Streamsong and World of Woods

cj3ap2

Reaction score
Handicap
15ish
Hello Hackers

I am traveling to Florida this weekend to play Streamsong Red and the two World of Woods courses. If any of you have played any of these three courses and have any advice/thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

I will post a summary/review of my experience in this thread next week.

Cant comment on Streamsong... yet.

Both World Woods courses are very good tests. Not ridiculously tricked up, but no pushovers from the correct tees. 2 distinct styles of courses, yet similar in feel considering they are Florida courses. Get there plenty early to make use of the range and "practice holes" they have available. There is also a short course on site as well. Pine Barrens will have a few more "forced" carries over the waste areas, while Rolling Oaks plays a *bit* tighter but not hallway narrow.
They should be in great shape since they're usually aerated in late Summer from what I remember from playing there over the years while visiting my Parents. As with a lot of Florida courses with water around- don't go clomping off into the muck looking for balls... Snakes are plentiful- even the dryer courses with scrub palms will possibly be Rattlesnake territory.

Bring a few extra rocks and have a good time. (and bring some bug spray if you have that sweet blood)

please report back on your experience at world woods. i was there many years ago and it was awesome, then i heard it really went downhill.

i think i'm in the minority in not being impressed at all with streamsong. it has some nice views, but for the money i think there are FAR better courses in florida that offer better value. the food on property is actually really good (but expensive), and the rooms are awesome. the spa is nothing to write home about. my wife enjoyed the pool area :)

World Woods is a great set up , enjoy it.

If you get a spare afternoon, try TPC Tampa.

please report back on your experience at world woods. i was there many years ago and it was awesome, then i heard it really went downhill.

i think i'm in the minority in not being impressed at all with streamsong. it has some nice views, but for the money i think there are FAR better courses in florida that offer better value. the food on property is actually really good (but expensive), and the rooms are awesome. the spa is nothing to write home about. my wife enjoyed the pool area :)

It’s still downhill, IMO

I played both Rolling Oaks and Pine Barrens last fall and really enjoyed both of them. My next door neighbor grew up around there and told me about them.
When we get back there, we will definitely play them again.

Played World Woods last year. Stayed five days at a Villa and golfed 36/54 everyday. We had the course to ourselves it seemed like. Staff is great. I had a Bombtech driver delivered there and they brought it out to me on the course.

I liked Rolling Oaks better. The number one handicap at Pine Barrens (can't remember what hole it was) was #1 handicap for a reason. It has a forced carry off the tee that isn't too bad. It's the second shot that got me everyday. double triple bogey till I figured out to lay up and play for a bogey.

Played World Woods last year. Stayed five days at a Villa and golfed 36/54 everyday. We had the course to ourselves it seemed like. Staff is great. I had a Bombtech driver delivered there and they brought it out to me on the course.

I liked Rolling Oaks better. The number one handicap at Pine Barrens (can't remember what hole it was) was #1 handicap for a reason. It has a forced carry off the tee that isn't too bad. It's the second shot that got me everyday. double triple bogey till I figured out to lay up and play for a bogey.

Hole 12. It’s a long downhill par 4 that has two greens. The one on the right is really uphill and has a nasty bunker that’s about 20 or so yards long so you have to really trust your number or you’re gonna be in a stupid situation.

Hole 12. It’s a long downhill par 4 that has two greens. The one on the right is really uphill and has a nasty bunker that’s about 20 or so yards long so you have to really trust your number or you’re gonna be in a stupid situation.
I LOVE that hole, so much fun. I just call it a reachable par 5 and go for it.

You are playing some of my favorite courses in Florida. I hear alot of chatter about poor conditions at World Woods but Everytime I play it the conditions are positive. Pine Barrens probably isn't in quite as good if shape as it should be for a course of the stature, but I've never had it impact the way the course plays.

Streamsong Red is alot of fun, definitely get a caddie or play with someone who knows it, it definitely impacts how enjoyable it is when you know where you should be aiming.

I LOVE that hole, so much fun. I just call it a reachable par 5 and go for it.

You are playing some of my favorite courses in Florida. I hear alot of chatter about poor conditions at World Woods but Everytime I play it the conditions are positive. Pine Barrens probably isn't in quite as good if shape as it should be for a course of the stature, but I've never had it impact the way the course plays.

Streamsong Red is alot of fun, definitely get a caddie or play with someone who knows it, it definitely impacts how enjoyable it is when you know where you should be aiming.

For me, yeah it’s basically a short par 5 in my mind. It’s not impossible to make par on, but I’m pretty happy walking away with 5 there, especially if I wind up in that sand. Ugh.

Sorry but this World of Woods place makes me think of Warcraft lol

Played Streamsong Blue the year they opened. I really enjoyed it personally. It was my first "big boy" course. Blue is the easiest of the three I believe. Middle of nowhere though. Good service at SS though and I wouldn't hesitate going back. Cannot comment on World Woods although heard great things.

Played all three, plus the Blue a couple of years ago. Pine Barrens was my favorite of the four and I didn't have any issues with the course being in bad shape. They did play a Florida mini-tour event there that morning, so maybe that had something to do with the better than advertised condition. I don't remember either course at WW being too difficult, but Rolling Oaks was very "meh" with the exception of a beautiful downhill par-3. Pine Barrens had forced carries, double greens, drivable par-4's, reachable par-5's. Loved the variety of the course.

Streamsong was very picturesque and definitely a high-quality resort. There is nothing nearby (with the exception of a really nice diner about 20 minutes away) so plan your food accordingly. I wasn't a fan of their restaurant service but I've heard others had better experience than I did. I would recommend the Blue course over the Red if you haven't already played it. I hear fantastic things about the Black course as well (it wasn't complete when I played). The problem I had with the Red is the same issue I have with many Coore & Crenshaw designed courses: variety. Maybe their design aesthetic doesn't suit me but I found none of their holes to be particularly memorable. The course just blends together into one (good) experience but it's just not for me. I like to play courses that have highlight holes or a strong variety of holes that require you to execute different shots. Streamsong Red fell flat for me in this department. If you don't mind that, then I feel you'll enjoy it as it is a good test of high quality golf.

As for tips: get a caddie (there are times of year that carts are allowed, but I'm not sure when). I walked the first round without a caddie at Streamsong and regretted it. Lots of sand to walk over and hills to climb. Grabbed a caddie the second time around and it was a much better experience.

I haven't played Streamsong courses----so can't comment.

I played Pine Barrens a few weeks ago.

The course itself was just OK in my opinion.

It was in pretty good condition.

Unfortunately, the pace was fairly slow on a Friday morning. It took 4:45 to complete the round with a lot of waiting around to tee off/hit approaches.

No rangers either.

I'll go back at some point but am in no rush.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Played all three, plus the Blue a couple of years ago. Pine Barrens was my favorite of the four and I didn't have any issues with the course being in bad shape. They did play a Florida mini-tour event there that morning, so maybe that had something to do with the better than advertised condition. I don't remember either course at WW being too difficult, but Rolling Oaks was very "meh" with the exception of a beautiful downhill par-3. Pine Barrens had forced carries, double greens, drivable par-4's, reachable par-5's. Loved the variety of the course.

Streamsong was very picturesque and definitely a high-quality resort. There is nothing nearby (with the exception of a really nice diner about 20 minutes away) so plan your food accordingly. I wasn't a fan of their restaurant service but I've heard others had better experience than I did. I would recommend the Blue course over the Red if you haven't already played it. I hear fantastic things about the Black course as well (it wasn't complete when I played). The problem I had with the Red is the same issue I have with many Coore & Crenshaw designed courses: variety. Maybe their design aesthetic doesn't suit me but I found none of their holes to be particularly memorable. The course just blends together into one (good) experience but it's just not for me. I like to play courses that have highlight holes or a strong variety of holes that require you to execute different shots. Streamsong Red fell flat for me in this department. If you don't mind that, then I feel you'll enjoy it as it is a good test of high quality golf.

As for tips: get a caddie (there are times of year that carts are allowed, but I'm not sure when). I walked the first round without a caddie at Streamsong and regretted it. Lots of sand to walk over and hills to climb. Grabbed a caddie the second time around and it was a much better experience.
I'm curious as to what the diner was? Something in Ft Meade I presume?

I'm curious as to what the diner was? Something in Ft Meade I presume?

Just did a quick google search. Kiki's Egg House; they had great omelettes.

Thanks for all the feedback folks! I will be sure to report my experiences.

The caddy point is an interesting one. I've never had a caddy before, my friend has and did not like the experience. When he booked the tee time he pitched it to me as 18 walking, no caddy. (I guess, as someone mentioned earlier, they have carts this time of year, but a caddy is required with a cart. Probably to prevent people from driving where they are not supposed to.) I prefer to walk, so that was good enough for me, but I'll have to see about the caddy thing. Would they have yardage books there so I can get an idea of the layout? That's really my big concern on a course I've never played before, knowing where to aim.

Back