Your shot of the YEAR, 2015 edition

I have a couple "strings" of shots that really stand out for me, all from The Legacy with my partner Greggdrews.

Hole 7 Caledonia. Alternate Shot. Greggdrews (Mr. Fairway Finder) pulls his drive left, into the water hazard (I honestly didn't see him hit any other bad drive the entire trip). Advantage Erky/jhoefer. I take the drop (which will require me to hit under low hanging branches towards the green). It's match play, right, and we're up in the match? Yep, let's try to get this close to the green for Gregg. Hit the recovery shot of my life with a low 5 iron that ends up on the green with a putt for par. We tied that hole to stay up in the match.

Holes 11 and 12 Caledonia. Still Alt Shot. Greggdrews has the tee on 11, a par 3. Hits a very good tee shot to around 20 to 25 feet. I hit the putt of the competition (for me), a big right to left bender, downhill. Birdie to win the hole. I'm feeling super confident, but there's a long wait on #12 tee. Finally my tee box, and I know what I want to do; hit a nice fade and keep the pressure on. Hit basically the exact shot that I wanted to, though just missed the fairway on the right.

Partnering with Gregg and hitting those shots gave me a bunch of confidence, especially when I step to the tee box even today.

My best and worst shot of the year came on the last day of the year.

Slice driver off the tee.
Im sitting 145 out with huge trees in front of me.
I'm not sure exactly how far the trees were but it's going to be really tight to get it over and still have enough club to make it to the green. Water protecting the green, so if I don't hit it far enough, I'm in the drink.

Normally I'd play it safe, but I'm feeling really good about my stroke; I pull 9 iron (wanted to hit 8 but didn't think I'd clear the trees).
I have to take a full swing, and hope the wind helps it reach.

Barely cleared the trees. Lands a foot from the pin and bites for a tap in birdie.

I feel like a movie should be made about that shot.

I'll still remember that shot when I'm 90 and everyone close to me thinks I'm punch-drunk.

Can anyone top this for the year?...do winners get a prize? (odd are 1: 6,000,000 for a Albatross)

Albatross WPBCC January 1st, 232y 5w into 5+ mph breeze...
Drive was right FW, behind a FW bunker. The shot almost called for a 3w, however if I nutted my 5w perfect it could just get there with the right trajectory.
Ping G25 / 5w / 42.5 / D3 Fujikura VC 8.2 X Flex (awesome combo). Bam!...dead center...I hit a mid/high baby draw that penetrated, flew the bunker, hit the green then rolled 20ft to the hole.
New Years Eve I wrote a 2015 want list. One point was to consistently shoot under 75 often, well I did this day, Jan 1 (74)... with a eagle Par 5, then later a double eagle (albatross), and dropped my hcp a solid 1+ stroke for the year, perhaps I aim for another stroke lower for 2016.
Here is a pic of the hole/green, where you can see the divot is big and shows the height I got the ball to fly n hold the green, perfectly landed just before the down hill slope of the green then roll down to the pin. I think this adds to the shot as I prob swing a 5w at 95mph, and into a 5mph breeze 232y is 'cranking it' full force with a high draw shot. I did wait for a firmer breeze to go through, knowing it would knock me down, it was not all through...most of it was.
It was not a lucky shot... it was a feeling I got at the cart pulling up...that I could make it, from there I did all the math to make it happen, and knew it had to be a perfect strike...my goal was to eagle/birdie the hole, after a +1 front 9. I was in the Zone. Perhaps the only luck was the ball rolling from the divot to the hole. I think the new Adidas Tour 360 ATV/M1 shoes allowed me a stable platform too...(just bought me a new pair as I write this;)
045_zpsrbgugywn.jpg

038_zpsuuxdd1wc.jpg

Your shot of the YEAR, 2015 edition

I guess I have 2 holes that come 2 mind while I sit here in the off season.

The best hole was a short par 4 (260 yards) nothing to much to say I drive the green, leaving a 10' for eagle. I hit the down hill putt and immediately thought it was short, but it just kept trickling down into the hole. Giving my first eagle in a couple seasons.

The next was was a crazy awesome shot(IMO). It was at The Grande the Friday of the OH/MI outing. It was on a par 5 that went left to right, but if you end up on the right side of the fairway you are blocked by trees. So I ended up on the right side of the fairway in kind of a gulley, I hit the perfect cut 3w around the trees, and made it on the green in two. Once I got to the green I was pleasantly surprised to see it there. But I stuck a 3w and had it rolled out any it would have caught the ridge and rolled inside of 10'. But I did make the 2 putt birdie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back