If I'm not playing golf due to rule apathy, what the heck AM I playing?

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
Just want to know.

You're having a good time

You are enjoying the game how you want to play it. And having fun. Simple as that.

Enjoying the outdoors, the birds & the wind thru your hair, etc. C'mon really? :act-up:

Enjoying the outdoors, the birds & the wind thru your hair, etc. C'mon really? :act-up:

I love feeling the breeze stir the 1/4" locks of hair on my dome!

I would say enjoying the game.

Pretty much me every time I go out, playing golf... not competing in golf. It's about enjoying the most frustrating relaxing game on the planet.

Rebel that I am!

In another thread I posed the question (to those who play by the Rules of Golf during tournaments but by their own Rules the rest of the time), whether they find the rounds played by the Rules of Golf are more satisfying .I believe a primary reason that the USGA/ R&A have established Rules is because those organizations believe playing by the Rules actually enhances the game, makes it more rewarding/fun.
Anyone who plays tournaments (Rules) and other rounds without observing the Rules, may answer the question for themselves.
My own preference is to play by the Rules because doing so compels me to focus more on the shots I am playing, focus more on shooting a low score etc... Rounds where I have my sharpest focus are the most fun, most rewarding.

Just want to know.

If you're not playing golf, you could be doing anything. Sitting on the couch watching TV, shopping with the wifey, playing with the kids/grandkids, heck, the possibilities are endless. The choice is really up to you.

I think what I play is called "Whackf**k"

Gawf.

And it's a freaking blast.

The answer is "golf." You need to change the game in the title to "Golf"

What do the rules say about getting hammered while playing? Is that still golf? :)

Just want to know.

You are playing a game using golf clubs, but it's not Golf. Think t-ball versus baseball. Kids play t-ball to make it easier, just like people improve their lie or break other USGA rules to make it easier. When my kids starting playing I would have them tee it up in the fairway and if they wanted to continue playing that way as adults, I would not have cared.

BTW, my oldest two are now 18 and 21 and they now play the golf ball down, just like me. In golf and in life I can only show them the way, they certainly don't have to follow and can live and play anyway they like.

You are playing a game using golf clubs, but it's not Golf. Think t-ball versus baseball. Kids play t-ball to make it easier, just like people improve their lie or break other USGA rules to make it easier. When my kids starting playing I would have them tee it up in the fairway and if they want to continue playing that way as adults, I could care less. BTW, my oldest two are now 18 and 21 and they now play the golf ball down, just like me.

The answer to the first question is, Hopefully doing something that you like and enjoy or failing that spending time with people you like.

Tahoebum,
I actually played with 3 younger guys like 21-26 wearing tank tops and jeans. One of them I don't think had played before. He was teeing his shots up from the fairway it was kinda funny. His friends started giving him grief but he kept doing it.

I think if its a causal round do whatever makes you have more fun is fine with me.

After reading the responses, I am happy to report that I don’t play golf. I’ll just have to start saying “a golf-like game” when I tell my wife where I’m heading on the weekends.

Mods, lock it up!

I actually played with 3 younger guys like 21-26 wearing tank tops and jeans. One of them I don't think had played before. He was teeing his shots up from the fairway it was kinda funny. His friends started giving him grief but he kept doing it.

I think if its a causal round do whatever makes you have more fun is fine with me.

Teeing up in the fairway? Completely unacceptable!

I kid. I kid. Perfectly fine when learning the game. I enjoy watching someone learn the game. Always warms my heart when they ask me a rules question. I enjoy contributing to their learning all aspects of the game. Usually, I tell them, "... by the rules, you should proceed as such..., but since you're just learning, I'd just..."

Attachments

• croquet.jpg
    croquet.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
What do the rules say about getting hammered while playing? Is that still golf? :)

I just know it’s fun
0b736efcabc33b84ded1ac75b4e7cac4.jpg

We were hammered by 9am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call it what you want but rest assured you are not alone. I suspect the majority of people who spend their free time hitting a little ball in a little hole are also playing AGLG.

Back