Need advice on a possible first set irons-Wilson Staff Ci6

Edy13

Reaction score
Handicap
I have the option to pick up a set of Wilson Staff Ci6 with the Nano Tech 75 Graphite shafts at a very good price. This would be what I use as I continue to learn on and off the course for the next year or so, as I have roughly a years worth of lessons to use via GolfTec. The swing is slowly coming together and I will be venturing onto the course this month to get some 'real" playing time....

So, I'd like opinions as to whether or not this would be a "suitable" set to learn with and hone my skills or is it too much for a beginner, albeit a serious one.

The clubs I'm currently using are Goodwill purchased Ping Eye 2 and the Mizuno MP32.

Thanks....

I have the option to pick up a set of Wilson Staff Ci6 with the Nano Tech 75 Graphite shafts at a very good price. This would be what I use as I continue to learn on and off the course for the next year or so, as I have roughly a years worth of lessons to use via GolfTec. The swing is slowly coming together and I will be venturing onto the course this month to get some 'real" playing time....

So, I'd like opinions as to whether or not this would be a "suitable" set to learn with and hone my skills or is it too much for a beginner, albeit a serious one.

The clubs I'm currently using are Goodwill purchased Ping Eye 2 and the Mizuno MP32.

Thanks....

To find the equipment most suitable for you why not ask the GolfTec instructor who has been teaching you swing technique ?

I think these irons were released about 10 years ago. I'm not familiar with them enough to comment on them. But more generally, any time we are talking about 10 year old clubs I think we are pretty squarely in the cost benefit zone. How cheap are they? What are you playing now? There are a lot of options that are even 4 or 5 years old that can be had for a song.

Why not just keep playing the Ping set? What (if anything) are you using for woods, hybrids, wedges, and putter?

Why not just keep playing the Ping set? What (if anything) are you using for woods, hybrids, wedges, and putter?

No set..
Just the Ping, Mizzuno and a putter. That's it...

Would be fine if you got the whole set under $75, those are GI irons from 2006

PGA lists the resale value at $80-109

To find the equipment most suitable for you why not ask the GolfTec instructor who has been teaching you swing technique ?

I've been going long enough to know that they are not into "old" tech via my discussions during the lessons. I
wanted to get some outside thoughts about what I could pick up cheap that would serve me for a bit.

Best bang for buck scenario...

I know what works for one doesn't always transfer over to others. Too many variables to give a quick and easy answer, but I figured I'd see what others might think..

No set..
Just the Ping, Mizzuno and a putter. That's it...
I misread your first post, didn't see the clubs listed. So you want a complete iron set? Makes sense. How much are they? I might look for TM RocketBladez or Burner 2.0s, I bet you could find each for very little. See what the price difference is and make a decision.

edit: I see RocketBladez on eBay for $125-$150.

Would be fine if you got the whole set under $75, those are GI irons from 2006

PGA lists the resale value at $80-109

Thanks..
That info helps..
Appreciate it

I think these irons were released about 10 years ago. I'm not familiar with them enough to comment on them. But more generally, any time we are talking about 10 year old clubs I think we are pretty squarely in the cost benefit zone. How cheap are they? What are you playing now? There are a lot of options that are even 4 or 5 years old that can be had for a song.

that's my issue- too many choices :bulgy-eyes:
Whatever I buy will be my first complete set, so I'm trying to get the best for my budget and be able to "play" when I get out there.

Heard Wilson Staff was a solid, often overlooked option and found these for around $100.00

that's my issue- too many choices :bulgy-eyes:
Whatever I buy will be my first complete set, so I'm trying to get the best for my budget and be able to "play" when I get out there.

Heard Wilson Staff was a solid, often overlooked option and found these for around $100.00
If your budget allows for it I'd consider spending a touch more and getting RocketBladez. They are 7(?) years newer, which means more technology, etc.

You can get a set of W/S D200s for $50 on Ebay. You'll get plenty of distance and forgivability from those irons. The hybrids, fairways, and driver from that line are also great and can be had cheap too.

There is a stiff flex 4/5/6h 7-GW listing for $50 right now from QuickShipGolf. 4 days left on the listing, no bids yet. If you can get that for less than $100 it'd be worth it IMO.

If your budget allows for it I'd consider spending a touch more and getting RocketBladez. They are 7(?) years newer, which means more technology, etc.

You can get a set of W/S D200s for $50 on Ebay. You'll get plenty of distance and forgivability from those irons. The hybrids, fairways, and driver from that line are also great and can be had cheap too.

There is a stiff flex 4/5/6h 7-GW listing for $50 right now from QuickShipGolf. 4 days left on the listing, no bids yet. If you can get that for less than $100 it'd be worth it IMO.

Either of these would be good options, with much newer tech.

I don’t believe you need the latest and greatest, but the newer you can get the better, especially in that price range.

I'd agree with the others, they're good irons but there are a lot of other options that are just as good or better for the price. I play Wilson C200s now, but my old set of Ci6s are in my backup/practice bag and I still hit them fairly frequently. They're a good set of irons, but not quite as forgiving, long, or solid feeling as the C200s or probably a lot of the newer game improvement irons. FWIW, I liked them a lot more than a set of Eye 2s I had when I first got the Ci6s, mostly because they Eye 2s had way too much offset for me.

I'd agree with the others, they're good irons but there are a lot of other options that are just as good or better for the price. I play Wilson C200s now, but my old set of Ci6s are in my backup/practice bag and I still hit them fairly frequently. They're a good set of irons, but not quite as forgiving, long, or solid feeling as the C200s or probably a lot of the newer game improvement irons. FWIW, I liked them a lot more than a set of Eye 2s I had when I first got the Ci6s, mostly because they Eye 2s had way too much offset for me.

Great-
Thank You. I figured somebody had first hand experience with them..

another possibility could be the F5s from wilson. Should be able to find them pretty darn cheap and they have decent feel, good forgivness, and look great.

c200 would be a good choice as well.

another set that may fit the bill, the mizuno 825. not a bad set, though not sure what the value of those are currently. may still be a bit high.

There are many great options provided. The C200 irons have done well for Wilson and a several used sets are up on eBay. They might be worth a bit more money if that’s an option. Play well and Welcome!!

Just one club of each?

Yup
Picked up a PING Eye 2 (7) and a Miz 32 (8) at Goodwill for $2.00 each.
Use em to work on the swing around the house and for lessons...
Bought a PING Anser 2.0 new, for my Bday

I figured I'd get a set of something "good and affordable" for using on the course and getting comfortable playing until I can save the $$$ to get a state of the art SGI set later on in the new year

For what it's worth, if you're looking between the W/S F5s, C200s and D200s, you're going to have more forgiveness out of the D200s and probably more distance too.

For me the C200s went the same distance as the D200s, but I was fit for the C200s and they had graphite shafts whereas I pulled the D200s off the rack with steel. The F5s probably look the nicest but you'll see a drop in forgiveness and probably a slight drop in distance with them.

Plus, you won't find C200 or F5 sets anywhere near the price you will find a D200 set (potentially paired with hybrids).

To add on to what @duece has to say; the wilson D200s are very good clubs, and easy to hit. More forgiveness than the other W/S sets and still good looking. I highly recommend them, and I’ve only hit one once.

If anyone is keeping score.....

Was just gifted a set of very nice PING Eye 2's Red Dot..

Love 'em..
That was easy..

Big thanks to everyone who offered their advice and suggestions.

If anyone is keeping score.....

Was just gifted a set of very nice PING Eye 2's Red Dot..

Love 'em..
That was easy..

Big thanks to everyone who offered their advice and suggestions.

Solid set there, one that has really stood the test of time. Enjoy them!

We all love pics here too, so feel free to share!

Back