Will Another Company Try Truvis Type Markings?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Truvis has been incredibly popular for Callaway and obviously no company can put out their own "Truvis". With that said, do you think a company comes with something similar in their design?

Second thread today that we were talking about recently. I am really kind of surprised that no one has done something similar as of yet. I think at least one of the ball manufactures will have something similar to the Truvis soon.

The Truvis has been incredibly popular for Callaway and obviously no company can put out their own "Truvis". With that said, do you think a company comes with something similar in their design?

I'd be willing to bet that there are a couple of applications at the trademark and/or patent office (not a lawyer or engineer, so not sure which applies or both). Honestly I'm surprised one hasn't come to market yet. Maybe it's still in research to find a design as effective?

Definitely. Truvis sales are too substantial ... other OEMs aren't going to let Calllaway have a monopoly on the concept.

Wouldn't it depend on how strong the Callaway Patent is?
"Truvis is a patented technology Callaway purchased and has the exclusive rights to in North America."

I've thought about this before but really, what would they do? Polka Dots? No thanks. Callaway hit a home run with the design of that ball.

Success brings copycats. Will be interesting how others get around the trademark. Although I don't see Titleist doing it.

Given the popularity, I'd have to think that someone will try to do something similar. Obviously it won't be soccer ball markings, but something to add a bit more "flair" to the golf ball.

I'm actually shocked it hasn't happened but Callaway may have been very creative with their patent verbiage which is causing others to tread carefully.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is interesting.. I haven't thought about this. I know Dean Snell has given information about adding color to a premium urethane ball which is why so many premium lines are only available in white. I believe he said the demand for a premium ball in a single color was low so it will be interesting to follow and see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't like them and wouldn't play them if they were given to me for free - but that said I'm surprised that we haven't already seen something similar come out from a competitor. I think it's just a matter of time before we see 'em hit the shelves.

They trademarked the soccer ball pattern? That isn't something I would have thought possible.

To answer the question, look at the soccer ball. Rarely are they constructed and designed with the traditional black and white polygons anymore, so maybe the same evolution happens in golf ball design?

I would imagine they would, maybe a smaller company? Don't thing Titleist will throw those on prov1s or anything but who knows

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Success brings copycats. Will be interesting how others get around the trademark. Although I don't see Titleist doing it.

I mean one could do different colors throughout with a different pattern I would assume.
Do you think they would be viewed as just copying or would it be viewed as "different"?

I mean one could do different colors throughout with a different pattern I would assume.
Do you think they would be viewed as just copying or would it be viewed as "different"?

I honestly think it would be viewed as copying. And depending how executed looked down on. I think Truvis disrupted the ball market in a good way and it will be hard for anyone else to create something that differentiating. I could be wrong, as I am sure the companies are trying to figure it how to compete with.

They trademarked the soccer ball pattern? That isn't something I would have thought possible.

To answer the question, look at the soccer ball. Rarely are they constructed and designed with the traditional black and white polygons anymore, so maybe the same evolution happens in golf ball design?

As long as there’s not a repeat of the “maxi pad ball”
d0f56f703e6033176880f4f4d0d05a83.jpeg

Absolutely and I'm not surprised they haven't done this already. I could see an inverted Truvis ball design (think the 1994 World Cup ball design). I think this would look awesome and can't wait to see new designs come out.

This is similar to the one I'm thinking of:
article-2666110-1F094A9500000578-817_634x628.jpg

With the success that Callaway has had and the market share that they've picked up I'm surprised no one has come out with an alternative.

I don't like them and wouldn't play them if they were given to me for free - but that said I'm surprised that we haven't already seen something similar come out from a competitor. I think it's just a matter of time before we see 'em hit the shelves.

Back in the 70's the 50/50 colored balls (similar to your avatar logo ) were fairly popular. I always liked seeing those two tone balls in golf shops and around the the courses. The USGA deemed them illegal, though, so that was that.

Probably. But, if ANYTHING might deter them IMO it would be the Callaway Social Media army unleashing wrath like they have in the past on things.

I think someone should copy it, its a great concept.

This is interesting l, but it looks like the patent only covers the method of printing the pattern on the ball.

If others can figure out a good way to do it, I bet we will see it. They'll be viewed as copycats, but that probably won't matter at all.

Do you think that is because of who is at the top or most vocal socially? Meaning if a smaller company or one not at the top copies, they kind of get a pass?
We saw that with TaylorMade and the white drivers. Small companies got a pass for the copying. Whereas if Ping would have jumped in, they would have been labeled (although Ping might be a bad example).

I’m not sure what companies would be able to come up with to match or surpass the unique design of the Truvis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back