Hypothetical: Peak Performance?

I still hit it close to as far as I ever have, at least playing. I can't get the speed up to long drive competition levels anymore even though my normal swing looks now about like my long drive comp swing 20 years ago.

I'm going to be losing a little bit every year from here on out, which is ok as I'm getting older.

I haven't really picked up or lost any distance since about 2000 so yes. Distance does not hold back my scoring, short game does.

Absolutely.

I am in my 60s. I have no illusions about distance. There is always a set of tees to play from no matter how long, or short, a golfer hits the ball. IMHO, if a golfer plays the appropriate tees, then the golfer has plenty of distance.

Yep. Distance isnt my problem and if it were, I'd just move up a set of tees and party on.

I've always been of the opinion that the club is a very small part of it. Every year someone claims a major break through in distance or control with their newest offering. I think Ben Hogan would still be competitive with the clubs he played years ago. I'm a 71 year old, and distance is the least of my issues. Even if you hit an iron on a par 4, you will probably get on in 3.

Absolutely, I only spend the money to try to get better because I love the game. Would just start practicing more instead of driving to Golf Galaxy to hit shiny new stuff on the sim.

Sure. I can live with my distances as of today. If I were to lose significant distance I don't thibk I would continue playing the game. I can;t see myself bunting the ball 150 yards off the tee and taking two more just to get to every par 4.

Welcome to my game.

Yep. I already own clubs that can give me all the distance I could want. I am the issue.

I love all the answers in this thread, and it's so interesting to me that marketing focuses so much on distance gains despite the majority of golfers who are willing to still play the game no matter what.

I love all the answers in this thread, and it's so interesting to me that marketing focuses so much on distance gains despite the majority of golfers who are willing to still play the game no matter what.

Well you have to pay attention to the audience here, Adam - the folks here are a little more educated about gear and equipment than the average Joe or Jane. I'm a beginner, and the only custom club I have in my bag is my putter, which should speak volumes. Most would have bought a driver first.

I would still play for sure. I can always improve proximity, Luckily I hit it far enough for anything up to 7k yards so not too worried.

Back