Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I'm trying to decide between the Fujikura Evolution TS II 665 or Aldila Rogue Silver 70 in my GBB. The former is available now and the Aldila will be at Golf Mart on Monday. Should I scoop up the Fuji or wait on the Aldila?

I vote for fuji

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any particular reason why?

Personal preference in feel and ball flight. I hit the speeder higher and with better control over the rogue. The rogue felt dead to me.

Personal preference in feel and ball flight. I hit the speeder higher and with better control over the rogue. The rogue felt dead to me.

Same. Rogue was flat and didn't feel right. Weird kickpoint and flex for me.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Yesterday was a good day for myself and GBB on the course with a fellow THPer. Hit mostly fairways. Hitting it as long as I have been. And the confidence is so high with it, I found myself pulling it on the tighter holes where I normally go with something else.

I'm not sure how you can hit a draw when you bring the club back inside and come out over the top on the way down? Maybe I misunderstood or you meant something else. Either way sorry it didn't work out for you. It is a great head.

I am not OTT, I swing slightly inside on backswing, and downswing back to the ball from the inside to out. I can also back swing slightly outside the line, and downswing down the line for straight shots, or even more to fade. I can swing like Furyk a little, and design iron shots on plane to the ball, that's how I work it left right. Thanks for your tips, I will keep trying to groove a shot till G25 arrives. I have only been to the range with it once...most play has been on 18's
Usually I can find what works after 1/2 a basket of balls or less, being a club builder I have hit everything and usually can adapt very easily...perhaps I am just off right now

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between the Fujikura Evolution TS II 665 or Aldila Rogue Silver 70 in my GBB. The former is available now and the Aldila will be at Golf Mart on Monday. Should I scoop up the Fuji or wait on the Aldila?

Agree with BigCountryStein: Fiji over Rogue. Fuji 665 plays tad softer to flex, and is lighter than 70. Try 765. I had a 665x and it was around 258cpm (S+), tad soft for me, I launched it Med/low as I was de-lofting the head under load, however it kept its line, and would not leak right, I was impressed with the smooth feel and hot ball flights. Fuji has HIT technology, and many others that they have developed over the years all in the shaft. I think Aldila has has high quality materials reducing torque (110msi), (RIP tip), however it does kinda feel dead.
I am noticing over a few shafts...'made for' Fuji's are type1 shafts (one spine) similar to Attas, were real deals are type2 shafts (2 spines 180* apart). That's what I have tested, with not too many shafts. No one shaft is exactly the same by any company...is what it is...

Hitting the course today for the first time with my GBB, I have several shafts to try out so hopefully I leave the course today with the GBB in the bag as my gamer.

Hitting the course today for the first time with my GBB, I have several shafts to try out so hopefully I leave the course today with the GBB in the bag as my gamer.
Good luck with it buddy. My first swings with mine will come tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I vote for fuji

Same. Rogue was flat and didn't feel right. Weird kickpoint and flex for me.

Agree with BigCountryStein: Fiji over Rogue. Fuji 665 plays tad softer to flex, and is lighter than 70. Try 765. I had a 665x and it was around 258cpm (S+), tad soft for me, I launched it Med/low as I was de-lofting the head under load, however it kept its line, and would not leak right, I was impressed with the smooth feel and hot ball flights. Fuji has HIT technology, and many others that they have developed over the years all in the shaft. I think Aldila has has high quality materials reducing torque (110msi), (RIP tip), however it does kinda feel dead.
I am noticing over a few shafts...'made for' Fuji's are type1 shafts (one spine) similar to Attas, were real deals are type2 shafts (2 spines 180* apart). That's what I have tested, with not too many shafts. No one shaft is exactly the same by any company...is what it is...

Thanks gents! I believe the manager at Golf Mart ordered one with the white Speeder shaft, but they have the Evolution on the shelf now. I'm going to verify which one he ordered and see how it feels on the sim today. I appreciate the input!

So I got on the sim and hit around 20ish balls with each shaft and for me the Speeder was the right choice. My misses weren't as severe and my longest drives were in the 290s. I'm set to N +2 right now as I was still hitting it a little low at 10.5º. I'm very pleased with it and once El Nino calms the hell down I'll be getting out and assaulting some of the local courses!

Last edited:
AD DI-6x and GBB = No bueno. Lots of misses left today, moreso than any other previous session. More write up later.

Anyone playing the GBB with the Rogue Black 60? Going to try it tomorrow for first time.

Ranged GBB today and managed to start hitting center, 1/4 to 1/2 inch toe side to engage the hot spot. I Took Big Steins advice and gave my posture some more room, set up a tad further away & bending from the hips a tad more with the chevron lined up on the inside of the ball. It felt like I was giving the ball a lot of space, and swinging a little more upright. Felt like I was deliberately trying to hit out on the toe. Was hitting center to toe side and getting some long drives. The hot spot area is not that big, and most thin shots anywhere are not that good low heal are the worst for me
I added more mass behind the ball, a washer (1g) under the weight (4g) with some lead tape (1/8"x 2") wrapped around it to SW D5, then cut the ferrule off ( useless 1 SW point doing nothing) to get back to D4 again. It was hitting very solid and ball speed was noticeably up more, 757 was kicking a touch more with the extra head weight. R-moto seemed like it was working more...it was the hottest flights yet. I think extra weight in the weight port is better than my lead tape on the rear pear that I pealed off, unlike 816 that I felt had too much weight up front.
Hit some BIG shots, that had high peak height, that seemed like 50y longer than a miss hit to eye. I was nutting it 2-3 times every 5 shots. Still not good for my bag/18, but see how tomorrows round goes with distance & consistancy. I was hitting the rest of my bag fine.

Last edited:

Patiently waiting for your findings

Hit 4 FW's today...prob my worst driving round in a long time...Duck Hooky...not one fully solid shot. GBB is to be replaced. Shot even par 72, thanks to the smooth rolled greens I made some putts (30)

Got the GBB out yesterday for a round, unfortunately the range was closed so I just had to jump into it. My first round I had the 9* head up +2*, I went down to +1* and I like the ball flight better and gained some distance. It was around 50* and the course was soggy so I was getting zero roll, but was still regularly in the 265-270 yard range, some longer and some shorter. Started with the APW at full draw and moved it a little closer to the neutral setting, I think I'll probably leave it there for a while, I was happy with the dispersion at that setting for now. So far in my short time with this driver, it's been the best one I've owned all around. Hope it's not just the honeymoon phase, but my misses are even still in play most of the time unless my swing completely breaks down.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Good lord I hit this well today both on FlightScope and during the round with THPers. No matter where on the face I made contact the ball just went.

I just can't seem to figure this club out. Lead tape will be applied tonight

Good lord I hit this well today both on FlightScope and during the round with THPers. No matter where on the face I made contact the ball just went.

You should play it until it literally breaks. I have NEVER seen you hit driver like you do with this. Its impressive to watch.

I ordered mine yesterday with the Speeder 661 shaft. Really really pumped. Gained about 10 yards distance, 15 yards peak height, and a lot tighter dispersion according to trackman.

Good to hear JB you think the Lord is good...correct?

You should play it until it literally breaks. I have NEVER seen you hit driver like you do with this. Its impressive to watch.

Since making the switch, I am further off the tee, closer to the middle and scoring better.
Its the only thing that has changed.

Since making the switch, I am further off the tee, closer to the middle and scoring better.
Its the only thing that has changed.
Hey, seeing is believing, and you hit some DEEP shots with this and the Grandura. Its fun as hell to watch.

After not hitting this club for more than a month. I took it out at the range, just like I remembered. Loooong! Hit maybe 6 balls with it and put it away. She's staying in my bag for a long while,

Back