other photographers.

Dave

Here ya go BSI,
Fro will take care of you with this.

http://froknowsphoto.com/nikon_d5100_guide_1/

+1 for FRO! Also, Fredmiranda.com is a neat site. Just got introduced to it lately, but it's a forum site similar to this. Lots of good info in general. Nice thing about Nikon's, even going back to the older models, is that they're pretty similar throughout.

If you want to get off full auto mode, mess around a little with Aperture setting. Best of luck!

+1 for FRO! Also, Fredmiranda.com is a neat site. Just got introduced to it lately, but it's a forum site similar to this. Lots of good info in general. Nice thing about Nikon's, even going back to the older models, is that they're pretty similar throughout.

If you want to get off full auto mode, mess around a little with Aperture setting. Best of luck!

Fred Miranda's site is great, I've been over there for a few years now. There's good information there and a lot of really talented people. It also has a good buy & sell forum.

Dave

Learning the basics of how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO work together to make the exposure is probably the most important concept. Photography can be a deep field, it's helpful to talk to other photographers.

Dave

Yeah, that's for sure. I started with a manual, match needle 35mm SLR. I later bought one with an automatic metering mode, and my work actually went backwards in quality. About that time I started really getting more serious about golf and mostly quit photography. I went through 3 or 4 point and shoot type cameras, both film and then later, digital.

When I got back into DSLR, I shot mostly aperture priority for a couple of years with mixed success. Then, at the suggestion of some members on a couple of photography forums, I tried manual, just letting the camera do 95% of the focusing, but giving complete exposure control to me (including ISO - I've never used auto ISO). Suddenly my photos started to improve. Now I can't imagine doing anything else. I still delete plenty of culls, but my keeper percentage is way up, and they are much better than they were 2 years ago. Post processing is less work because my exposures are more consistent. I've been using the same camera and lenses for 4 years now so I know how they work together pretty well, and that helps a lot too.

A few more samples:

This is from my trip to Africa in 2014:

Leopard was guarding its previous day's kill, so it was not about to leave. We got some great shots here.

i-5fqFbTD-XL.jpg

The African wild dog, also called the painted wolf:

i-qFnqg7x-XL.jpg

African sunsets can be spectacular:

i-4PMRgpD-XL.jpg

This was taken on a stormy day in Rocky Mountain National Park.

i-NF2GnzB-XL.jpg

Took this one with my phone at Powell Gardens, a local botanical garden.

c7476f0a2071972385956ae86be0814b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A few more samples:

Leopard was guarding its previous day's kill, so it was not about to leave. We got some great shots here.

i-5fqFbTD-XL.jpg

i-qFnqg7x-XL.jpg

i-4PMRgpD-XL.jpg

i-NF2GnzB-XL.jpg

Great shots!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few more samples:

i-5fqFbTD-XL.jpg

i-qFnqg7x-XL.jpg

i-4PMRgpD-XL.jpg

i-NF2GnzB-XL.jpg

Fantastic shots. Absolutely fantastic.

Thanks to all. I'll keep this thread in mind in the future. Although I didn't go through every page in detail, I can see that there are some others here who have a real eye for photography too. I saw some great images as I skimmed through the pages.

Playing with one of the new speedlites I bought, YES.

Still trying to get the trigger to sync up so I can use the two in tandem on the lightbox, so this was with one actually mounted. This is going to let me improve my pictures exponentially for reviews.

DSC_0022-XL.jpg

Hate the black background (and yes its upside down), but the white one is being washed at the mo.

WHOO! Got them synced up to the camera. Don't mind the background (dog hair and lint) as I just wanted to get things set up and mess with them a bit. Also, definitely need to work on the angles of the flashes outside the box to manipulate the shadows how I want. More tinkering with the ISO and Aperture, and I might just be rocking and rolling!

DSC_0032-XL.jpg

This is a hobby I have really been eyeing since I was in my early teens. I used to help my uncle develop film in his darkroom and was amazed at the process. I just wish I had some more time to learn and work on it. Some of the photos in this thread are REALLY well done.

WHOO! Got them synced up to the camera. Don't mind the background (dog hair and lint) as I just wanted to get things set up and mess with them a bit. Also, definitely need to work on the angles of the flashes outside the box to manipulate the shadows how I want. More tinkering with the ISO and Aperture, and I might just be rocking and rolling!

Nice shot. Not my cup of photographic tea (I'm mostly outdoor, natural light, primarily nature stuff), but you hit that well. :clapp:

Nice shot. Not my cup of photographic tea (I'm mostly outdoor, natural light, primarily nature stuff), but you hit that well. :clapp:

Hahaha, its a necessity with the job :alien:

Dave, that is BEAUTIFUL. Wow!

Black-Capped Chickadee

Wildlife has been my go to lately, but I don't know how wildlife it really is when it is from your back yard!

Dave

I looked through your flickr photostream; beautiful work. I am envious of your talent.

I really like that photograph.

Back