Rules Question About Bunkers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Really its more of a how would you play this shot, for @Lions81

Let's say you are playing a new course and you go into the bunker on the first hole and upon hitting the shot realize there is some sort of metal sheet underneath the sand. No biggie, finish out the hole. Then on the 2nd hole the same thing happens. For the rest of the round, would you play out of the bunkers, or just move the ball to not risk injury of some sort or terrible golf shot?

Drop in the grass, take a stroke.

If it is a casual round, I would consider that bunker ground under repair. We have plenty of courses in our area that we do that with because there’s no sand/depth of sand in the bunkers. Take it out of the bunker no nearer the hole and play on with no penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 bunkers in the first 2 holes. My kind of day!

The formal rules will state to play it as it lies, I do not believe that you'd be warranted relief under the rules. But common sense says if there is a fear of injury or damage to the club, just do what is right and protect yourself and your fun time. I'd say drop in line with your ball and the hole, no closer to the hole and do not take a stroke penalty. Its not your fault the course has a shady operation going in their bunkers.

I'd move the ball to behind the bunker. I don't want to hurt myself or damage my clubs. Honestly, I'm not even giving myself a penalty for that placement.

Is it affecting the play out of the bunkers? If it's in them all, I would play them all as GUR & take a free drop out of them, no closer to the hole. At least until they put more sand in the bunkers.

try to find a spot in the bunker without the metal sheet if you can. If you can, take a drop there. My group, we'd make a gentleman's agreement on that because nobody wants to get hurt, or damage a club.

If I fear getting injured, I'll move over, if it's only damage to the club, I'll play in it

If it is a casual round, I would consider that bunker ground under repair. We have plenty of courses in our area that we do that with because there’s no sand/depth of sand in the bunkers. Take it out of the bunker no nearer the hole and play on with no penalty.

^^^ this.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would pick up the ball and throw it onto the green. Probably just declare that we made par.

For the record, the metal sheet was over the face/lip of the bunker.

I just wouldn't hit my ball into the bunkers anymore. :D

If you want to play it by the rules you get relief from that - immovable obstruction. Nearest point of relief, keeping it in the bunker. If you have to go outside of the bunker to get relief, it's a 1 stroke penalty.

if i was concerned about damage to the club or to me, i would tell my playing partners that i'm treating it as gur. if we're playing a match and they disagree, i would first concede the hole then i would go find new friends.

With all this rain here, the sand has either washed away or the bunker has become half sand/half water. So while I've never seen a metal sheet in one, my first inclination would be drop before the bunker, in taller grass if applicable to still cause a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shallow sand or if the metal is visable i moving it.

In all seriousness, I think my usual groups would agree we wouldn't play out of the bunkers. No chance I'm risking hurting my wrist hitting down into metal. Take a drop outside the bunker, no closer to the hole, and go from there.

Treat it as GUR and take a drop outside the bunker no closer to the hole. Not taking an unnecessary chance of hurting myself or my equipment.

Do you have any pictures? I'm having a hard time visualizing what JB described as a metal sheet under the sand where Lions said it was over the lip.

If the course can't be bothered to maintain it properly it is ground under repair. The fact that they can't afford or don't want to spend the money on it is not an excuse. Any course that has that issue should remove the bunkers entirely.

If you want to play it by the rules you get relief from that - immovable obstruction. Nearest point of relief, keeping it in the bunker. If you have to go outside of the bunker to get relief, it's a 1 stroke penalty.

Agree. Something very similar came up this year at the Canadian Open with Charlie Hoffman and basically he got relief because of a tarp underneath the sand was in his stroke. Fortunately for him he was lucky because his ball was plugged.

is the metal sheet considered to be a burrowing animal? :banghead:......:banana: Wait....wrong rule.
I know nothing and rarely do things correctly so I would probably pick up and move the ball out of the trap unless there was an area in the trap that didnt have "said burrowing metal plate". Id probably get DQ'd and then decide to never play with those playing partners again. lol....

Just move it staying within the bunker making sure there is some sand under the ball. Use your feet.

Swing the club through the air and throw the ball on the green :alien:

Seriously who cares about rules during a fun round of golf? Talk about it with your group and everyone plays it the same way for the day, that way its fair

Just move it staying within the bunker making sure there is some sand under the ball. Use your feet.

Testing the sand is against the rules, and would forthwith require your banishment from all serious Golf outings. You'll notice I used a capital G.

Swing the club through the air and throw the ball on the green :alien:

Seriously who cares about rules during a fun round of golf? Talk about it with your group and everyone plays it the same way for the day, that way its fair

MC memory 2,452...."ummmm we literally have to putt through a pond.....just pick it up and rehit it because thats just a ridiculous shot right now" (makes a great chip....makes putt....wins hole).....NICE HOLE! I have no idea how to do it more fairly than that so Im glad we all agree that was the best thing to do" (paraphrasing obviously) I was happy to lose or tie that hole that way because we all just wanted to have fun! #memories

Back