add women to the President's Cup ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
About 25 years ago the PGA Tour, in an effort to grab some money from big time events like the 4 Majors and the Ryder Cup (none of which are owned or controlled by the Tour) established the President's Cup. Of the 12 matches Team USA has won 10, lost 1, tied 1. In 2019 the President's Cup is scheduled for Royal Melbourne, Australia. Tiger and Els are the respective team Captains.
As of today the Team USA points qualifying leaders are more or less the same as the USA Ryder Cup players. For the International Team Hideki,Cameron Smith, and CT Pan are the only "big names" within their current Top 10.
Compared to the Ryder Cup, I think the President's Cup seems to generate little interest. Does anybody have an idea or two that might help make the President's Cup a more compelling event ?
One idea I've had is to make each team a 50-50 mix of male and females. Considering the number of LPGA stars from Thailand, Korea, Japan etc... a male-female International Team would
likely be more competitive (against Team USA) than the traditional all male team rosters.

The lpga doesn’t draw much attention so how would adding them to an event that doesn’t garner the same attention as the Ryder cup to help.

The President's cup is where the RC was a couple of decades ago. The non-US aside just isn't good enough to make the event compelling. I don't think adding ladies does anything to change that equation. Maybe adding more countries to the mix for the other side???

The President's cup is where the RC was a couple of decades ago. The non-US aside just isn't good enough to make the event compelling. I don't think adding ladies does anything to change that equation. Maybe adding more countries to the mix for the other side???

Not really anyone left to add is there? Basically non-Europe vs the US already.

The lpga doesn’t draw much attention so how would adding them to an event that doesn’t garner the same attention as the Ryder cup to help.

Well, for one thing I expect that with 6 men and 6 women on each team the matches would be more competitive than in past President's Cups.
Also, by adding women to the event it becomes especially different from the Ryder Cup, and maybe that difference would help attract some interest.
There could also be some unique strategy involved, for example Captain's could choose whether to pair up man-man, man-woman, or woman-woman.
In general I think the President's Cup is perhaps not living up to what the PGA Tour had originally hoped it would become, so considering changes to the format is probably worthwhile. Top priority should be figuring out a way to make the International Team more competitive with Team USA.

I suggested this somewhere in another thread, it seems like it would balance the teams. The strength of the internationals is really with their women at the moment. I think it would make the event something of greater significance.

Or give them their own International event.

Well, for one thing I expect that with 6 men and 6 women on each team the matches would be more competitive than in past President's Cups.
Also, by adding women to the event it becomes especially different from the Ryder Cup, and maybe that difference would help attract some interest.
There could also be some unique strategy involved, for example Captain's could choose whether to pair up man-man, man-woman, or woman-woman.
In general I think the President's Cup is perhaps not living up to what the PGA Tour had originally hoped it would become, so considering changes to the format is probably worthwhile. Top priority should be figuring out a way to make the International Team more competitive with Team USA.

So let's look at the US team of men and who would you leave off in favor of 6 women of whom I think most golf fans would only care to see 3-4 of on the course? Top 6 US women right now in world rankings are Lexi, Jessica Korda, Wie, Christie Kerr, Lizette Salas, Danielle Kang.

Current mens Ryder Cup team plus those who could has easily been a captains pick
Tiger, Fowler, Daj, Brooks, Reed, Bubba, Phil, Spieth, JT, Simpson, Bryson, Finau, Kisner, Cook, Schauffele, Cantlay

I'll use world rankings for the rest of the women too, how do you choose between the 16 non US women in the top 20 rankings? Of whom only one is from Europe

I think a better option to change it up from Ryder Cup as mentioned below in reply to OITW is to do something like the International Crown.

Assuming you are stalking about the women who have Solheim Cup and International a Crown. I wouldn't mind seeing Presidents cup move to the format used by the International Crown.

So let's look at the US team of men and who would you leave off in favor of 6 women of whom I think most golf fans would only care to see 3-4 of on the course? Top 6 US women right now in world rankings are Lexi, Jessica Korda, Wie, Christie Kerr, Lizette Salas, Danielle Kang.

Current mens Ryder Cup team plus those who could has easily been a captains pick
Tiger, Fowler, Daj, Brooks, Reed, Bubba, Phil, Spieth, JT, Simpson, Bryson, Finau, Kisner, Cook, Schauffele, Cantlay

I'll use world rankings for the rest of the women too, how do you choose between the 16 non US women in the top 20 rankings? Of whom only one is from Europe

I think a better option to change it up from Ryder Cup as mentioned below in reply to OITW is to do something like the International Crown.

Assuming you are stalking about the women who have Solheim Cup and International a Crown. I wouldn't mind seeing Presidents cup move to the format used by the International Crown.

As you've written, most of the top ranked female pros are from the International side (Thailand-Korea-Japan). So, having 6 of those those top ranked International women would likely make the President's Cup a more competitive event. Considering how few American's are high in the LPGA rankings, the International Team might even be favored to win the event.
Having 6-man-6-woman teams might be of great interest to golf spectators, but probably not. Women's golf has never had near the popularity of men's golf, so it is unlikely adding women to the President's Cup would turn that event's popularity around. But it's a thought, anyway.
Another thought I had is to keep the President's Cup all males butt instead of the usual 14 clubs in the bag players would have to make do with only 6 clubs. Wild idea I know but it would be interesting to see the world's best players doing something totally different from their usual play.

For that strategy concept, what if you made all the pairs 1 man/1 woman? Since LPGA plays between 6200-6600, maybe you need 3 sets of tees- men, mixed (alternate shot), women. I really don't know.

For some reason, that idea really interests me.

Do you want less people to care about it?

For that strategy concept, what if you made all the pairs 1 man/1 woman? Since LPGA plays between 6200-6600, maybe you need 3 sets of tees- men, mixed (alternate shot), women. I really don't know.

For some reason, that idea really interests me.

I don't see a need for three sets of tee. Men play from back, women forward. For what circumstance are you thinking men and women should play from the same tee box ? Remember in alternate shot only one player is striking a tee shot.
Regarding pairings, I could see it be interesting if Captain's could have their own strategy. Some could go man-man, some could go woman-woman, and some could go mixed. Or, as you wrote mandatory mixed could work as well, and that too would invoke some strategy.

LOL. You're probably right that a man-woman President's Cup might make things worse.
What about my "6 club event" idea. Also a dud ?

LOL. You're probably right that a man-woman President's Cup might make things worse.
What about my "6 club event" idea. Also a dud ?

The only thing that would make the Presidents Cup interesting would be if the event produced actual drama. It's clear the US Men don't care about team play and the International Team is half full of terrible players.

I don't see a need for three sets of tee. Men play from back, women forward. For what circumstance are you thinking men and women should play from the same tee box ? Remember in alternate shot only one player is striking a tee shot.
Regarding pairings, I could see it be interesting if Captain's could have their own strategy. Some could go man-man, some could go woman-woman, and some could go mixed. Or, as you wrote mandatory mixed could work as well, and that too would invoke some strategy.

I considered having the tee chosen by gender in alternate shot, but then I thought that hazards might come into play in unexpected ways on 2nd shots, so I went with mixed. Either way it's intriguing to me, although it would probably have zero or negative effect on the event.

My thoughts exactly.

No offense to the LPGA, but I have zero desire to watch women’s golf.

No. A thousand times no.

I like it. I wish the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour did more co-gender team events. Golf is one of the few sports were you can meaningfully team the men and women together. I think it would be fun, it'd be good for growing the game, and, I think, it'd be a real win for the LPGA to get their ladies more exposure from a bigger audience.

Isn't the President's Cup already the entire rest of the world excluding Europe?

The only thing that would make the Presidents Cup interesting would be if the event produced actual drama. It's clear the US Men don't care about team play and the International Team is half full of terrible players.

I think that can be done with innovative broadcasting. Have the players and caddies mic'd up on the course, listen to how they interact and even do how the MLB does in the All Star Game where you have interviews with the players during the round. Make it more appealing to the audience and it will grow, thus making the event bigger and more meaningful.

Don't they already have an international event?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like women playing golf is something that shouldn't be allowed.....?

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like women playing golf is something that shouldn't be allowed.....?

That’s not what us being said. We are saying adding women isn’t going to raise the interest level in the event. A good as the professional ladies are the interest from the general golf audience isn’t there. Ladies euro tour is close to collapse and tv coverage for lpga is terrible because it doesn’t draw audience do we get the coverage on off hours or in tape delay.

No, and they need a professional tour as well.

Women have two international events. The Somheim Cup every other year and the international crown the opposite years which btw is going on this week

"i wish the lpga had more exposure"

> suggestion inserting top lpga players into international glorified exhibition for exposure

"nooooooooo"

Back