Srixon Z H85 Hybrid Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good read Dean! I’m not much of a hybrid player, but this is a good looking option for those that are.

Well done Dean, some solid info here and great pics as usual. I'd definitely need to try a higher loft though based on your findings.

Also, thank you for the data @ddec !

Good review. Maybe I am just not familiar with Srixon hybrids, but the face creeping up the hosel looks, a bit odd to me. Overall I like the appearance, and I doubt this "feature" would deter me from playing it, but ... just thought it looked weird.

I like the information here and the look of the club. I’ll give it a hit but that pairing with the black gives me a little pause for my game.

Nice job, Dean!

appreciate the early reads and comments fellas. If anyone followed the review thread, this was a club that took me a longer time to get comfortable with than perhaps any other club I've reviewed. Even today it still runs hot and cold for me. It's a good shape(to my eye), has a good sound(to my ears), but we certainly went through a struggle period.

data is really nice, and i'm glad you were able to get it to work for you.

am i understanding that this had a little draw bias for you? seems like most of the spin access was left. is that your typical shape?

it honestly seems like a strange decision to put what i would consider to be a better player's shaft in the hzrdus black on a larger footprint hybrid that wouldn't seem to appeal to that same demographic.

great writeup, as always.

data is really nice, and i'm glad you were able to get it to work for you.

am i understanding that this had a little draw bias for you? seems like most of the spin access was left. is that your typical shape?

it honestly seems like a strange decision to put what i would consider to be a better player's shaft in the hzrdus black on a larger footprint hybrid that wouldn't seem to appeal to that same demographic.

great writeup, as always.

yup I'm a right to left player. I come in from the inside, and battle having a slightly closed face at impact.
I understand hopping on the HZRDUS bandwagon here for the shaft choice because of the name alone. It is more recognizable than Miyazaki, even though most around here know that brand quite well. But HZRDUS is everywhere these days, so for that reason I totally understand it. That said, if I were to game this club full time, that shaft would be swapped out immediately because, for me, it felt heavy, stiff, and lacked feel through impact. Get me my VTS Silver and I bet this clubhead comes alive even more.
With all of that said, the numbers are OK. I look for a 3H to be around a 200 yard stick for me, and this gets in that area, but the feel of the stock setup would keep me from going this direction for a gamer bag.

appreciate the early reads and comments fellas. If anyone followed the review thread, this was a club that took me a longer time to get comfortable with than perhaps any other club I've reviewed. Even today it still runs hot and cold for me. It's a good shape(to my eye), has a good sound(to my ears), but we certainly went through a struggle period.

As crazy as it feels to ask you of all people this, do you think the higher launch shaft would have made it click a bit quicker? I know you hit a high ball, but the HZRDUS black is kind of a beast of a shaft. And from what I remember from the H45 (I didn't try the 65), it wasn't the highest launching head out there

As crazy as it feels to ask you of all people this, do you think the higher launch shaft would have made it click a bit quicker? I know you hit a high ball, but the HZRDUS black is kind of a beast of a shaft. And from what I remember from the H45 (I didn't try the 65), it wasn't the highest launching head out there

I think it would have been a more comfortable pairing for me. I talk about a little change in approach, which put me more on the path of sweeping instead of hitting like an iron. When I played it like that, I really struggled getting the ball in the air. HZRUDS Black for me has no kick at all, so something a bit softer will likely have produced better numbers and more consistency. Maybe not a ton, but the peace of mind would have been there me thinks.

I think it would have been a more comfortable pairing for me. I talk about a little change in approach, which put me more on the path of sweeping instead of hitting like an iron. When I played it like that, I really struggled getting the ball in the air. HZRUDS Black for me has no kick at all, so something a bit softer will likely have produced better numbers and more consistency. Maybe not a ton, but the peace of mind would have been there me thinks.

I will admit I hadn't read the review thread all that much, since I think a lot of that work was done while I was out of the country.

I was just thinking a bit about my game - I tend to like something a bit more stout in the driver, since I'm delivering the club with a positive AoA, but in the shorter clubs, I actually prefer a bit more kick - feels like it syncs me up a bit more and I'll take launch into greens, even if it comes at a bit of a distance cost.

I will admit I hadn't read the review thread all that much, since I think a lot of that work was done while I was out of the country.

I was just thinking a bit about my game - I tend to like something a bit more stout in the driver, since I'm delivering the club with a positive AoA, but in the shorter clubs, I actually prefer a bit more kick - feels like it syncs me up a bit more and I'll take launch into greens, even if it comes at a bit of a distance cost.

I know this is going to shock the hell out of you, but we are the same here.

Yeah, the HZRDUS Black hybo shaft is a hell of a stout stock choice. Would be enough to deter me personally, but, I also know what I do and don't need as a lower flight player, when you as a HIGH ball hitter had some issues, it just confirmed it for me.

In my round on Sunday I got to a spot where I could hit this if I wanted to, or go a different direction. Initially, I went with a different stick and then just said F it, I'm hitting this and I don't give a **** where it lands. Had a decent lie in the rough and was trying to position myself in a good spot to be able to hit a pitch on a par 5. Went after it with this and got that mid piercing flight that was just a touch of right to left. Even Nerfny was like "where has that shot been with this club?"

In my round on Sunday I got to a spot where I could hit this if I wanted to, or go a different direction. Initially, I went with a different stick and then just said F it, I'm hitting this and I don't give a **** where it lands. Had a decent lie in the rough and was trying to position myself in a good spot to be able to hit a pitch on a par 5. Went after it with this and got that mid piercing flight that was just a touch of right to left. Even Nerfny was like "where has that shot been with this club?"

I like I don't give a ****, Dean. He plays good golf.

So I just bought the 16* version. This is probably a dumb purchase but this sounds like a great experience.

Received it today. Thoughts, this thing is heavy. Put it on the swing weight scale and it came in f8. Length wise, it is the same shaft length as my 5 wood, maybe a little shorter. I might get it cut down half an inch and regripped. Will take it to the range for a little action first. Just need a fairway wood to complete the set....

Received it today. Thoughts, this thing is heavy. Put it on the swing weight scale and it came in f8. Length wise, it is the same shaft length as my 5 wood, maybe a little shorter. I might get it cut down half an inch and regripped. Will take it to the range for a little action first. Just need a fairway wood to complete the set....

I have the 16* also and agree it feels heavy, but personally I like the feel of it. Its an absolute bomber vs any hybrid I've hit before and find it quite easy to control... I rotate in the bag between this and my driving iron depending on the course I'm playing. I also have the 3w in the new z85 line and im very impressed with what Srixon put out this year.... im dying to get the irons but my TM's are less than a year old!

I hit this a few weeka ago in the 19 degree with the hzrdus black shaft. Tries it in 19 to along with the u85. Found this much easier to hit and the ball speeds were great.

Was hitring it against my cobra amp 19 degree and found the srixon was longer straighter and way more consistent. I tend to hit the cobra left of left yet the srixon was surprisingly straight.

Could be a potential buy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This thread really needed a bump. This was a crowd favorite at the Distance Event with Srixon that might end up being the surprise of the lineup. I really enjoyed it off the deck and off the tee it was Point and shoot for most of us at TPC Las Vegas. I got the Tour Blue 85X in mine and it seems to complement the head to give me a nice high ballflight that I want to see out of a 3h, I don’t see holding greens being a problem with this combo.

I’ll have many more thoughts about this club when I get some more time with it back here at home, but this one certainly has a spot in the bag going forward.

This thread really needed a bump. This was a crowd favorite at the Distance Event with Srixon that might end up being the surprise of the lineup. I really enjoyed it off the deck and off the tee it was Point and shoot for most of us at TPC Las Vegas. I got the Tour Blue 85X in mine and it seems to complement the head to give me a nice high ballflight that I want to see out of a 3h, I don’t see holding greens being a problem with this combo.

I’ll have many more thoughts about this club when I get some more time with it back here at home, but this one certainly has a spot in the bag going forward.

It was almost comical how much people enjoyed this one.

That's good to hear. I guess I've never really considered Srixon for the hybrid spot, it's cool seeing some hype about it.

It was almost comical how much people enjoyed this one.

I thought it would be pretty good from the time I spent with the F85 3W, but I was genuinely surprised at how good it really was. Which made me very happy!

SoIL

Were people mostly using the 2 or 3 hybrid?

I have a 2 and it was an absolute missile launcher. It was basically a 4 wood with a tiny head that was solid from the tee or fairway.

Back