Do you use the bump and run?

When I hear bump and run I think 7-8 iron or as we like to refer to it "old man golf" because several older players in my league use that shot often and they do it very well. That being said I do often use my 50* around the green to hit lower shots that get rolling quickly instead of trying to get it close to the hole through the air.
Maybe that's part of the ego issue many have with the shot, it's associated with "old man golf". The way I coach it, any shot intentionally played lower to hop and release.

Maybe that's part of the ego issue many have with the shot, it's associated with "old man golf". The way I coach it, any shot intentionally played lower to hop and release.

Possibly... I was always taught to get the ball on the green as quickly as possible when around the greens. Good on you for teaching it to the kids its a great shot to have in the arsenal

That's how my coach described it to me as well. His thought was that the majority of short game shots should be played low, minimal carry, and more release. Lots of advantages including, better chance to make, easier from different lies, and more margin for error.

I grew up with the B&R (long before Wedge loft options), so it’s a go-to shot. My lack of chipping confidence adds to it. I try to work on chipping now, to build skill/confidence.

Yes, and it is something that I have recommended to Jen and one of her beginner friends rather than trying to hit a more lofted club

Often when we are out just practicing and one of them is around the green I will throw a ball down and remind them how to play the shot, so I also practice it from various distances as well

In my last playing lesson my coach had me practice some greenside stuff - he picked a 2 tier green with water in front of the green and the flag on the lower tier at the front and had me play a number of different shots from the back of the green, both a bump and run to the top of the slope and let it feed down towards the hole and a flyer to land on the bottom tier next to the flag. Nothing focuses the mind more than having water about 15ft beyond the flag when you are trying to play a flop shot towards it.....

Use my 7 iron for this at least a few times a round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it, but it has as much success as the dainty stuff. It’s not fun when the bump and run checks up.

One reason I’m a little gunshy with it too. I have access to a very nice practice facility where I can work on that shot, but I usually wind up doing it with range balls. When I’m out playing with the gamer ball I often wind up trying to get down from 20+ feet.

I use my 50 degree for any bump and runs. I do prefer that more than trying to fly my 54 or 58 close to the pin and having it check up. I just feel I can control the B&R better, I see my line, try to hit, and get it rolling on that quicker. My regular playing partner chutts from anything 15 yards in, unless the rough is super nasty. Kid even putts out of green side bunkers since the sand were we play is super hard.

Exactly. I'm a GIR +1 guy and try to hit toward that fairway entrance. Bump and run with a pitching wedge, closed face.

I have gotten away from it recently but need to get back to using it more.

Man,
I’ve reincorporated this and it is wonderful to have in the bag. It’s a Harvey Pennick type of thing, keep the ball close to the ground. It is the way I was taught to play and frankly I abandoned it when I got into “the modern era”. Having 3 or 4 wedges tends to push you toward hitting higher shots and often shots you can’t consistently hit as an amateur. Being smart and taking a short iron with you from the cart when you also pull a wedge has saved me some strikes for sure. The pros incorporate it and they are the best flighted wedge players in the world. I think you see the Euros doing it more. Growing up I noticed Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, etc using the bump and run a lot.

I don't use it unless I'm absolutely forced to.

It's easier for me to judge carry and roll out on basic chips and pitches than it is to judge bumping the ball.

Also, there really isn't that much area to practice these shots except out on the course.

I should play this shot more around the greens, but my confidence in it is just very low. My problem is I never practice it so its not just going to be a shot I can go to and trust. I bet it would shave some strokes off my game though if I practiced and used it when called for though.

I love the bump and run play for my game. I have a better feel when I mimic my putting but with a lofted club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the bump and run whenever I can. I just feel so comfortable using it. I will select my club and use a normal putter stroke. Club selection dependent on distance to green as well as distance from where green starts to the flag. My most popular clubs in the past has been my 7i and PW. But I want to play round now with my PW, 48deg and 54deg wedges.

Yes, I love the bump and run. I recently traded a 4 hybrid for a Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 3 iron which most would use as a driving iron, but after 2 range sessions and 18 holes of golf I am already seeing this thing as a knockdown/bump & run weapon. I had a shot from about 160 out with some wind right in my face. Normally I would use a 5 iron for this shot to fly one in there, but I decided to hit a 2/3 swing bump and run with the 3 iron and got a nice low shot that landed about 15 yards in front of the green and rolled on up to the right fringe. Easy up and down for par from there. I can lob shots in also, but I find the margin for error is quite a bit more with a bump and run. There is obviously a trade off as your very best full swing shots will be closer than your very best bump and run so it's just some course management in figuring out when to make that trade off and when to try to throw a dart right at the pin.

very rarely. i should because i'm yippy around the greens, but it never suits my eye.

Yes, I play at least a few times a round.

There are many factors that come into play when using it, but it is a great shot that is usually safer than other ones

Seeing as I have no idea what is meant by a bump and run versus a chip or a pitch (still not sure I get the difference there either), I probably don't use it.

For the original question, I do not play it as much as a higher ball.

Now, just because I like to have things spelled out for me, let's define it.

1. At what point does it become a BnR versus a pitch? Versus a chip?
2. What distances from the edge of the green? Versus a chip/pitch?

As a sidebar, I read a little tip that may help you BnR guys/gals. Stand the shaft a smidge upright to raise the heel of the club. It will help with catching the heel on the grass.

I would say that a chip is a type of bump and run shot since you're hitting it to roll out toward the hole. A pitch is not a bump and run type of shot because you're throwing the ball towards the hole and want it to basically stop where it lands. I think these terms aren't always used correctly so there is some confusion on what each one actually is.

Yet another area where ego trumps performance in golf LOL!

I use it, but I'm hardly proficient at it. I really struggle with distance control when bumping for some reason, and I'm generally more comfortable making a larger stroke than a smaller one.

I use it as a default unless I don’t have enough green to work with. I can get up and down close to 80-90% doing bump and runs since I practice it A LOT.

Seems like every season I start off using it quite a bit with an 8 or 9 iron, and then as the year goes out I shy away from it. Not because I don't enjoy the shot, but I feel like my touch develops more as the season goes on and I go with a riskier play.

Its an interesting topic I think, I use both shots (traditional wedge shot and B&R) and honestly its a huge part of why my HCP has plummeted the past year or so. I'll take a kick in par over a pretty shot every time. Now, is it always the play? Of course not, but I do believe its far more controllable.

Back