Lynford

Reaction score
Handicap
4 or 5 different putters in the last few weeks, Aimpoint and then not Aimpoint, then back again, left below right, right below left.

He has issues, and if they aren’t addressed properly soon I can see him destroying a potentially great career.

4 or 5 different putters in the last few weeks, Aimpoint and then not Aimpoint, then back again, left below right, right below left.

He has issues, and if they aren’t addressed properly soon I can see him destroying a potentially great career.

Lots of guys suffer from inconsistent and, or, poor putting. It's the number one reason a player loses his Tour card.
I expect DJ will find a technique and, or, putter that works for him and he'll be just fine. The arm-lock style used by Kuchar-Bradley-Simpson could be the method many more players will start using.

It definitely is hurting his game, I'm sure he'll figure it out though, he is the world number 1.

He's a tinkerer. Maybe he finds something that will stick long term.

If he were #120 in the world and falling every week I'd be slightly concerned about the switching.

As often as he seemed like he was searching for something this year, he was still 30th in Strokes Gained putting for the 2018 season, which is his best ranking in the last 4 years. '15: 72, '16: 36, '17: 81. I tend to think most of his switching is trying to find something comfortable with at that given time. I really don't see it ruining his career at this point, because numbers don't show him to be an awful putter. When he approaches a drop like Spieth has had(139th in Strokes Gained Putting), then we can have that discussion.

dj is a curious one for me. his peers seem to say he has the most raw talent of anyone on tour. his driver has been a little suspect lately, but even when he's on he messes with loft, shafts, even head iirc. my point is he will mess with what many consider to be the strongest part of his game.

but to the putting, i mentioned in another thread awhile back that dj is a headcase with the putter, and i still think that. he is all over the place trying to find a spark. he seems to find something, but moves on almost as quickly as he tries it.

but hey, he has a victory in every year he has ever played on tour. that's freaking amazing.

DJ

DJ

dj is a curious one for me. his peers seem to say he has the most raw talent of anyone on tour. his driver has been a little suspect lately, but even when he's on he messes with loft, shafts, even head iirc. my point is he will mess with what many consider to be the strongest part of his game.

but to the putting, i mentioned in another thread awhile back that dj is a headcase with the putter, and i still think that. he is all over the place trying to find a spark. he seems to find something, but moves on almost as quickly as he tries it.

but hey, he has a victory in every year he has ever played on tour. that's freaking amazing.

Seems to me he is probably frustrated with his somewhat inconsistent putting and the way he has mastered other parts of his game (wedges, driver) he probably feels he should be able to master putting as well so he keeps searching. I kind of like it.

As often as he seemed like he was searching for something this year, he was still 30th in Strokes Gained putting for the 2018 season, which is his best ranking in the last 4 years. '15: 72, '16: 36, '17: 81. I tend to think most of his switching is trying to find something comfortable with at that given time. I really don't see it ruining his career at this point, because numbers don't show him to be an awful putter. When he approaches a drop like Spieth has had(139th in Strokes Gained Putting), then we can have that discussion.
I would never have guessed this was his best year.

I also knew Spieth had struggled, no idea it was that bad. I thought he regressed to the mean a bit, not fallen to the bottom.

I would never have guessed this was his best year.

I also knew Spieth had struggled, no idea it was that bad. I thought he regressed to the mean a bit, not fallen to the bottom.

Ehhhhh. To me it all goes back to there not being a dominant player of this era. Seems like someone charges ahead and gets to world #1. Obviously it takes a ton to get there. No one is hanging on to it though. A good conversation might be, why? Is it lack of commitment? Parity?

My best guess is a lack of commitment. How someone goes from the worlds best putter to outside the top 125 blows my mind. I don't know and doubt that he was the #1 statistical putter then but if I had to stake my life on someone making a 15 footer I'd have chosen him.

I am almost the same age as Tiger so I have witnessed a truly dominant player. No one wants to step up anymore. Or maybe no one can't? Either way there are a ton of very good players right now but no one is maintaining any level of greatness. World number one is a weekly flip/flop.

Lots of guys are right there that just can't separate. I want to see someone once again that you just knew they were going to win when they teed it up on Thursday. The top ten are interchangeable weekly. When someone gets firmly there they slide on down. They go from the best "blank" of the ball in the world to outside of the top 100.

I guess we just need to see Tiger have one more dominant year. Just one. Maybe it would show this next generation what it takes to be a true #1.

This isn't disparaging him, but when Justin Rose rises to #1, someone is dropping the ball. Very consistent guy but does anyone actually think he's the best player in the world? According to the rankings he briefly was. Which goes back to no one stepping up and firmly taking it.

Back