Re-Shaft with aftermarket High $ quality shaft....or buy the latest new OEM Driver

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
Poll: do you think your game would improve more with a new high dollar aftermarket shaft fitted to your current head, or just go buy the latest OEM offering at big box store

Whats your next upgrade?...new driver or re-shaft?

You don't have to have a "high dollar" shaft to play great golf. Just the right shaft.

Yes, I believe that a properly fitted shaft will pay bigger dividends in the current driver head rather than buying another stock OEM setup.

With that said, we've seen fantastic progression in stock shaft offerings (see the current available for GBB) which narrows the gap between what's available stock versus what is fitted for after market.

OEM's pair shafts for the largest portion of golfers on the bell curve, and all of them are doing a damn good job. Will they fit everyone? No, that's why a fitting matters, but shaft pairings being released right now are insanely playable for the masses.

Going from the Big Bertha (with the sliding weight in the back) to the 815 DBD with the exact same shaft gave me that mystical twenty extra yards with more accuracy as well. I was shocked. Just switching the heads I went from 3100 RPMs to 2400 average.

You don't have to have a "high dollar" shaft to play great golf. Just the right shaft.

This is the right answer.
I just reshafted my SLDR from the stock Speeder 57 to an Aldilia Rouge Black.
Amazing difference.
About a $100 change.
Worth every penny.

Just my opinion, but I think most people can find a great shaft that would make their current head perform well for them. That's not necessarily a high dollar shaft, or a non "made-for" shaft.

Exactly right...

FYI: Some used high dollar shafts, that can be had on e-bay as used pulls for cheap. e.g Diamana Blueboards, UST Elements, Speeders etc

I don't expect the same properly fitted shaft to fit a new head every time. The head makes a bigger difference in ball flight anyways.

If im looking to buy a new "real deal" shaft, ill make sure to buy from you Prozone

I feel like I am chasing my tail sometimes.

I prefer to commit a lot of time to a shaft that has performed for me, changing here and there depending on what intrigues me.

That said, I think the HZRDUS is going to be that shaft for this year. Is it wildly better than what was stock in my 816? I don't think wildly, no. Is it awesome? Oh yeah.

I have found that even high quality aftermarket shafts vary in performance wildly from head to head.

The fact remains, a proper fitting solves the problem, OEM shaft or not.

I will answer completely honestly...

My next upgrade would be a new driver. Not a new high quality shaft.

Why? Because I want something new. I want a new driver. I dont want a new high end shaft. I like to play something, then change. Most consumers are the same way. It's a what have you done for me lately kind of thing.

I will answer completely honestly...

My next upgrade would be a new driver. Not a new high quality shaft.

Why? Because I want something new. I want a new driver. I dont want a new high end shaft. I like to play something, then change. Most consumers are the same way. It's a what have you done for me lately kind of thing.
You've earned it. Treat yo-self

You've earned it. Treat yo-self
My CG Black isnt going anywhere. Also, I have NO IDEA what shaft is in it. But I pound the hell out of it.

Proper fitting is key but the price isn't a big deal. I think the stock options can give you great results after a basic fitting, especially now that the stock offerings are much wider.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Many feel that with the restrictions in place on COR etc. that the industry has now reached a point in time where it is now very difficult to make significant improvements in the actual performance of a driver head. I don't believe their opinion is way off base or something to be mocked. My opinion is a little mixed.

I believe the aftermarket shaft is the highest in "Quality" and "Performance" money can buy. It needs to be fitted to the players profile. That is a no brainer. Not opining stock shafts are junk and not worthy of being used but they are not made to be the highest quality shaft in the shaft manufacturer's arsenal. The properly fitted aftermarket shaft will almost always perform better.
If a golfer has a newer type driver opting for the superior performing aftermarket shaft fitting rather than buying the next new driver/ stock shaft offering is a very good strategy. Will most go that route? I don't think so, club love does not last long. They want something new to fall in love with all over again.

I always opt for the shaft change. The right shaft can turn just about any head into a bomber, in my opinion.

Seems silly to drop more money on a new driver when you can get a really nice shaft from a place like ProClubs at really good deals.

I'd need both. I'm playing a PING G30 9* that I bought used. A higher lofted head would do me good, a shorter shaft would do me good, and figuring out the right swing weight would do me good. Since I need to do all that anyway, might as well get something with the right bend characteristics.

Or in other words, I need a full driver fitting.

I'd need both. I'm playing a PING G30 9* that I bought used. A higher lofted head would do me good, a shorter shaft would do me good, and figuring out the right swing weight would do me good. Since I need to do all that anyway, might as well get something with the right bend characteristics.

Or in other words, I need a full driver fitting.
I think everybody does, that is why I never keep the stock shaft, I do the fitting by playing method, I pull shafts until I get the right fit for club and myself, unfortunetley I have a basement full of shafts waiting for homes, it is fun though.

Back