Cut Golf in Retail

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been hearing some news that Cut Golf balls will be available at select retailers coming up. To start, my gut tells me CA region and expanding from there based on success. At $20 a dozen for urethane golf balls, do you think being in stores will get them in more hands?

Yes, although I wonder if costs will go up as well. I think it will transition from a cult classic to a good low cost ball. Should be a good move

• Admin
Yes, although I wonder if costs will go up as well. I think it will transition from a cult classic to a good low cost ball. Should be a good move

Im being told cost will remain the same, outside of sales tax obviously.
It's an interesting thought and I wonder in huge stores like PGA SuperStore or Roger Dunn if it can suddenly move the needle.

I actually enjoyed testing these. Good to hear

Being sold in stores has to get them in front of more people doesn't it? Should increase in sales, though I'm guessing the average joe will probably see them as a cheap golf ball based on price and not knowing anything about it. From my brief testing with these they were ok but store or not I wouldn't be buying them...at least not for myself.

• Admin
Being sold in stores has to get them in front of more people doesn't it? Should increase in sales, though I'm guessing the average joe will probably see them as a cheap golf ball based on price and not knowing anything about it. From my brief testing with these they were ok but store or not I wouldn't be buying them...at least not for myself.

This is a really interesting thought and one I circle back to a lot when speaking of products. Cheaper is sometimes viewed as less premium of a product and sometimes viewed as a bargain, depending on where the message came from.

This is a really interesting thought and one I circle back to a lot when speaking of products. Cheaper is sometimes viewed as less premium of a product and sometimes viewed as a bargain, depending on where the message came from.

I think it comes across that way to the person who is not informed, its just the nature of the retail consumer. However there are those that don't care and will still purchase the product because they are always looking for a bargain, plus there is the possibility that the name of the product won't be doing them any favors on the shelf.

Seems like a big business risk - Going retail has to erode margins I'd imagine.
Plus there has to be more AD spend to get the word out.

Question is: Can you sell enough in volume to make up the difference?

They're gonna have to revise their packaging and product displays for the lay consumer.

Like anything retail if there's suddenly a brand that is half the price on the shelf I'm going to automatically assume knock off. They're gonna have to prove me wrong!

I would think this would put them in competition with the Top Flite Gamer level of ball in DSG type of store. The retail customers that are buying ProV1, Chrome Soft, TP5 etc are probably going to view them as an inferior product.

For a D2C to go the retail route and keep prices the same, either profits will take a hit or costs (thinking along the lines of shipping charges, maybe).

I'm quite surprised they are doing this. The Snell and Vice out there as the dominant D2C, that I am aware of, seem to be doing decent. The problem is going to be getting the story out there about their product and trying to get the buzz about a low priced urethane ball (ala Kirkland Pro Sig). I wish them success, but it's probably going to be tough, according to my numerous episodes of watching Shark Tank.

If there is any marketing attached to the move I think they’ll be successful to some degree or another. But if not I think they’ll get lost in the shuffle of the cheap stuff.

For a D2C to go the retail route and keep prices the same, either profits will take a hit or costs (thinking along the lines of shipping charges, maybe).

I'm quite surprised they are doing this. The Snell and Vice out there as the dominant D2C, that I am aware of, seem to be doing decent. The problem is going to be getting the story out there about their product and trying to get the buzz about a low priced urethane ball (ala Kirkland Pro Sig). I wish them success, but it's probably going to be tough, according to my numerous episodes of watching Shark Tank.

I tend to agree with you, at the same time wondering if its a holiday push to steer more people to the brand as DTC. Let's assume that is the case (no idea, but my best guess is), if it works, the cost of acquisition of a customer I would think would be pretty low (hit on margins) vs other avenues.

This all coupled with displays and where they are put. The new box is bold, an in your face to say "try me", although wish it said urethane right on front. So from that aspect, being in some bigger trafficked stores says "good move".
The flip side is the marketing. Vice was kind of first, so they are still there. Snell has Dean Snell and his R&D background speaks for itself. Cut has price. My personal view is their instagram marketing was going after a different golfer than the core golfer and I am not sure that is sustainable. Being the fun brand works, if there is tech to not only back it up, but also deliver in different, creative ways. I suspect we see a shift towards the core golfer, because they believe their golf ball to be as good as any out there and with that thought internally, the message should be about that.

With all of that said, these are just the opinions of a lunatic that spends way too much time following trends in the marketplace : )

I think this is good for exposure, however it makes me wonder how many people will go for it, I know what I want for a ball and when I'm in store I beeline right to the ones I want grab them and peek at the others.

I think the one thing that makes me think it won't move the needle is the golf store by me has a ton and I mean most versions of the Honma balls with crazy cool packaging and I've yet to grab a box even though i keep saying I should.

If it increases visibility and pulls more customers in I think it's great, but I don't think it will happen.

I think another thing to factor in is sales tax too from the store compared to shipped online.

I tend to agree with you, at the same time wondering if its a holiday push to steer more people to the brand as DTC. Let's assume that is the case (no idea, but my best guess is), if it works, the cost of acquisition of a customer I would think would be pretty low (hit on margins) vs other avenues.

This all coupled with displays and where they are put. The new box is bold, an in your face to say "try me", although wish it said urethane right on front. So from that aspect, being in some bigger trafficked stores says "good move".
The flip side is the marketing. Vice was kind of first, so they are still there. Snell has Dean Snell and his R&D background speaks for itself. Cut has price. My personal view is their instagram marketing was going after a different golfer than the core golfer and I am not sure that is sustainable. Being the fun brand works, if there is tech to not only back it up, but also deliver in different, creative ways. I suspect we see a shift towards the core golfer, because they believe their golf ball to be as good as any out there and with that thought internally, the message should be about that.

With all of that said, these are just the opinions of a lunatic that spends way too much time following trends in the marketplace : )

I have not seen the new packaging, but this to me is a huge mistake. Why would you be omitting the fact that you're getting a TOUR golf ball material cover on this ball that costs approximately half of what the market leader charges? Let's be honest, that is the draw to get someone to try an unknown in the risk vs reward analysis. You see urethane with a $24.95 price tag, right or wrong, people either think "This thing is going to be cheap, I don't want that stuff *grabs sleeve of ProV1 or Chrome Soft*" or "Hey, this is about the same price as a [insert any surlyn 2 piece ball] but with a urethane cover, I'll give it a try." It's going to take information to enlighten the customer to give them a try. Maybe they can get some FB ads to pop up or something to get the word out with the "move to retail" being touted, that seems to be how Vice is getting their message to me as well as other smaller start ups in the industry, like Dollar Driver Club.

I have not seen the new packaging, but this to me is a huge mistake. Why would you be omitting the fact that you're getting a TOUR golf ball material cover on this ball that costs approximately half of what the market leader charges? Let's be honest, that is the draw to get someone to try an unknown in the risk vs reward analysis. You see urethane with a $24.95 price tag, right or wrong, people either think "This thing is going to be cheap, I don't want that stuff *grabs sleeve of ProV1 or Chrome Soft*" or "Hey, this is about the same price as a [insert any surlyn 2 piece ball] but with a urethane cover, I'll give it a try." It's going to take information to enlighten the customer to give them a try. Maybe they can get some FB ads to pop up or something to get the word out with the "move to retail" being touted, that seems to be how Vice is getting their message to me as well as other smaller start ups in the industry, like Dollar Driver Club.

846fc6d5ca0d1517308c5435cb6d6d69.jpg

Well I'll give them Credit - they highlighted in the Red the two important phrases: "Tour Quality" and "Affordable"

FWIW: I agree with you @JB on the Cut's Instagram marketed audience - Seems like they are after the "Young Professional Once a While Golfer", not the hard core golfer as you suggest.

I have been hearing some news that Cut Golf balls will be available at select retailers coming up. To start, my gut tells me CA region and expanding from there based on success. At $20 a dozen for urethane golf balls, do you think being in stores will get them in more hands?

I thought the marketing strategy of these types of companies are "eliminating the middle man" -- If they maintain the price structure, were they overcharging us off buying direct?

My biggest beef with Cut (and Vice and Snell actually) is that I don't like their overly large names on the ball. It just doesn't look good to me. Having them locally might do well to the every day golfer (assuming it says COMPARED TO PROV1 on the side of the display), but it doesn't do anything for me.

I thought the marketing strategy of these types of companies are "eliminating the middle man" -- If they maintain the price structure, were they overcharging us off buying direct?

My biggest beef with Cut (and Vice and Snell actually) is that I don't like their overly large names on the ball. It just doesn't look good to me. Having them locally might do well to the every day golfer (assuming it says COMPARED TO PROV1 on the side of the display), but it doesn't do anything for me.

I actually think Snell is similar in size to TP5 on the TM ball.

Ok, not bad. Definitely getting the Vice vibe there with the wording.

They did provide bulk discounts too, right? Maybe that's playing into it a little more than we think. Plus outrageous shipping charges can add up. But you might be onto something there.

I know several guys who would jump on this in retail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was able to test a couple sleeves of the Blue, I really liked it. It really is one of the best values out there.

I would definitely buy the Cut Grey at retail if they were available. I am really interested in seeing how these works out for them.

I would think that it would have to help them grow the business. I think the retail presence at those great prices will, at least initially for those unfamiliar with Cut balls, have people whipping out their smart phones to look at their website to learn more about the balls and that should certainly lead to some impulse buys. Can't see any negatives to expanding their business as long as the price points stay very reasonably.

With some of the recent TV advertising getting into box stores I think will move sales needle... not significantly but I feel it will help their sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back