Will Another Company Try Truvis Type Markings?

I think the next step in golf ball design is custom covers. Why limit to the soccer design? What about a money ball basketball design? Baseball stitches? Planet Earth? Anything else the heart can imagine?

I’m surprised that no one has come out with something similar yet.

Do you think that is because of who is at the top or most vocal socially? Meaning if a smaller company or one not at the top copies, they kind of get a pass?
We saw that with TaylorMade and the white drivers. Small companies got a pass for the copying. Whereas if Ping would have jumped in, they would have been labeled (although Ping might be a bad example).
I think it more like the top companies would just deal with the social fallout and be just fine selling to their base. While social is big, the vast majority of people aren't as plugged in as we think, and any fallout would quickly fade.
I think the Zoocrew would unleash hell on whoever copied Truvis. This would gain them some fans, probably solidify things with others, and possibly turn some off from them.
Kind of like some companies going to softer compression, even though they've insisted in the past that it doesn't matter. They get grilled for it in social, but it doesn't end up mattering.

I'm with most others in that I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, but while the patent may not restrict the design from being replicated, the method for putting it on the ball may be what's holding any imitators up. You can't deny, Callaway has a home run with the Truvis and companies would be silly if they didn't at least consider a similar idea, even at the risk of being labelled a knock off or imitator.

I think it more like the top companies would just deal with the social fallout and be just fine selling to their base. While social is big, the vast majority of people aren't as plugged in as we think, and any fallout would quickly fade.
I think the Zoocrew would unleash hell on whoever copied Truvis. This would gain them some fans, probably solidify things with others, and possibly turn some off from them.
Kind of like some companies going to softer compression, even though they've insisted in the past that it doesn't matter. They get grilled for it in social, but it doesn't end up mattering.

This is kind of my school of thought.
I am pro original ideas. Im also pro with golf equipment in general.
I think choices are good, and I think a technology leader (regardless of industry) is going to constantly get copied and mimicked. Tech and Auto industries as well as apparel come to mind.

This is kind of my school of thought.
I am pro original ideas. Im also pro with golf equipment in general.
I think choices are good, and I think a technology leader (regardless of industry) is going to constantly get copied and mimicked. Tech and Auto industries as well as apparel come to mind.
I agree that choices are great. I think in this case, Callaway has really come up with a unique method of printing, and they really deserve to be rewarded with patent protection.

Didn't Srixon use the Truvis pattern on balls in overseas markets?

I wouldn’t put the past another company to do it but it won’t have the same soccer markings....it will be something else. Unless callaway has the patent on manufacturing of golf balls with such markings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Callaway didn’t invent the technology and only licensed it. When does their exclusivity clause expire?

Since Callaway didn’t invent the technology and only licensed it. When does their exclusivity clause expire?

I believe they purchased the patent from the licensor after initial run and popularity.

I believe they purchased the patent from the licensor after initial run and popularity.

That would make sense if they were able to do so.

Since Callaway owns the patent on the process, an interested company could offer to use it right? Similar to Bridgestone and their urethane injection whatever?

If they hold the patent on this process, it may be such that no one else can really put out a patterned golf ball. They'll get as much competition as they want to have, and their marketing team probably wouldn't go after a company who's paying them to use a patent.

a high visibility golf ball that is white and a neon pattern would be nice. The volviks are too bright off the tee but great when your in the ruff. The truvis balls don’t pop out to me like the volvik vivid.

A ball that creates its own tracer effect like a tracer bullet would be cool.

I mean one could do different colors throughout with a different pattern I would assume.
Do you think they would be viewed as just copying or would it be viewed as "different"?
Typically, it takes a 15% deviation in a design to avoid a patent infringement..well 15%, the balls to do it, and a lawyer who will fight it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's pretty amazing someone hasn't yet, I've been waiting for it for a bit now. I have to think another company comes up with some kind of pattern soon.

They trademarked the soccer ball pattern? That isn't something I would have thought possible.

Yeah, my feelings, too. I mean, I guess, if we assume they actually did trademark the pentagon shape, then other companies could always find something else that'd catch on. Triangle? Squares? Hexagon? Octagons?

So, about 1/2 way down that link:

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE SEVERAL VIEWS OF THE DRAWINGS

FIG. 1 is a flow chart of a method for printing an image at multiple locations on a golf ball.

FIG. 2 is a perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon.

FIG. 3 is a perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon.

FIG. 4 is a perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon.

FIG. 5 is a perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon.

FIG. 6 is a perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon.

FIG. 7 is a perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but am I the only one that wonders why they have figures in the patent with "perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon" when the Truvis does not have hexagons on it?

So, about 1/2 way down that link:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but am I the only one that wonders why they have figures in the patent with "perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images printed thereon" when the Truvis does not have hexagons on it?

Could be that is the “printable frame” that the process uses to print on that section of the ball. Pattern map of sorts maybe?

Could be that is the “printable frame” that the process uses to print on that section of the ball. Pattern map of sorts maybe?

I'm sure it makes sense to someone, but I'm trying to figure out why you'd have a "perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images" instead of a "perspective view of a golf ball with pentagon images".

I'm sure it makes sense to someone, but I'm trying to figure out why you'd have a "perspective view of a golf ball with hexagon images" instead of a "perspective view of a golf ball with pentagon images".

Because the dimples on the Callaway ball are hexagons, therefore I am sure the perspective view was matching those.

Because the Illuminati eye was already on a patent from Titleist?

Because the dimples on the Callaway ball are hexagons, therefore I am sure the perspective view was matching those.

Makes sense. When I look at a Truvis, the pentagons jump out. I never considered the dimples.

Like others, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened in some form. It really does seem inevitable.

10. The method according to claim 1 wherein the image is the color blue, red, orange, green or purple.

But isn’t their color of the image black on the yellow/black TruVis? Hmmm.... is it too late to apply for a patent where the color is black?

Back