Do you use the bump and run?

It's an emergency shot for me as I have not practiced it enough. I've spent more time working on partial swings and knockdown shots which I trust. This is a known weak area of my game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, and usually played with a 54* , 49*, or 44*. I consider "bump and run" to be any shot which bounces and rolls at least as far as it did carry within the air.
I've also tried 9-8-7 iron bump and runs but my distance control is inconsistent with those stronger lofted clubs.

I have always been comfortable with the shot but I don't use it as much as I should. I really need to get back to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've started using a 9 iron to chip anything sound the green where I have plenty of room to work with. I've been amazed at how much easier it is to get it close.

Love my Ole man Green side shots and do so more than throw at pins expecting it to just hop check and stop. Don't have that skill set confidence. If short sided will bump into a false front or fringe to get it rolling at hopefully the right speed. Getting something up in the air frightens me.

No, not really. I don't spin the ball but I don't b&r it either, normally just hit traditional pitch and chips and play for roll out.

I don't play it as often as I should, I tend to go right to the sand wedge and come up quite a bit. I need to practice it with a 8 or 9 iron a little more.

I use it as much as possible and it is amazing how often it will curl up right next to the cup.

As MWard points out, you do have to be careful, particularly on Bermuda greens. If you're going into an upslope into the grain, it's going to check WAY before you intend if you don't factor that in. Similarly, downhill downgrain you could find your bump-and-run off the green.

Seeing as I have no idea what is meant by a bump and run versus a chip or a pitch (still not sure I get the difference there either), I probably don't use it.

Simple stuff!

A "bump and run" is a low-flying shot that will hit and have a longer roll-out the and higher flying shot. You can hit it from any distance, within reason. Some people like it, because it gets the ball on the ground and rolling faster, and the lower trajectory has less chance of disaster happening, since you use a putting stroke with it.

I use it as much as possible and it is amazing how often it will curl up right next to the cup.

As MWard points out, you do have to be careful, particularly on Bermuda greens. If you're going into an upslope into the grain, it's going to check WAY before you intend if you don't factor that in. Similarly, downhill downgrain you could find your bump-and-run off the green.

Simple stuff!

A "bump and run" is a low-flying shot that will hit and have a longer roll-out the and higher flying shot. You can hit it from any distance, within reason. Some people like it, because it gets the ball on the ground and rolling faster, and the lower trajectory has less chance of disaster happening, since you use a putting stroke with it.

Well fellas, Imma need a lesson in a couple weekends’ time!

Its an interesting topic I think, I use both shots (traditional wedge shot and B&R) and honestly its a huge part of why my HCP has plummeted the past year or so. I'll take a kick in par over a pretty shot every time. Now, is it always the play? Of course not, but I do believe its far more controllable.
I find far more margin for error as well with the bump and run.

I use it, but not as often as I probably should. Our greens are very soft, and sometimes that can make some shots check that you don't at all intend or expect to check, so I don't try for a lot of run. On courses with firmer greens it is a great shot to be able to use.

Particuarly when it started as a skulked shot that I say was meant to be a bump and run. I went to a dave Plez school and they teach that shot very well.

Since I started golf I have always used the b&r, it's a shot that has helped me tremendously on shorter/closer pitches onto the green. In my case even a poor b&r is better than a bad wedge shot. I showed my buddy it the other week that just started playing golf and he can't get enough of it.
My two fav. situations I use it is 1) Ball in fairway short of the green, pin middle or back of the green. Easier to get it close to the pin than trying to putt it. 2) Just missing the green, ball is in rough. Allows me to pop the ball out quick and easy then release nicely vs. trying to manipulate a high lofted wedge.

I don't very often as my home course doesn't really have short grass run offs where I would choose to do it. I did use 1 today on a par 3 where I caught a tree and ended up short left on a funky green with a back right pin. Had 47 yards and my landing area would have been on a downslope so I put a 58 back in the stance and hit a shot like I was trying to hit a hook. Hit to 12 feet which isn't awful for that distance.

I would love to spend a week or 2 playing firm and fast courses with lots of short grass as those kind of shots are a blast.

Would the group consider a 54 degree wedge "High lofted"? I use my SW a lot around the green, but don't really try to fly it to the pin. So, would that be considered more of a BnR?

I use the b&r with my 52* quite often but should really start going with a 8, 9 and PW b&r more often. It's a great shot and seems to leave me in a better position on bad shots vs. traditional wedge shots.

I don't very often as my home course doesn't really have short grass run offs where I would choose to do it. I did use 1 today on a par 3 where I caught a tree and ended up short left on a funky green with a back right pin. Had 47 yards and my landing area would have been on a downslope so I put a 58 back in the stance and hit a shot like I was trying to hit a hook. Hit to 12 feet which isn't awful for that distance.

I would love to spend a week or 2 playing firm and fast courses with lots of short grass as those kind of shots are a blast.

"Short grass lies" should not be much of a factor regarding bump and run shots. Rather than the lie, I think it's more a matter of how much green there is to work with between the ball and the flag stick.

Would the group consider a 54 degree wedge "High lofted"? I use my SW a lot around the green, but don't really try to fly it to the pin. So, would that be considered more of a BnR?

I consider any shot that bounces and rolls more distance than it carries in the air to be a "bump and run". Really does not matter what loft club is used to play the shot.

We have a couple of courses that have links like run offs around the greens. Add in the wind here, and not having the bump and run in the arsenal is a huge mistake for any golfer.

I use it but I don’t get very close with it.

"Short grass lies" should not be much of a factor regarding bump and run shots. Rather than the lie, I think it's more a matter of how much green there is to work with between the ball and the flag stick.

Yeah you are right. When I was typing it I was actually thinking of the shots where you hit a low ball into the short grass of an elevated green and it bounces on up.

Particuarly when it started as a skulked shot that I say was meant to be a bump and run. I went to a dave Plez school and they teach that shot very well.

Yes, if you read reviews about Bandon Dunes a lot of them have a caddie laughing at someone for bringing 4 wedges LOL! You're not going to need those here partner!! Courses like that you need a lob wedge to plop shots out of bunkers, other than that you're playing with fire trying to pop a 40 or 50 yard shot up into the air when the ground is hard and the wind is blowing 20 mph. You're far more likely to skull the thing 70 yards than you are to lob it in tight.

Yeah you are right. When I was typing it I was actually thinking of the shots where you hit a low ball into the short grass of an elevated green and it bounces on up.

You wrote that your course has mostly long grass surrounding its greens.
Let me ask you this. If your ball lay 5 feet off of the green, in long grass, yet the flag is on the other side of the green 50 feet from your ball, do you play a shot that carries in the air to near the flag or do you play a shot that carries only 10 to 15 feet and then bounces and rolls its way to the flag stick ?

Back