Rules Question About Bunkers

If I could move the ball to a better spot in the bunker I would. If not I'd move it to the grass.

What about this one;

One of the courses that I play a lot has terrible bunkers. I'm not talking hardpan, which it was until late last season, but the deepest softest sand you'd ever play. You don't have to even hit an iron into the middle of it for it to plug. It can plug on the bounce. I hit a full 9i into one and it plugged at least 8" down. I'd have taken an unplayable but I honestly wanted to see what it would take to get out of that. After 4 digging shot I had my answer.

Prior to them filling them with this sand at the end of last year they were hardpan, which isn't anywhere near that difficult to play from. You just have to clip it similar to a tight lie on a hard fairway. No real issues.

I now purposely miss the green to the side away from these bunkers. I want no part of them. I'd much rather be downhill and shortsided than to be in them. Bunkers are supposed to be a hazard and these ones truly are. They're not bad to play out of if you gently roll into one but hitting a full iron into them will find your ball roughly halfway to China.
You are aware that you can leave a small portion of your ball showing in the hazard according to rule 12-1.a, right? This is assuming that your ball was completely covered with sand and you needed to identify it.

I’d just hit out of the darn things. The busted courses I play frequently have bunkers that are roughly as hard as concrete anyway, so there probably wouldn’t be much difference.

Back