Charity Golf Outings & On-Course Games: Yay or Nay?

links_slayer

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the very early stages of planning my first charity golf outing. I've played in a ton of these over the years and I know it's going to be impossible to make everyone happy. I just want to create an event that people enjoy, look forward to so much that they put it on their calendars a year in advance, want to tell their friends about, and ultimately raise wheelbarrows full of cash for the charity.

So when it comes to on-course games, do you give them a Yay or Nay?

If Yay, which are your favorites? Which could you go the rest of your life never seeing again in an outing like this?

For what it's worth I'm not talking about long drive, closest to the pin, long putt, etc.

I'm talking about things like:

- roll the dice to determine the tee box your group will hit from
- hire the pro / beat the pro
- hit it in the circle on a par 3
- long drive w/ kiddie driver (or opposite handed driver)

The first 3 ideas seem pretty cool. I've played in tournaments that have done those.

Honestly I dont thimk it will matter much. I think the basics will do. One of the two i take place in each year will have hole in one car prizes on two of the par3's and thats always an added fun thing to have even though never been won by anyone yet. . So prizes via that route and of course prize raffles and 50/50's etc will do. Other than that just have enough beer. Im not a big consumer but that always seems to be of the utmost imprtance to many people. They just want to catch a buzz and have some fun while there. And imo always do a good job of presenting the charity/ies with a warm haeart and perhaps touching way as that can make a big impact if presented well which can in itself bring people back. Just my thoughts.

I’ve done the circle on a par 3 and you can pay $5 to hit your 2nd shot on a par 5 from the spot where the pro hit driver to. Getting creative sounds fun! I played in a work tournament Monday and so many people were backed up on the closest to the pin par 3 because it was worth some $$. The more contests, the more golfers may take their time. Good luck in whatever you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the first 3 - those are cool

I've run a few tournaments and have found people who play golf only once or twice a year like these games to keep their interest. One I've seen work well is a marshmallow drive. People get up and swing as hard as they can only to see the marshmallow disintegrate. Another thing we used this past year was an air cannon. There are several companies around that will bring out a few people and shoot golf balls over 300 yards with compressed air. Some courses will let you shoot it off a short par 4 into the green, others will only let you shoot it off the tee on a par 5. Either way, people love it.

Back